PDA

View Full Version : Waves Attack Sub?

Chronus99
08-04-2005, 10:54 PM
Hi - I have a question. Can waves damage your sub? I was cruising in rough waters (wind at 15 kps) when suddenly the top portions of my sub were damaged??! I crashed dived immediately thinking it was a deck gun attack. However, after looking around and listening ... no ships anywhere nearby! My scouts did not report anything and I can't imagine a plane flying around in that dark, rough weather (not to mention it may have been too far from land). I recall reading somewhere that waves (in real life) can literally break a ship.

Incidentally, I'd like to post a shot of one of these waves but I don't know how to do it. Anyone willing to help?

HimmelJaeger
08-04-2005, 10:55 PM
sure bro. Send the pic to me at jg52_vonjager@hotmail.com and I will host it for ya.

HimmelJaeger
08-04-2005, 11:06 PM
Just please send it in the next 10 minutes or so and let me know in this thread if/when you do.

Chronus99
08-04-2005, 11:12 PM
Thanks for the offer.

Unfortunately, my Virus Scanner won't let me send it to you so I'll need to figure that out.

Are there simple instructions that I can follow to post the pic?

Thanks, again!

HimmelJaeger
08-04-2005, 11:18 PM
Ah! Well, I took the liberty of setting up a free image hosting account at http://www.photobucket.com

Just use this to log in.

User Name is Chronus99

Password is Chronus99

Once there, uplaod your image, and then copy/paste the link in here. You can also change your password too, so noone else on here will jack your account. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Funkasoar
08-04-2005, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by Chronus99:
Thanks for the offer.

Unfortunately, my Virus Scanner won't let me send it to you so I'll need to figure that out.

Are there simple instructions that I can follow to post the pic?

Thanks, again!

You let your virus scanner give you that kind of guff? Here's a hint: if it's a native windows app then it's garbage. Also there's the idea of just turning it off maybe...

Chronus99
08-04-2005, 11:30 PM
Thanks for the help ... and yes, I did disable the VirusScan but to no avail. It still came up with a protocol error.

Anyway, let's try this ...

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a147/Chronus99/SH3Img4-8-2005_20.jpg

Also, back to my original question ... can waves damage subs/ships in the game?

Ghostly_Magicia
08-05-2005, 12:09 AM
I remember a similar wave that just splashed higher then me :| Lagged me to much.

horribleron
08-05-2005, 05:03 AM
I've not had waves damage my boat yet in SH3 but that doesn't mean it can't happen. From Dec 1942 on the allies base planes out of the Azores and Iceland so they can attack you pretty much anywhere in the North Atlantic in any weather except medium and heavy fog/rain and they attack at night too as they have radar (Sunderlands, PBY's, and B-24's). Oh fun!

Horribleron

CRSutton
08-05-2005, 04:02 PM
Submarines offered up a low resistance to waves-sort of like a surfboard does and it would be hard to damage one with wave action. That does not mean it is impossible. Waves are more likely to damage protruding items such as antennae and guns, but the hull and tower were pretty durable and streamlined. In fact, early in the war before radar became such an issue, subs would escape surface ships in heavy weather by running on the surface. By turning head on into the weather, the sub could make fairly decent speed and actually outrun a faster surface vessel which would have to slow down due to the real resisitance and possiblilty of damage when running a ship into heavy seas.

If the weather was bad enough-even the sub had to take a pass and submerge to wait it out.

CRSutton
08-05-2005, 04:13 PM
Ok, since you asked, here is a sea story. In the late 70s I was a crewman aboard a very fast contaniner ship called a SL7. The ship was designed to cruise at 28 knots (really I'm not lying) and could do top speed of 31 knots. It had two massive twin boilers and twin shafts-rare for a merchant ship. Built long and narrow with a reinforced bow the ship was designed to clip through North Altantic storms and could do an easy 20 knots in all but the worst seas. Really impressive vessels. I think seven of them were built and owned by Sea Land. I ran the North Altantic run during the winter for a few seasons on them.

But talk about wave action. You had to see with your own eyes to believe the damage that Atlantic storms can do to a ship banging through at 20 knots. I saw containers smashed to bits, gangways ripped to shreds and so on. Eventually the ships began to crack in the deck plate just behind the forehouse and they had to slow them down a bit. Never been on a ship that rolled as bad and the pounding up forward in a major sea was just pure hell.

The ships were sold to the navy and underwent major rebuilds. They are now used as supply ships for the for the rapid deployment forces of the army. They are operated by the military sealift command. Still the most amazing ships I ever had seen.

Chronus99
08-05-2005, 11:02 PM
From Dec 1942 on the allies base planes out of the Azores and Iceland so they can attack you pretty much anywhere in the North Atlantic in any weather except medium and heavy fog/rain and they attack at night too as they have radar (Sunderlands, PBY's, and B-24's). Oh fun!

Ya know ... looking at the map ... I was within aircraft range. The part that gets me is that my crew did not say anything about a plane. Was it flying above the clouds and simply performed a lucky, one-time shot? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif By the way, it's the summer of 1940.