PDA

View Full Version : Less of the scare mongering please..........

Taylortony
12-18-2004, 08:12 PM
I have read all of these painicking posts about xyz company getting a wedgie over this, that and the other company that may be objecting to this, that and the other, you all seem to be frothing at the mouth and winding yourselves into a frenzy of lemming driven hysteria............

Chill out let it go over your heads and see what pans out, remember Hoover used to be a brand name and that became a generic description.
You seem to go overboard over these things, a lot of companies will actually help out as they see it as good marketing, the likes of MS flight sim and all the add ons would just negate any legal action, there are literally millions of add ons being made for it, and lets face it, the cost to sue Tom **** and Harry who turns out to be a 12 year old aircraft model maker will,

1 do them no good finacially and

2 make them a laughing stock...

Imagine the headlines...12 year old boy sued for his pocket money by Boeing.............. after all did you realise to put the RAF roundel on anything bar clothing breaches the copyright for it...even if you are an enemy fighter trying to sneak in.........

I would just calm done and get back to something that is really relevent and something that you know the facts too, without the mass hysteria this seems to be generating.

what we need to do is spam northrop and tell them we no longer intend to buy any of there products, I myself have cancelled my order for an F14 http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Taylortony
12-18-2004, 08:12 PM
I have read all of these painicking posts about xyz company getting a wedgie over this, that and the other company that may be objecting to this, that and the other, you all seem to be frothing at the mouth and winding yourselves into a frenzy of lemming driven hysteria............

Chill out let it go over your heads and see what pans out, remember Hoover used to be a brand name and that became a generic description.
You seem to go overboard over these things, a lot of companies will actually help out as they see it as good marketing, the likes of MS flight sim and all the add ons would just negate any legal action, there are literally millions of add ons being made for it, and lets face it, the cost to sue Tom **** and Harry who turns out to be a 12 year old aircraft model maker will,

1 do them no good finacially and

2 make them a laughing stock...

Imagine the headlines...12 year old boy sued for his pocket money by Boeing.............. after all did you realise to put the RAF roundel on anything bar clothing breaches the copyright for it...even if you are an enemy fighter trying to sneak in.........

I would just calm done and get back to something that is really relevent and something that you know the facts too, without the mass hysteria this seems to be generating.

what we need to do is spam northrop and tell them we no longer intend to buy any of there products, I myself have cancelled my order for an F14 http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

LEXX_Luthor
12-18-2004, 10:40 PM
Yes, I heard you can't legally xerox documents anymore unless its done on a Xerox brand copier. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I could see some damage modding happen. Say somebody makes realistic India/Pakistan sim, and the "Lockheed" simmers try to turn with the "MiG" simmers on the internet dogfighter servers. You see the problem for Corporate Image on the internet. Good Image for MiG though. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Now if the "Lockheed" simmers fight in the vertical against the "MiG" simmers, Lockheed comes out looking pretty good. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Maybe the Corporations don't want their reputations decided by what internet dogfighters know and don't know what to do.

Targ
12-18-2004, 10:56 PM
Here is some good reading for you.

PF trademarlk info (http://www.igda.org/Forums/showthread.php?s=cc452c0c09570448adbbad35d96c27c6&threadid=13370&perpage=15&pagenumber=1)
I would like to hear what UBI has to say about this.
Thanks to LilJugs for finding this very interesting read.

Recon_609IAP
12-18-2004, 11:07 PM
that is quite interesting

Targ
12-18-2004, 11:09 PM
Scary as well, I hope things work out.

Vladimir_No2
12-18-2004, 11:15 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Targ:
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Thank you for posting that link...how terribly disturbing this is...

LEXX_Luthor
12-18-2004, 11:24 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Well, it looks like I will not get the Northrop contact information until next week. The person at the Russian developer who dealt with the issue is traveling this week.

This developer who has produced several successful games (relative to their niche) has a very grim outlook for his future projects. To quote him,

"If the business will go by this way in future we all will need to close it... Because others also wiol ask for every gun, takn, bulled modelled in a sim for payment... The business around historical game developments will stops. Its my opinion."

It seems very unfortunate that his publisher paid Northrop instead of fighting this. A very bad precedent indeed. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dam, our I~16 was powered by Wright Cyclone derivative, and I~185 M71 powered by two of them (basically, joined together--somehow). Chimp, what happened to Wright?

HW3
12-19-2004, 02:36 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>According to the latest email from the Russian developer, Northrop has also now made demands from Microsoft (FS2004) and others.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif This would be one time I would hope Bill Gates fights and wins.

RedDeth
12-19-2004, 03:10 AM
taylor tony is possibly the ONLY one here with half a brain. thank god someone realizes this is much ado about nothing.

weve got an entire game that is out of development and finished. and now maybe 2 new planes MIGHT not make it in the game and the entire sky starts falling ....it would be actually funny except for the fact most of the community is having a literal heart attack about it. no...wait that IS the funny part.

QUACK

tHeBaLrOgRoCkS
12-19-2004, 03:28 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v323/tHeBaLrOgRoCkS/hodgesmain.jpg

Howie A
12-19-2004, 03:32 AM
Here's one more IGDA post. And thanks Targ.

I spoke to Mr. Patrick Joyce (310.201.3384) at Northrop this morning. He is the person who handles such things for their company; it might even be his only responsibility. Anyway, he was the person who requested TM fees from the Russian developer and eventually received said fees from the French publisher. He is not an attorney but here is what I could gather from our little chat.
Northrop/Grumman is requiring trademark licensing fees for the use of any aircraft, ship, boat, vehicle or weapon system that they our any of their acquired companies have ever produced. They maintain that all these things are covered by either registered trademark or ?common law? trademark, sometimes both.
Upon further inquiry, he stated that all video/computer games, motion pictures, television, and toys are subject to these fees. When asked about literature, he said no.
I brought up the fact that the US government purchased these items and that they would seemingly be public domain. He said no, that both Northrop/Grumman and the US government own rights to the items.

Monty_Thrud
12-19-2004, 03:54 AM
I dont see what all the fuss is about, surely we can use the famous planes names like the ...erm...throws flames out...and the ...erm...wild horse of the praries...i just hope we will still get the...erm...violent storm and the...erm...various kind of gnats... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Aaron_GT
12-19-2004, 04:14 AM
"Imagine the headlines...12 year old boy sued for his pocket money by ..."

Well it was the case of a girl and the RIAA that hit the headlines. Mind you, she had been illegally downloading music, so it's much more cut-and-dried.

|CoB|_Spectre
12-19-2004, 06:49 AM
Something people need to keep in mind, corporations often do not give a rip about "image", particularly if that image is held by an insignificant number of people. Consider how small a group we all comprise. Do you think some major news organization is going to champion our complaint to show the world the indignity the WWII flight sim enthusiasts have suffered at the hands of the XYZ Aircraft Corporation?

Mega corporations have huge resources with which to intimidate the little guy, but the situation can also work in reverse. Many is the time manufacturers of ladders paid-off personal injury claims because it was cheaper than the cost of defending themselves each time some, IMHO, unethical attorney lusting after a contingency fee filed a lawsuit. This invites more shakedowns , but if you lack the will and/or resources to fight it out through the courts, you try and cut your losses even if you are on the moral highground. Morality, justice and the law have nothing to do with each other.

Could be the game publisher acted on advice given by legal counsel. Could be they got bad advice or, worse, got no advice at all. Could be they did what the ladder makers did and caved-in rather than challenging the aircraft company's claims. Oleg does not have Bill Gates' resources even though he makes a far better flight sim.

Companies like Rolls Royce have retained a legal staff for years that aggressively pursues people who use their "household" name without authorization. Some of you might remember ads touting that so-and-so's product was "The Rolls Royce of..." whatever their product happened to be. You don't see that anymore, do you?

Even image-conscious Disney aggressively protects their property. There used to be a lot of ceramic greenware items based on Disney characters until Disney caught wind of it and aggressively prosecuted the sale of their unlicensed property. You can't blame them for taking action, otherwise they'd be opening the door to anyone to make a buck off their property.

Let's see how it all shakes out, but don't expect too much when it comes to business and conscience.

Taylortony
12-19-2004, 10:18 AM
what's the American Airforce up to now up to now? The F22 then shouldn't the likes of ubi trademark for future games the F23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

and while there at it, the 797 the 808 818 828 838 848 858 868 series of names for there future passenger Aircraft models.

Also trade mark every Indian name under the sun for Helicopter models and birds of prey for Fighter names for future games and then sue the manufactures for breach of copyright when they build them and attempt to use em http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

LStarosta
12-19-2004, 10:47 AM
D@mn straight. I just cancelled that Raptor that I ordered for my birthday. These b@stards aren't going to get a multimillion dollar check from me anytime soon!

tsisqua
12-19-2004, 10:57 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RedDeth:
taylor tony is possibly the ONLY one here with half a brain. thank god someone realizes this is much ado about nothing.

weve got an entire game that is out of development and finished. and now maybe 2 new planes MIGHT not make it in the game and the entire sky starts falling ....it would be actually funny except for the fact most of the community is having a literal heart attack about it. no...wait that IS the funny part.

QUACK <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Red, I agree with you, except . . .

I would hate to think, as complete as it is, that the IL2 series would be the end.

But the WORST thing: All of the development by 1C. Oleg having serious health problems, yet still worked. New baby. About 30, or so, employees to pay . . . Serious illness of lead programmer. And 1C just had its throat cut by an American (ok, USA, I know that there is more than one country in this hemisphere) company.

Not once since this started have I seen a post of concern over what this wonderful team of codework artists most certainly must be going through.

And still, us people from all over the globe are enjoying what, imo, is the best flight simulation for WWII combat ever created. How about we see what we can do about the plight of 1C, and not just "Waaaaa, I won't get my airplane in the game!".

Tsisqua

Udidtoo
12-19-2004, 11:18 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Targ:

http://www.igda.org/Forums/showthread.php?s=cc452c0c09570448adbbad35d96c27c6&threadid=13370&perpage=15&pagenumber=1
Thanks to LilJugs for finding this very interesting read. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good find Targ and thank you for bringing to our attention.

A calm, measured, intelligent exchange of information and ideas. I had heard there were forums were such things occur but I always thought it was a myth!

Who would we have to bribe in order to have those type of discussions here at UBI?

LEXX_Luthor
12-19-2004, 05:33 PM
tsisqua:: <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Not once since this started have I seen a post of concern over what this wonderful team of codework artists most certainly must be going through. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
We want more FB/BoB, they want to make it. Our Fates are linked.

Taylortony
12-19-2004, 06:16 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Udidtoo:

http://www.igda.org/Forums/showthread.php?s=cc452c0c09570448adbbad35d96c27c6&threadid=13370&perpage=15&pagenumber=1
Thanks to LilJugs for finding this very interesting read. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good find Targ and thank you for bringing to our attention.

A calm, measured, intelligent exchange of information and ideas. I had heard there were forums were such things occur but I always thought it was a myth!

Who would we have to bribe in order to have those type of discussions here at UBI? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is not a problem just make the cheque, (or for you Johnnie Foreigners) Check out to Tony Taylor and I will oblige, anyone else want one as he is being so generous?

hunhunter-texas
12-20-2004, 07:14 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RedDeth:
taylor tony is possibly the ONLY one here with half a brain.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can happily confirm that Taylortony does indeed only have half a brian!! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif

When he gets the other half they will let him fly the planes instead of just fixing them, eh mate?? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

tHeBaLrOgRoCkS
12-20-2004, 09:25 AM
Who's Brian and wheres his other half then aye ? More to the point what's Tony got him for ?