PDA

View Full Version : constant flickering, screen tearing! please help anyone

fulukai
11-14-2007, 11:53 AM
I just got the XBox 360 version from EB and have played it for about half an hour. However, the game suffers from constant flickering and screen tearing. Is there a solution for this? Could there be a problem with my DVD or is there some setting I can change (on my tv, or xbox 360 or in-game) to make this go away? Without it, the game is pretty unplayable. (I've only had this problem with one other game so far - NBA 2K6, but others incl. GoW and BioShock worked perfectly fine)

Exassassin
11-14-2007, 11:55 AM
What do you mean by flickering? There is a slight V-Sync issue in the game but not as evident as the early previews so that's the game issue. I am seriously wondering what you mean by flickering though...

b-busher
11-14-2007, 11:55 AM
I feel really bad for you seriously, but some people who keep saying the 360 version is way better should talk to this guy. Once again I,m sorry http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

AirRon_2K7
11-14-2007, 11:57 AM
Seems like the sort of thing to happen if plugs aren't plugged in correctly. Check that and then post again?!

Raide
11-14-2007, 12:06 PM
Dear Fulukai,

Please Check your 50/60Hz option on the console as well. Also have a check through your TV settings just to make sure everything is perfect. If you still have any problems it would be good to contact Tech Support and they can help if you still have a problem.

Thank You

Raide
Uk Forum Manager

fulukai
11-14-2007, 12:09 PM
I think its just screen tearing, i.e., if I let Altair just stand in one place, the scene seems to jump around a bit and tear very quickly. I went to the Xbox 360 console settings and dropped the display resolution from 1080i to 720p and the flicker seems to have reduced but is still there. I could drop it to 480 but that defeats the purpose of playing on an HD tv. Any idea how/where I can change the V-sync setting? or is there something else I need to look at? thanks

fulukai
11-14-2007, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by Raide:
Dear Fulukai,

Please Check your 50/60Hz option on the console as well. Also have a check through your TV settings just to make sure everything is perfect. If you still have any problems it would be good to contact Tech Support and they can help if you still have a problem.

Thank You

Raide
Uk Forum Manager

Thanks, let me try this and get back.

MiniAssasin
11-14-2007, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by b-busher:
I feel really bad for you seriously, but some people who keep saying the 360 version is way better should talk to this guy. Once again I,m sorry http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

why?

IHS_Spitfire
11-14-2007, 12:12 PM
Waiting all this time to play AC only to be dissapointed, I see what he means that why dude.>>!

MiniAssasin
11-14-2007, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by IHS_Spitfire:
Waiting all this time to play AC only to be dissapointed, I see what he means that why dude.>>!

no hes saying it like its a general xbox problem ompared to like the ps3 which it isnt

AirRon_2K7
11-14-2007, 12:36 PM
Don't start bringing your 360 fetish into this Mini, he wasn't saying it like that at all...

Paranoid...

b-busher
11-14-2007, 12:38 PM
I,m saying both have those problems not only the ps3 seriously calm down fanboy I have a 360 too so I,m not like you I dont go crazy if someone bad mouths a certain version. Calm down!

MiniAssasin
11-14-2007, 12:42 PM
I,m saying both have those problems not only the ps3 seriously calm down fanboy I have a 360 too so I,m not like you I dont go crazy if someone bad mouths a certain version. Calm down!

i dont have a fetish for a console

a consoles a console they are pretty much identicle in what they do and the games they play

what i do get annoyed by is people making out the is some sort of war between them.

which you were implying in your post.

Phreaky_McGeek
11-14-2007, 12:47 PM
Are you using VGA, HDMI or Component? Or an SD connection?

fulukai
11-14-2007, 01:07 PM
I'm using component. I've set the display adapter button to HDTV. I'm running on 720p resolution and don't have the 50/60Hz issue (correct me if I'm wrong) since this is an NTSC console (XBox 360 US) and an NTSC tv (Samsung LNS 3251D).

The game is still very choppy and pretty much unplayable. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif (otherwise looks like an awesome game)

Oshikai
11-14-2007, 01:10 PM
Try different reolutions, I had major screen tearing a flickering in Dead Rising but I chnaged the resolution and it was fine.

Phreaky_McGeek
11-14-2007, 01:15 PM
Running through the same settings in PAL, I often had the same problem. Strangely enough if I switch between inputs on my monitor the issue rights itself...

Anyway, I'd try experimenting with different resolutions and so forth.

fulukai
11-14-2007, 01:17 PM
tried all resolutions - no change..everything is plugged in properly as well..

currently on phone w/ tech support..will post soln if they have one

Azzerwazzer1191
11-14-2007, 01:18 PM
this happened to me with skate... i was playing it on my crappy old normal definition TV, and when i moved it to the one in the living room, which is HD, started playing in 1080i and it went REALLY smooth... also, (just throwing it out there before i get the game)has this happened to any other people who have got AC for 360, just to check this is not the games doing?

Again, sorry dude http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

fulukai
11-14-2007, 01:21 PM
the guy on the phone was pretty useless..he suggested going back to EB to replace the copy or calling Xbox tech support (which is a nightmare I dont want to relive)..sucks..any other ideas anyone? thx

Exassassin
11-14-2007, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by fulukai:
tried all resolutions - no change..everything is plugged in properly as well..

currently on phone w/ tech support..will post soln if they have one

Could be your 360 is dieing or that the game disc is bad. I would suggest getting a new copy at the store you bought it from if you tried everything else.

AirRon_2K7
11-14-2007, 01:24 PM
If I was you, I'd get a new copy from wherever you got it, since no review mentioned anything about 'unplayable' screen tearing, it may just be your disc, which does happen from time to time.

JN006
11-14-2007, 01:25 PM
It's my eastereggs!
Hope you enjoy it!!! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Cheers,
JN006

Azzerwazzer1191
11-14-2007, 01:27 PM
and if that dosen't work i give you this advice. DON'T give your xbox to people who try to fix it if it's still in warrenty... go to the place you got it and tell them it dosent play any of your games and they usually just give you another one, and don't let them take your HD! (worked for me twice, they didn't even check!)

Best of luck http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Raide
11-14-2007, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by JN006:
It's my eastereggs!
Hope you enjoy it!!! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Cheers,
JN006

Ohhh...that is pretty mean... *Runs off to find more eggs for JN006* http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif

Raide
UK "Egg Hunting" Forum Manager

AirRon_2K7
11-14-2007, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by JN006:
It's my eastereggs!

Cheers,
JN006

Your easter egg was to ruin our game? I hope burn eternally xD

Or maybe you posted on the wrong topic http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif

b-busher
11-14-2007, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by Raide:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JN006:
It's my eastereggs!

Cheers,
JN006

Ohhh...that is pretty mean... *Runs off to find more eggs for JN006* http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif

Raide
UK "Egg Hunting" Forum Manager </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Please keep your posts on topic in each thread this is your first warning.(how does it feel ehhh?)

fulukai
11-14-2007, 02:15 PM
just got a replacement copy from EB..same problem..extreme choppiness.

by any chance, does anyone have a Samsung LNS 3251D (32" LCD) TV? its prolly some setting somewhere on the TV or Xbox 360 that I need to change..

though -- GoW, Rainbow 6 Vegas, Bioshock and Halo 3 all worked without any probs

Seragath
11-14-2007, 02:40 PM
Try another TV http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

Exassassin
11-14-2007, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by fulukai:
just got a replacement copy from EB..same problem..extreme choppiness.

by any chance, does anyone have a Samsung LNS 3251D (32" LCD) TV? its prolly some setting somewhere on the TV or Xbox 360 that I need to change..

though -- GoW, Rainbow 6 Vegas, Bioshock and Halo 3 all worked without any probs

It could also be that the EB you've bought the game at has a faulty shipment. I had it happen to me a couple of times and once they got a new shipment everything worked great.

Fastr77
11-14-2007, 08:12 PM
I have the 360 version and yeah, no problems like this at all.

um.. what kinda tv do you have? is it plasma by any chance? they don't handle video games very well. (correct?)

My guess would be it's something with your TV not your box or the game itself. but even saying that i'd probably bring it back to eb and get another copy and try that, if that still doesn't do anything, hook up a friends 360 to your tv and see if it still happens.. basically just start eliminating the possibilities of whats causing the problem.

S.I.N.N.
11-14-2007, 08:16 PM
It sounds more like a connection problem than anuything else. try a different game and see if it does it.

NDDONS09
11-14-2007, 08:40 PM
yea i love how all the xbox fanboys say its so much better...u never hear of ps3 games scratching for no reason or any problems...and i dont see any rings of death with a ps3

Stiler
11-14-2007, 08:56 PM
I'm running on an lcd and I don't have flickering, but I have noticed screen tearing a couple of times when I am up high/looking at a large distance and move quickly.

xionethic
11-14-2007, 09:28 PM
i've had that problem with my old tv's (not lcd or flatscreen) , a new tv worked, if its not the TV then its the cables. if its not the cables then its the xbox 360 virus , the virus of playing ps3 standard games. lol ignore the last bit.
-----------
oh btw this problem was with the ps3, and caused by the TV. nothing further

fulukai
11-14-2007, 09:43 PM
this is what it looks like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIQRZ_YfB7Q

its come down after clearing the cache but its still very noticable and very irritating..

xionethic
11-14-2007, 09:54 PM
definitely a hardware problem there. doubt its cable have u plugged in ur xbox correctly?
The reason i say its hardware is because the camera moves. not the screen.

fulukai
11-14-2007, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by xionethic:
definitely a hardware problem there. doubt its cable have u plugged in ur xbox correctly?
The reason i say its hardware is because the camera moves. not the screen.

yes I have..just made sure all connections are tight and proper..and its only this game..dont have any problems w/ Bioshock or Halo 3

what are the remedies for overheating?

xionethic
11-14-2007, 10:16 PM
if its not hardware and u've changed discs.... then i don't know lol
------
i heard the game runs harder on assassins creed, try sotring it in a cooler place or using a power cable plugged right into the wall

trojanfoe
11-15-2007, 03:23 AM
If the problem is the same as that video from youtube then that looks nasty. It's not tearing, which is simply the lack of v-sync, which cannot be changed on the 360 (unlike most PC games).

Might sound silly but have you changed controller? I say that as it looks like it might be where the games thinks you are panning the camera when in fact you're not, due to a faulty controller.

Hassan-Sabbah
11-15-2007, 03:28 AM
Originally posted by trojanfoe:
If the problem is the same as that video from youtube then that looks nasty. It's not tearing, which is simply the lack of v-sync, which cannot be changed on the 360 (unlike most PC games).

Might sound silly but have you changed controller? I say that as it looks like it might be where the games thinks you are panning the camera when in fact you're not, due to a faulty controller.

Yes...I had something simillar with Gears of War. It wound up being the batteries in the wireless controller (though the lights did not warn me of such which I found odd).

Chris21Adan
11-15-2007, 05:42 AM
How do you check out my monitors Hertz setting using my 360??? What's the highest I can set the Hertz @?? Is 60Hz the default option or is it 50Hz??

trojanfoe
11-15-2007, 06:09 AM
It's done in the last tab of the '360 desktop-whatever-its-called. If you have a PAL 360 then you should be able to change it, however it might only be an option when using an SD-connection (SCART) rather than an HD-connection (Component, HDMI).

MiniAssasin
11-15-2007, 06:12 AM
Originally posted by Hassan-Sabbah:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by trojanfoe:

Yes...I had something simillar with Gears of War. It wound up being the batteries in the wireless controller (though the lights did not warn me of such which I found odd). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yeah based on ya video it just looks like ya controller is messed up. i man i get this on old controllers where the anologue on the move or camera start to stick.

Exassassin
11-15-2007, 06:14 AM
It's done in the last tab of the '360 desktop-whatever-its-called. If you have a PAL 360 then you should be able to change it, however it might only be an option when using an SD-connection (SCART) rather than an HD-connection (Component, VGA HDMI).

I would suggest using VGA for the topic starter if he has an HDTV. VGA is the best cable, for the best picture quality, if he doesn't have the HDMI connection.

trojanfoe
11-15-2007, 07:11 AM
That probably depends on your TV. For mine (Sony Bravia 40W2000) the VGA cable makes the picture look washed out, whereas the Component gives a much richer picture.

With the VGA cable, however, I can get full 1080p which I cannot with the Component (quirk of the TV, not the '360). I'm happy with 720p though, so that's no bother.

Exassassin
11-15-2007, 07:18 AM
That probably depends on your TV. For mine (Sony Bravia 40W2000) the VGA cable makes the picture look washed out, whereas the Component gives a much richer picture.

With the VGA cable, however, I can get full 1080p which I cannot with the Component (quirk of the TV, not the '360). I'm happy with 720p though, so that's no bother.

You did updated the console and changed the Reference Level on your 360 on Expanded right? That totally eliminates the washed out look on my Samsung HDTV. I can't imagine playing on Component again. I did it once, and everything looked so unclear like the sharpness on my TV was below the 0.

trojanfoe
11-15-2007, 07:22 AM
I keep the console up-to-date but I haven't seen anything about reference level - where is it on the '360?

I might give that a try (only problem is that now all the cables are in painted-over trunking from the A/V Receiver to the TV http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/disagree.gif).

Cheers exassassin.

Edit: dug out my VGA cable and gave it a try, however there is some sort of interference on the lefthand side of the picture so I have reverted to Component.

On the subject of 50Hz (mentioned earlier), when you change the resolution when using Component (and other cable types as well I guess) the '360 will test it on 60Hz first and then try 50Hz. Both worked fine on my telly but I told the '360 that 50Hz didn't work in the hope that I will get 60Hz all the time. I'm sure it used to be easier to set before these recent updates.

fulukai
11-15-2007, 07:21 PM
thanks for all the help guys..after trying every possible thing, it looks like my console is screwed up..am trading it in tmrw..http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif