PDA

View Full Version : A Real Forgotten Battle: The Aleutian Islands

PBNA-Boosher
10-26-2004, 07:06 PM
The battle for the Aleutian Islands in Alaska was the only time since 1812 that US soil has ever been attacked by a foreign country, in this case it was Japan. Now that PF is out, how can we expect to create this forgotten battle?

PBNA-Boosher
10-26-2004, 07:06 PM
The battle for the Aleutian Islands in Alaska was the only time since 1812 that US soil has ever been attacked by a foreign country, in this case it was Japan. Now that PF is out, how can we expect to create this forgotten battle?

LStarosta
10-26-2004, 08:13 PM
We don't have a map of Alaska... or just the Aleutians anyway. Interesting battle, not forgotten by those who take serious interest in the battles of WWII. Really one of those against all odds scenarios. And the Aleutians sure don't seem like a nice vacation spot either :P.

T_O_A_D
10-26-2004, 08:39 PM
It was quite the battle. Not much left of the area or equipment. My Brother lives in Alaska. He went out to the airfield a few years back. Someday I'll make it up there, but doubt I spend the cash for the extra flight out to it. I'll be too busy fishing.

MystiqBlackCat
10-26-2004, 08:44 PM
I saw a program about the Aleutians in WWII on the history channel this summer, it was a very rough place to fight because of the weather and because there were very few people out there.

Was there carrier ops? I don't remember hearing anything about navy planes being involved, only marine and possibly army bombers.

Korolov
10-26-2004, 08:45 PM
I'll give you the name of a REAL forgotten and unknown conflict -

the "Kinmen War".

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

jseyerle
10-27-2004, 02:29 AM
My grandfather fought there during WW2. He was on PT Boats. He said he was more scared of freezing to death than getting shot by the enemy.