PDA

View Full Version : PF won't run. 0xc0000142 error

Ocon12
01-09-2005, 04:06 PM
I just bought PF early this morning and installed everything like I was supposed to. I don't own IL2 so I installed it stand alone. So I finish installing it and I run it. I then get an error message telling me I've got the wrong disk in. "Please insert the correct CD-ROM, select OK and restart application" is the error message I got. So I click ok then I get another error message. "The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000142). Click OK to terminate the application."

I've tried switching disks several times and I've reinstalled 3 times. Nothing is working.
rtl.dll doesn't fix my problem, and I don't have X-Win32 installed on my computer.(at least, I don't think I do) How do I solve this problem?? Thanks.

Ocon12
01-09-2005, 04:06 PM
I just bought PF early this morning and installed everything like I was supposed to. I don't own IL2 so I installed it stand alone. So I finish installing it and I run it. I then get an error message telling me I've got the wrong disk in. "Please insert the correct CD-ROM, select OK and restart application" is the error message I got. So I click ok then I get another error message. "The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000142). Click OK to terminate the application."

I've tried switching disks several times and I've reinstalled 3 times. Nothing is working.
rtl.dll doesn't fix my problem, and I don't have X-Win32 installed on my computer.(at least, I don't think I do) How do I solve this problem?? Thanks.

TX-Zen
01-09-2005, 04:37 PM
I couldn't find anything specific on this error, which is odd. You'd think there'd be more information out there on it, but thats MS for you.

What I can see from what little information there is on it, is that this might be related to a dynamic link libray issue (filename.DLL for example). If thats the case then either a DLL that PF uses or a native windows DLL that PF interacts with is the problem and it may be corrupted.

I recommend to be sure you have all the relevant service packs and hotfixes for windows first before proceeding any further. As an IT professional you need to start somewhere in troubleshooting, so make sure your operating system is tight before going any further.

Make sure you are running DX9+, I saw at least one article where the person upgraded from 8.0 to 9.0a and that cured whatever his problem was.

When it comes to reinstalling, best bet is to completely uninstall PF first, then delete all the program folders associated with it before you reinstall. IL2/FB/Aces/PF does use any significant registry entries, so you won't need to do any regedit in this case.

I'll keep looking but my recommendations are:

SP and Hotfix to latest.
Complete uninstall of PF and program folders.
Install PF again and evaluate.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Troll2k
01-09-2005, 09:27 PM
That error usually occurs because the copy protection on disk #2 is having a problem with a cdrw or dvd drive.

If you have already tried the rts from Steve V's post in the community forums you might try running from a standard cd rom drive.

Ocon12
01-09-2005, 09:43 PM
Thanks for the replies. I've got a question though, if I were to switch to standard CD drive would I have to buy a new one or can I do it from the one I have now? I'd hate to have to buy a new one.

Tator
01-09-2005, 10:49 PM
I had this issue when installing to a secondary hard drive. Are you installing to C: or D:? Once I installed to C: everything was fine.