PDA

View Full Version : [nVidia GForce 420 Go] Some problems on First-gen Powerbook, but works

bugguest
10-18-2004, 09:31 PM
Hi,
I have read some of the posts on this board, and I have had my share of probs with the Mac demo.

Unfortunatly, I have a first-gen Powerbook G4 12" (867 MHz, nVidia GForce 420 Go card with 32 MB), so it's kinda slow. Although it does run. I too have suffered from some of the problems I have read on the board:

- First, unstuffing the .zip with Expander is the right way to go. The demo ran on the first try.

- I have read that the arrow cursor is stuck in the upper-left corner, and I have this too.

- The amulet movie doesn't run. All I get is audio and some static. Once the movie runs through it returns normally to the game.

- The fact that the demo works at all on my Mac was kind of a surprise.

Basically what I want to know is: if the demo runs like this, how would the actual game run? I don't buy many games, but Myst is one that I usually do. I don't want to pay for something if it runs like this. I'm hoping that it's just the demo. If anyone has some personal experience with the full game, on a computer that shouldn't be running it but does http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif...

bugguest
10-18-2004, 09:31 PM
Hi,
I have read some of the posts on this board, and I have had my share of probs with the Mac demo.

Unfortunatly, I have a first-gen Powerbook G4 12" (867 MHz, nVidia GForce 420 Go card with 32 MB), so it's kinda slow. Although it does run. I too have suffered from some of the problems I have read on the board:

- First, unstuffing the .zip with Expander is the right way to go. The demo ran on the first try.

- I have read that the arrow cursor is stuck in the upper-left corner, and I have this too.

- The amulet movie doesn't run. All I get is audio and some static. Once the movie runs through it returns normally to the game.

- The fact that the demo works at all on my Mac was kind of a surprise.

Basically what I want to know is: if the demo runs like this, how would the actual game run? I don't buy many games, but Myst is one that I usually do. I don't want to pay for something if it runs like this. I'm hoping that it's just the demo. If anyone has some personal experience with the full game, on a computer that shouldn't be running it but does http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif...

maztec
10-18-2004, 10:34 PM
on an older system like that?

probably the same way as the demo, if at all. the full version has even more effects.

drCorn
10-19-2004, 01:22 PM
I have the same computer and problems. I'm willig to live with them all except the lack of video. Has anyone found a way to fix this. I would love to buy and play this game. But I'm not willing to get a new computer for it. It works great for everything else I've ever wanted to do.

The computer meets all requirements except that it's a laptop.

maztec
10-20-2004, 01:39 AM
I'm pretty sure the GeForce 420 Go does not fit the min specs for the game.

Roughly: GeForce 420 (cuz its 64bits) < 7500 < 440 < 460 < 9000 < 8500 < 4200 < 9600
-- Confusing isn't it??? Not to mention all the GO/MX/XP/MT/NP/Pro/etc's...

GeForce 420 GO < GeForce 420 MX

Plus the GeForce 420 apparently shares the system memory, rather than having onboard memory. This only spells disaster for games that need onboard memory (like M4 and Uru).

mpt22
10-20-2004, 03:49 AM
I currently run Myst4 rev with nvidia Geforce4 420 Go on a laptop (toshiba satellite pro M10, Windows XP PRO SP2, 512 MB RAM). I had some display problems (textures in Serenia and Haven, reading documents in Atrus bedroom, ...) until I fixed the problem with omega driver (from guru3d website) (http://www.guru3d.com) http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

The game is now running smoothly http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif. I just can't turn on DOF which is not supported by the graphic adapter.

drCorn
10-20-2004, 01:20 PM
I got the game anyway and it works, so far. Not great, but much better than the demo. That demo is a joke and I'm sure it's doing more damage than good for potential buyers. But then again, I still paid for it.

I'm running a 12" powerbook 867, 640 megs of ram on OS 10.3.4. I did a full install. I have all the extras turned off and I'm running at 800x600. It works with the features on but slows way down.

So far it's still an enjoyable game. The load between screens is about 2-4sec. A little annoying, but livable in my opinion.

Myst III runs great.

drCorn
10-20-2004, 01:28 PM
Also the sound is out of sync. But alot of people are having this problem. Even on G5s. It's sort of strange because it's not out of sync all the time.

maztec
10-20-2004, 02:28 PM
I'm trying to talk them into redoing the Demo, we'll see.

Ubi_Warder
10-20-2004, 02:59 PM
Ensure you have the latest version of Quicktime installed on your machine. Quicktime is used to play all of the movies within game.

I would also suggest giving Myst IV more memory. If ctrl-click the icon, and select Get Info - you can change the amount of memory allocated to the program.

drCorn
10-20-2004, 03:07 PM
Thanks Ubi_Warder. I'll have to give it a try. I'm running QT 6.5.1. I think that is the latest. But I was unaware that you could change the memory setting in OSX. I remember doing that in the OS9 days.

drCorn
10-20-2004, 03:15 PM
I must me missing something here. I have the window open and it looks like I can change the memory settings, but it won't let me. I can't seem to highlight the text in order to change it. Do I need to log in as root or something?

The default setting is 512kb!

Ubi_Warder
10-21-2004, 02:07 PM
My Mistake DrCorn, there is a way to allow more memory for certain programs in OSX, but I cannot remember how to configure the option.

I'll look over my "OS X for Dummies" book, but might take a while since I lost my Cliff Notes for it.

drCorn
10-21-2004, 02:53 PM
I think what I was seeing are the OS9 memory adjustments.

I only get the memory option in the "get info" window on aplications that are both OS9 and OSX compatible. Photoshop 7 for example. If I click the "Open in the Classic environment". I can then adjust the memory allocation.

OSX has a more advance memory allocation system. I don't think you can, or need to, adjust for each program.