PDA

View Full Version : Newb navigation question?

thethlnk3r
07-25-2005, 08:26 PM
Just started playing and a little confused, (for example)if my watchman tell me theres a ship bearing 246 does that mean I set my compass to a new course of 246? This part confuses the **** out of me. thx http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

stinkhammer6
07-25-2005, 08:41 PM
First things first, click the buttons below your compass and depth meter to change them, I never use the compass since headings dont really mean anything. You know the directions of north south east west dont you? Its the same on the map so no real need for a compass.

Now, as Im sailing out of port I raise my periscope up just enough so part of the bottom of the scope is shaded black meaning its only part way out of its hub, when I get a ship spotted message saying 289 degrees, I use my periscope to find it and then identify what it is first before I go after it only to find its a tug boat. If its lets say a nice c3 cargo ship, then do the following:

Lock the target in your periscope, and turn towards the ship. Direct front of your boat in degrees is 0 (zero), get it to that setting and youll find the target is now in front of you, go to your map, zoom in and see what direction its going then go hard port or starboard in a manner to where you can get ahead of it cutting it off (depending on your distance to it and its speed) and cut it off or at least try to. Before you get too close submerge and hit flank so you can keep up and work on getting a good angle on the side of the ship so you can nail it with a torpedo. After a few tries of trying this youll understand. Have fun.

thethlnk3r
07-26-2005, 12:14 AM
thanks man this info was very helpful :P, one more question, at what distance (if I'm surface) to the target will I be detected?

captsteubie
07-26-2005, 12:23 AM
It all depends on light and surface conditions.

Ghostly_Magicia
07-26-2005, 12:50 AM
I've been spotted in fog before and I was about a VIIB length away from the lighthouse submerged. How the hell can you spot me like that at night http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif LOL. Then they pinged me for like 5 minutes until I got out of there. Funny Dover people (1940)