PDA

View Full Version : Idea - The Extreme Content Button



Ticorvette
09-10-2007, 02:53 PM
Well I was looking into AC the other day and noticed that under the M rating that I was already aware of it said "Strong Language." Now I knew that there was violence (duh) and blood and gore, but the blood looked more like the blood you wouldn't notice because you're too busy assassinating someone or running away, not like the Gears of War blood where its almost mesmerizing. However I didn't see the need for strong language in a medevil game, quite frankly I didn't think Altair would talk much at all. Anyway to the point.

I'm suggesting to Ubisoft that there be an Extreme Content Button which would allow some of the stronger language and possibly blood to be turned off. I can't imagine this would be way too much of a hassle considering all you would have to do is mute a few worlds and possibly change a few pixels if you want to change the blood too. This would increase the amount of people that could buy AC considering there are a lot of kids that won't be alowd to buy this game because of the language and maybe gore. Personally I'm 13 but I'm getting this game either way. When playing games, the gore and language doesn't make it any more fun to play, but I do know some people that do enjoy the gore. They could leave extreme content on.
Besides, what's Altair gonna do? Curse his victims to death?

For me, an extreme content button made the difference of having it or not having it in Gears of War. Gow is the first game that it made a difference, though I've seen other games where you can turn blood and language off. I was not alowd to get it until my friend told me there was an extreme content button, at which point he and I were both alowd to get it.

I do not expect them to change the rating, only allow the blood and language to be optional so that kids may be alowd to get it.

Now I'm sure that we're not the only people in the world to which blood and language can make the difference of getting or not getting a game.

If you support this Idea, please say so. Should it get popular I might try to take it further up and edit it, but right now I just want to see who even cares.

If you're 18 or older or you're alowd to play whatever, don't spam saying this is a terrible idea. This would be a good way to increase sales and would be great for people that just don't need the blood and language.

Thanks for listening!

Edit: Errors, added some sentences.

C6

Boromir323
09-10-2007, 02:57 PM
Its a good idea, but I think I heard somewhere that it wont change the overall rating of the game.

Lhorkan
09-10-2007, 02:58 PM
The rating won't be changed if the blood and foul language were made optional, meaning that the stores or parents that do care about the ratings won't give kids the game anyway.

Edit: nice one, Boromir. <_<

moqqy
09-10-2007, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by Ticorvette:
Well I was looking into AC the other day and noticed that under the M rating that I was already aware of it said "Strong Language." Now I knew that there was violence (duh) and blood and gore, but the blood looked more like the blood you wouldn't notice because you're too busy assassinating someone or running away, not like the Gears of War blood where its almost mesmerizing. However I didn't see the need for strong language in a medevil game, quite frankly I didn't think Altair would talk much at all. Anyway to the point.

I'm suggesting to Ubisoft that there be an Extreme Content Button which would allow some of the stronger language and possibly blood to be turned off. I can't imagine this would be way too much of a hassle considering all u would have to do is mute a few worlds and possible change a few pixels if you want to change the blood too. This would increase the amount of people that could buy AC considering there are a lot of kids that won't be alowd to buy this game because of the language and maybe gore. Personally I'm 13 but I'm getting this game either way. When playing games, the gore and language doesn't make it any more fun to play, but I do know some people that do enjoy the gore. They could leave extreme content on.

For me, an extreme content button made the difference of having it or not having it in Gears of War. Gow is the first game that it made a difference, though I've seen other games where you can turn blood and language off. I was not alowd to get it until my friend told me there was an extreme content button, at which point he and I were both alowd to get it.

Now I'm sure that we're not the only people in the world to which blood and language can make the difference of getting or not getting a game.

If you support this Idea, please say so. Should it get popular I might try to take it further up and edit it, but right now I just want to see who even cares.

If you're 18 or older or you're alowd to play whatever, don't spam saying this is a terrible idea. This would be a good way to increase sales and would be great for people that just don't need the blood and language.

Thanks for listening!

C6

You have alot to learn young friend! Lie, betray, kill and steal! With these key 4 you will achieve anything in life.

Ticorvette
09-10-2007, 03:07 PM
Oh I'm aware it will not change the rating, but if kids ask there parents to let them play and theres an extreme content button they'll probably have a MUCH better chance to get it then telling them "It's really gory and theres a lot of language. Can I get it mom?"

I'm alowd to buy some M games, like halo that are on the less extreme side. However GoW I was only alowd to get due to extreme content button.

cooldude6681
09-10-2007, 03:23 PM
Ticorvette, that is one of the most mature and well-crafted posts I've seen in a while. Kudos on that. Unfortunately, even if Ubisoft added that "extreme content button" feature (which there's a good chance of, considering it's the team that made PoP:SoT which also featured the ability to reduce blood), the game's rating would still be M.

Most parents who look at ratings only look at the letter and give a dictatorial reply to their child without hearing the child's explanation of the game. I know this from personal experience http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif "I don't want M-rated games in my house the same way I don't want X-rated movies in my house" as if that's a fair comparison - Chaos Theory had NO sex in it, and less violence than The Matrix. But anyways...I forget where I was going with this, so I'm just going to go ahead and click Post Now.

Edit: Spelling errors, format changes.

AldirTheKnight
09-10-2007, 03:54 PM
well AC is a big game so they'll probably put it in the consoles to try when it comes out, and the kid can show to their parents

Boromir323
09-10-2007, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by Lhorkan
Edit: nice one, Boromir. <_<

Huh?

Kaxen6
09-10-2007, 06:59 PM
I suppose it's a decent idea. I have no idea how the average parent reacts to that. Heck, at the rate my parents are technologically useless (my dad can't grasp where the "send" button is when e-mailing), they probably wouldn't even comprehend turning the blood and swears on and off...

Though my parents weren't very worried about this stuff back when me and my brother were under 18... even when the Toys R Us employee failed to get tired of repeating to my mother "If you weren't here, he (my brother) wouldn't be able to buy this game." My mother just doesn't want sex and my dad just made my brother swear with a straight face "I know video games aren't real." And now both of us are over 18, so it isn't really much of a worry for either of us (minus the fact I look like a ten-year-old and people rarely believe I'm 18...I'm not even a midget or anything like that...).

bump2007
09-10-2007, 07:37 PM
The fact that gore can be turned on will still make this game a M rated title.

Anicrow
09-10-2007, 09:58 PM
More importantly in comparison to gears of war in a war of mature content, I think gears of war will by far take the cake. It's bloody and has some serious swearing in it. While I think there's a possibility that guards may shout something out I don't think it could be anything worse then a day of school. (now a days)

Approach your parents about the game, talk about the historical values and educational causes of it, not to mention how revolutionary it is.

Ubisoft definitely targets the older gaming crowd, but their games have always had amazing appeal to the younger bunch.

Dark_zip
09-10-2007, 11:15 PM
Your parents are just *****'s! I'm 15 and can get wathever the hell I want if I buy it myself -.- You see more violence and faul language and sex on tv! (i live in holland, Holland Rulez! we got legal drugs and legal ******s!)

SloppyCracker
09-11-2007, 12:02 AM
Hail Holand! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif But back to normal... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif It could make a difference, I guess. But it still won't change the rating. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif(First hammer http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif)

AldirTheKnight
09-11-2007, 03:20 AM
holland is full out tourists http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

Ticorvette
09-11-2007, 04:30 AM
Guys... I'm alowd to get it and I'm getting it either way, I'm aware it won't change the rating. Please read the entire first post before you post. Thanks.

bump2007
09-11-2007, 05:02 AM
Yeah we know, we are just commenting that it will still be M rated even if they did add the option of turning off the gore.

Wildeyedjokr
09-11-2007, 05:26 AM
the swearing part i don't think is from Altair, it's probably from npcs, such as the merchants you push around and or kill when bored. Plus, I do think swearing and gore would be good in this game, it just wouldn't be right if you assassinated someone, and you didn't see SOME kind of gore.

ScytheOfGrim
09-11-2007, 05:30 AM
not a bad idea, in fact, i'm not sure of anyoine knows or remembers it, the bloodiest game ever, Nanobreaker, gave you the option to chnge the colour ofthe blood to almost any colour you could think of! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gifhttp://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

it still got an "M" though... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

as said before, it won't change the rating of the game, for the simple fact that you can turn it back on. but if Ubi went and made two versions of the game, one "M" with blood and language, and the other "T" censored appropriatley, then it would work. no button needed. but i think that's a little too much trouble to go to... don't you? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

Lizard000
09-11-2007, 03:10 PM
Yes I do! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

Edit: Speaking of Spam (sos) http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/51.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif (first hammer http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif) http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/compsmash.gif (second http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif) http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

ch33zer
09-11-2007, 03:46 PM
My mom didn't even have to hear the rating. As soon as I said "Mom there's this game called Assassin's Creed" she immediately said "Do you really think that I am going to let you get a game with "Assassins" in the title?" It's the same thing with other games. I had to wait 'til Christmas to get Gears, and only after I pleaded and begged and asked only for it.

ch33zer
09-11-2007, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by ScytheOfGrim:
not a bad idea, in fact, i'm not sure of anyoine knows or remembers it, the bloodiest game ever, Nanobreaker, gave you the option to chnge the colour ofthe blood to almost any colour you could think of! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gifhttp://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

it still got an "M" though... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

as said before, it won't change the rating of the game, for the simple fact that you can turn it back on. but if Ubi went and made two versions of the game, one "M" with blood and language, and the other "T" censored appropriatley, then it would work. no button needed. but i think that's a little too much trouble to go to... don't you? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

Halo has green and blue blood and it still has blood and gore on the rating...

Recon_Reap
09-11-2007, 04:03 PM
An optional gore and language option would be a good idea.

Personally, my brother likes to watch me play games like Halo and Full Spectrum Warrior: Ten Hammers, having the ability to turn off the strong language and the gore allows me to limit what my brother sees on the screen, yes, he may see me "killing" things, but he will not see the realistic gore and increasing amount of swearing that seems to be the main point of most games to date.

Pinjani10
09-11-2007, 06:49 PM
Im 15 and my parents are becoming a tad bit more lenient when it comes to games. They realize now I wont go on a murderous rampage if I kill ppl on my TV. As long as there is no nudity/sex they dont really care

Wildeyedjokr
09-11-2007, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by Pinjani10:
Im 15 and my parents are becoming a tad bit more lenient when it comes to games.
Heh, I think I get it the best, my dad plays every game I buy, so basically if I say it's good, i've got it.

elvenmonkey13
09-11-2007, 10:34 PM
My parents are not from the U.S., so if they don't see why something needs to be rated. Same for movies.

ScytheOfGrim
09-12-2007, 05:34 AM
WOOHOO! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

lol, your parents are like mine! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

i doubt they even know the rating system!
lol, my Dad will sometimes throw a glance at the T.V. and then say either, "wow, that looks real...", or, "pfft! why do you play these cartoony things!"

and half the time it's the same game. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

Thumper1980
09-12-2007, 07:53 AM
First, If you're younger than 15 and the game is 15+, deal with it. Ratings are **** I am 20 and I play games and think to myself "My 12 year old sister could play this", but thats just the way it is, Ubisoft would be obliged to support the "M" rating and see that it's enforced, not make a back door so kids can get around it.

This is no joke like asking a company like Jack Daniels or Johnny Walker to make lesser alcoholic drinks so underage drinkers can enjoy the fun of alcohol too. A content button?
Pure gold.

Some of you guys need to take a risk, just go out and buy it, come home and just play it, like ****, liberate yourselves, break a few rules. If you can't...then keep dreaming.

GuStick93
09-12-2007, 11:36 AM
lol my parents dont care what games i buy,i just say im gna go buy one,they say ok,my dad asks if its a war game,if yes,he will play it http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif(he loves war games like call of duty)

AldirTheKnight
09-12-2007, 01:22 PM
my parents buy any game I want except if it is violent, then I lie to them http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

the_assassin_07
09-12-2007, 01:24 PM
I bought San Andreas when I was 9 http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif.

AldirTheKnight
09-12-2007, 01:26 PM
so you're younger than me? hmm, I'll push you around! rofl



SOAD ftw!

moqqy
09-12-2007, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by the_assassin_07:
I bought San Andreas when I was 9 http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif.

Yeh but not a big deal. Alot of it won't mean much if you're young. My bro and sis play it and they're 6 and 7.

AldirTheKnight
09-12-2007, 01:38 PM
like dating? hmm, those girl must REALLY enjoy coffee huh?

the_assassin_07
09-12-2007, 01:52 PM
Lol. Tell them to lay off the coffee and go for Cocaine drink (http://www.energyfiend.com/caffeine-content/cocaine-energy-drink) http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif.

elvenmonkey13
09-12-2007, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by ScytheOfGrim:
WOOHOO! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

lol, your parents are like mine! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

i doubt they even know the rating system!
lol, my Dad will sometimes throw a glance at the T.V. and then say either, "wow, that looks real...", or, "pfft! why do you play these cartoony things!"

and half the time it's the same game. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

my dad doesnt really care about anything, but my mom is just a little strict about violence. if its language or sex related, they are just like
"uoi should see what we had in our country"

Manslayer88
09-12-2007, 08:48 PM
i agree that there should be some way to manually sensor some material, but the ESRB is full of idiots nowadays. honest to god, there was no blood in Splinter Cell, yet this kid's parents wouldnt let him buy it because on the back it said "blood and gore." and another kid's parents wouldnt let him get God of War, not because of the blood and gore, not even because of the "mature sexual themes" or "nudity," but because it had "strong language." the only thing that could be even remotely considered strong language would be the fact that he continually talks about killing people. that may be the same case here in AC. i doubt Altair is going to be like Tony Montana, spouting off expletives left and right as he passes the bystanders.

Recon_Reap
09-13-2007, 03:00 AM
Originally posted by Manslayer88:
i agree that there should be some way to manually sensor some material, but the ESRB is full of idiots nowadays. honest to god, there was no blood in Splinter Cell, yet this kid's parents wouldnt let him buy it because on the back it said "blood and gore." and another kid's parents wouldnt let him get God of War, not because of the blood and gore, not even because of the "mature sexual themes" or "nudity," but because it had "strong language." the only thing that could be even remotely considered strong language would be the fact that he continually talks about killing people. that may be the same case here in AC. i doubt Altair is going to be like Tony Montana, spouting off expletives left and right as he passes the bystanders.

No drive-bys with a crossbow then?

Dam http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

AldirTheKnight
09-13-2007, 03:05 AM
lol, a shot would be slower to reload than a shotgun

DARK_ASSASSIN07
09-14-2007, 07:47 AM
I'm 12 and I can buy any game that I want if I have the money http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/mockface.gif . I bought dark messiah that's 18 plus and my mum let mae buy it but she didn't want to let me to buy it at the beginning because it had an orc soldier at the cover!

Recon_Reap
09-14-2007, 09:17 AM
Look at you, all grown up ^_^

Prol33tariat
09-14-2007, 10:28 AM
well your mother is ignorant.


maybe show her how grand theft auto and other violent games have been used as anger management devices by some of the most accredited psychologists in the world.


it seems to me that alot of parents "worried" or "concern" stems from their own lack of understanding or fear of there children doing something horrible in RL.

it is a sad world in which people get paid to make decisions for parents whom are to lazy or uninterested to decide for themselves.

my daughter is 2 and she loves to play video games with me, dead rising especially, i set her up with an excavator and she runs around, sh3e is smart enough to know thAT the R trigger makes zombies go spinny, she laughs at it....

like i would understand if it was a game in whihc you went to high school got picked on than bought an uzi from some gangster went back the next day, and got xbox achievment points for every member of the faculty and bullies and sweethearts you blasted away, all the while talking to yourself about how "nobody loves me"

or if had political messages or were outright telling people"put down the controller cut off yoru ring finger dress in robe and kill unsuspecting people"
life imitates art and vice a versa, and video games with the advent of next gen and amazing visuals are becoming more life like, more like film...more epic.....it goes to say if mel gibson made pasion of the christ for xbox360, would parents let kids play it even though the rating was M for blood gore, demons the whole nine, just because the pious, politically correct nature of the title, or would they continue to show ignorant disregard for the art.


gallalieo was censored, so was da vinci, in fact most societal challenging art has been persecuted for lack of understanding.

fact is video games, especially ones like this, are meant to be immersing, are meant to make you feel like you are altair, or the character in question...the big society moral cry out was mainly spearheaded by politicians during a period in whihc their were 5 school shootings, and almost 45 counts or incidents of violence within schools.


some cnn poll, and two weeks later tipper gore is starting the coalition which lead to the nowadays esrb.

so basically all im trying to say is the only reason anyone cares about this topic is because of misunderstanding and political spin and hype.

if you are unfortunate enough to have parents stupid and thoughtless enough to dissregard their own childs personal ability to comprehend and understand what is fiction and what is relaity, what is acceptible to do in a game and acceptable behavior in society, than your parents should not have right to parent, IMHO.

IrishBender
09-14-2007, 10:29 AM
My mother usually recomends me the gory games....I know when I was sleeping and she woke me so I can also watch Blade II http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif
I still think True Crime New York is a great game.

the_assassin_07
09-14-2007, 10:37 AM
Yeah I bought that game but it got a bit boring after you play it for a while.....

DARK_ASSASSIN07
09-15-2007, 02:04 AM
That was long took me while to read it but I won't cut of my finger and buy an uzi from a gangster
1.I can't buy an uzi even if I wanted too
2.I'm not that stupid to buy a gun and run around killing everybody
I don't know where u come from but in my neighbourhood u can't buy weapons
3.I don't play games all day
and I think that true crime new york sucks.

the_assassin_07
09-15-2007, 02:19 AM
Huh? Buy a uzi from a gangster? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

IrishBender
09-15-2007, 02:29 AM
Dito, I feel confused, too.
Maybe True Crime had some real issues, but I still love the atmosphere of the cutscenes, and redman is so stereotype funny http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

DARK_ASSASSIN07
09-15-2007, 02:33 AM
Originally posted by Prol33tariat:
well your mother is ignorant.


maybe show her how grand theft auto and other violent games have been used as anger management devices by some of the most accredited psychologists in the world.



it seems to me that alot of parents "worried" or "concern" stems from their own lack of understanding or fear of there children doing something horrible in RL.

it is a sad world in which people get paid to make decisions for parents whom are to lazy or uninterested to decide for themselves.

my daughter is 2 and she loves to play video games with me, dead rising especially, i set her up with an excavator and she runs around, sh3e is smart enough to know thAT the R trigger makes zombies go spinny, she laughs at it....

like i would understand if it was a game in whihc you went to high school got picked on than bought an uzi from some gangster went back the next day, and got xbox achievment points for every member of the faculty and bullies and sweethearts you blasted away, all the while talking to yourself about how "nobody loves me"

or if had political messages or were outright telling people"put down the controller cut off yoru ring finger dress in robe and kill unsuspecting people"
life imitates art and vice a versa, and video games with the advent of next gen and amazing visuals are becoming more life like, more like film...more epic.....it goes to say if mel gibson made pasion of the christ for xbox360, would parents let kids play it even though the rating was M for blood gore, demons the whole nine, just because the pious, politically correct nature of the title, or would they continue to show ignorant disregard for the art.


gallalieo was censored, so was da vinci, in fact most societal challenging art has been persecuted for lack of understanding.

fact is video games, especially ones like this, are meant to be immersing, are meant to make you feel like you are altair, or the character in question...the big society moral cry out was mainly spearheaded by politicians during a period in whihc their were 5 school shootings, and almost 45 counts or incidents of violence within schools.


some cnn poll, and two weeks later tipper gore is starting the coalition which lead to the nowadays esrb.

so basically all im trying to say is the only reason anyone cares about this topic is because of misunderstanding and political spin and hype.

if you are unfortunate enough to have parents stupid and thoughtless enough to dissregard their own childs personal ability to comprehend and understand what is fiction and what is relaity, what is acceptible to do in a game and acceptable behavior in society, than your parents should not have right to parent, IMHO.
read this and u'll know what I'm talkin about

the_assassin_07
09-15-2007, 02:44 AM
Oh... go away whoever said that.

Edit: Oh it was Pro33ariat or whatever. I've always hated him....

DARK_ASSASSIN07
09-15-2007, 02:50 AM
From now on I hate him too http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/784.gifhe is bad evil speaks like an adult.

the_assassin_07
09-15-2007, 02:57 AM
XD Yeah I know http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif.

DARK_ASSASSIN07
09-15-2007, 01:30 PM
Go away evil guy (ruining everything) http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_mad.gif

the_assassin_07
09-15-2007, 01:41 PM
Huh who me?

DARK_ASSASSIN07
09-16-2007, 01:37 AM
Pro33ariat not u http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/784.gif http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_mad.gif

AldirTheKnight
09-16-2007, 04:59 AM
I think he thinks he's more Italian than me http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif

DARK_ASSASSIN07
09-17-2007, 07:07 AM
? I don't understand...........