PDA

View Full Version : No Torpedo Planes???

CdnSpits
10-03-2004, 12:58 AM
How come no flyable Torpedo planes in Pacific fighter???

Are they saving those planes for the add-on or future patches??

I'm dissapointed I don't get to Torpedo a Carrier or Battleship....also since I'm on this topic..how about the Dauntless dive bomber is that going to be flyable??

CdnSpits
10-03-2004, 12:58 AM
How come no flyable Torpedo planes in Pacific fighter???

Are they saving those planes for the add-on or future patches??

I'm dissapointed I don't get to Torpedo a Carrier or Battleship....also since I'm on this topic..how about the Dauntless dive bomber is that going to be flyable??

actionhank1786
10-03-2004, 01:07 AM
hold yer horses until the patch comes out
and on the Dauntless, no probable not, because of lack of Cockpit references.

Maj_Death
10-03-2004, 03:53 AM
Ugg, please read the sticky that lists the planes in PF before you ask about them. The SBD dauntless is flyable. And I really get tired of everyone here claiming that their arn't enough cockpit references for stuff. That is only an excuse for not looking it up. I seriously doubt there is a single major plane type used in WW2 that doesn't have more than enough pictures to make a cockpit from. I also seriously doubt that there is a major type that doesn't have atleast 1 surviving example somewhere.

SaQSoN
10-03-2004, 07:15 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>And I really get tired of everyone here claiming that their arn't enough cockpit references for stuff. That is only an excuse for not looking it up. I seriously doubt there is a single major plane type used in WW2 that doesn't have more than enough pictures to make a cockpit from. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Oh, you, probably, know everything about where such info can be found. Then, please, could you send me an "in-detail" photoset of all B5N and B6N cockpits, preferably in colour? Offcourse this should be photos of fully operational aircraft, prefferably taken during the war.
And also, I would like to have detail photos of TBD bombardier position and it's bomb sight.
I believe, obtaining such info won't be any problem *for you*.
Thanks in advance.

VW-IceFire
10-03-2004, 08:38 AM
Nobody seems to care that there is a perfectly good anti-shipping flyable Beaufighter thats in the game that carries torpedos and rockets (and bombs presumably) for the purposes of sinking ships.

So is there torpedo planes? Yes! Is there the Kate, Avenger, or Devastator? Not that we know of at this time...

That may change. Sounds like they need more references...if you want torpedo planes....step upto the plate and help them out.

Arm_slinger
10-03-2004, 09:23 AM
The IL-2T can be used as a Kate substitute

Ruy Horta
10-03-2004, 10:17 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SaQSoN:
Oh, you, probably, know everything about where such info can be found. Then, please, could you send me an "in-detail" photoset of all B5N and B6N cockpits, preferably in colour? Offcourse this should be photos of fully operational aircraft, prefferably taken during the war.
And also, I would like to have detail photos of TBD bombardier position and it's bomb sight.
Thanks in advance. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You are right when it comes to certain Japanese types, but not when it comes to US types. The question will probably be one of finance. At one point I was tempted to order a document on Japanese aerial ordenance, but was held back because it would simply mean having to buy something for PF which did not serve my own particular interests.

Why should I pay lets say $50,- on behalf of 1C getting the info for free?

You might answer for the common good of other PF players, but imho that gets 1C of the hook rather cheaply.

Want manuals etc, contact the respective historical branches of the USN and USAF and also the Smithsonian. You might even try the original manufacturers. It will probably cost you quite a penny though...

So replace "not available" with "harder to get".

Bull_dog_
10-03-2004, 10:52 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SaQSoN:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>And I really get tired of everyone here claiming that their arn't enough cockpit references for stuff. That is only an excuse for not looking it up. I seriously doubt there is a single major plane type used in WW2 that doesn't have more than enough pictures to make a cockpit from. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Thanks in advance. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Such pictures may be hard to find...if they don't exist then do the best you can with what you have!!! Who the heck would be able to tell the difference anyways??? Better to go with the best you have than to not be able to fly an aircraft.

Seems like a disturbing contradiction to me. I would like to fly the Kate and if it is less than perfect, but I don't know it or nobobody can do better then...why not?

We have 109Z's, various jet aircraft that never flew, Mig 3U's & I-185's that didn't fly much etc... more contradictions.

Contradictions don't exist in the real world...if you find one, check your premises as one of them is surely wrong.

The community is ripe with exacting personalities...I believe every effort should be made to be as thorough and accurate as possible, but in the end we must act with the best information we have available at that time. To not act, to not make a decision is to make one.

To make a sim and not include "the" japanese carrier borne torpedo bomber that made the first half of the war hairy for the allies due to a lack of perfection would be completely illogical to me. Of course, I am not one of those exacting personalities so something that is as close as possible would be a far better alternative than to not have at all.

Of course all this is premised on the rumor that the Kate won't be flyable. That premise could be wrong.

Dunkelgrun
10-03-2004, 10:55 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by VW-IceFire:
Nobody seems to care that there is a perfectly good anti-shipping flyable Beaufighter thats in the game that carries torpedos and rockets (and bombs presumably) for the purposes of sinking ships.

So is there torpedo planes? Yes! Is there the Kate, Avenger, or Devastator? Not that we know of at this time...

That may change. Sounds like they need more references...if you want torpedo planes....step upto the plate and help them out. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The flyable Beaufighter is the Australian-built Type 21; which had the torpedo hardpoints removed, so no flyable torpedo-planes until the patch. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Cheers!

Arm_slinger
10-03-2004, 11:11 AM
You sure about that Geoff??? I can't for the life of me see why the Aussies would do that bearing in mind all the japanse shipping in the area.

SkyChimp
10-03-2004, 11:34 AM
Great, I was at Aeroplane Books a week or so ago and looked at a wonderful book on the TBF/TBM and it had very nice drawings and schematics of the turret, including sights, controls. I'll see what it was next time I go.

aminx
10-03-2004, 12:05 PM
i'm off to a rehab clinic.
aminx

Dunkelgrun
10-03-2004, 12:33 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Arm_slinger:
You sure about that Geoff??? I can't for the life of me see why the Aussies would do that bearing in mind all the japanse shipping in the area. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's in one of the links that you posted:

http://www.xs4all.nl/~fbonne/warbirds/ww2htmls/brisbeaufight.html#brisbeaufightverstab

Go down to DAP Beaufighter Type 21. Not only no torps but only 384 produced. This mustmean that a torpedo carrying version is coming in the patch, along with other torp a/c? Surely?

Edit: Just thought of something: the Betty could carry a torpedo, so there is one flyable torpedo bomber at least! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Arm_slinger
10-03-2004, 06:50 PM
Oh bugger, sorry Geoff

Ok im dissapointed now http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif. I was really looking forward to having a crack at some Japanese ships http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif