PDA

View Full Version : Innovation 'on the fly'?

Banger2004
03-09-2007, 10:07 AM
During the Battle of France in 1940, RAF Fighter Squadrons found their aircraft and tactics lacking in certain areas, such as lack of armour protection for the pilot, formations etc.
Bull Halahan, CO of No1 Squadron, initiated his own solutions to the armour plate problem by removing the armour from a damaged Fairey Battle, and fitting it to a Hurricane, albeit without the RAF or Hawkers go ahead. Numerous other changes followed with other Squadrons, such as altering aircraft underside camouflage schemes and so on.

My point (at last!) is: what other ad-hoc arrangements/adaptations did other Air Forces come up with? There must of been many such examples of common sense triumphing over officialdom, can anyone enlighten me?

BrewsterPilot
03-09-2007, 10:50 AM
I believe that the mechanics of the FAF were very innovative, I'll see if I can dig up something.

XyZspineZyX
03-09-2007, 10:55 AM
"Hub" Zemke took *out* all the armor plate from his P-47 once, including the armored windscreen. A friendly bomber's gunner clearing his gun almost a mile away put a round through the windscreen in his plane, completely by accident.

Back on the ground, Zemke put all the 'junk' back in

Banger2004
03-09-2007, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by BBB462cid:
"Hub" Zemke took *out* all the armor plate from his P-47 once, including the armored windscreen. A friendly bomber's gunner clearing his gun almost a mile away put a round through the windscreen in his plane, completely by accident.

Back on the ground, Zemke put all the 'junk' back in

Love it! Thx for that one.