PDA

View Full Version : Myst 4 doesn't start (different issue than other threads)

SWB1
11-09-2004, 08:57 PM
Okay, I've read the other threads (e.g. "Myst 4 will not launch" and "Myst IV will not run"), but my problem is slightly different.

My system:

* IBM Thinkpad A31p
* ATI Mobility Radeon FIREGL 7800

I originally installed Myst 4 a few weeks ago, but I was having the much-discussed ATI 7xxx problems (graphics problems, freezing in the first room). The ares_config.xml fix took care of the graphics problems, but I was still freezing in the first room. I needed the hard drive space temporarily, so I uninstalled Myst 4 and decided to wait for a patch.

Seeing that a patch is now available, I went ahead and reinstalled Myst 4. Before installing the patch, I decided I would try a couple of different driver versions, since I had read that worked for some other users, and I hadn't tried that the first time. I tried going back to an older IBM driver that another user reported as working, I tried the latest Omega drivers, and I tried using the ATI Mobolity Modder on the 4.9 release of ATI's Catalyst drivers (the modder didn't work on the 4.10 release). Also, I tried going back to the latest IBM drivers, which is what I had installed the first time, and I tried installing the Myst 4 patch.

In every case, Myst 4 simply doesn't run at all anymore. This is different than the other "Myst 4 not running" threads I've seen ... In those cases, the users report seeing a message (e.g. "wrong volume in drive") or they report the screen going black before returning them to the desktop. In my case, niether happens. In fact, nothing at all happens. The game simply doesn't start.

I've tried watching the Processes tab in Task Manager while I start the game. Sometimes I see the Myst4.exe process show up for a fraction of a second before it disappears. Often, though, the process starts and ends too quickly for Task Manager to even notice it.

I've checked DxDiag, and everything appears to be okay. With a few of the drivers I tried, the Myst 4 Configurator also reported everything okay (green checks by everything); with others, there were green checks by everything except "Compatible graphics driver." I even tried uninstalling and reinstalling Myst 4 a couple of times.

Remember that other than the freezing-in-the-second-room issue, Myst 4 worked just fine the first time I installed it. Now, though, no matter what I've tried, Myst 4 won't run at all.

I'm out of ideas. Anybody else have any?

SWB1
11-09-2004, 08:57 PM
Okay, I've read the other threads (e.g. "Myst 4 will not launch" and "Myst IV will not run"), but my problem is slightly different.

My system:

* IBM Thinkpad A31p
* ATI Mobility Radeon FIREGL 7800

I originally installed Myst 4 a few weeks ago, but I was having the much-discussed ATI 7xxx problems (graphics problems, freezing in the first room). The ares_config.xml fix took care of the graphics problems, but I was still freezing in the first room. I needed the hard drive space temporarily, so I uninstalled Myst 4 and decided to wait for a patch.

Seeing that a patch is now available, I went ahead and reinstalled Myst 4. Before installing the patch, I decided I would try a couple of different driver versions, since I had read that worked for some other users, and I hadn't tried that the first time. I tried going back to an older IBM driver that another user reported as working, I tried the latest Omega drivers, and I tried using the ATI Mobolity Modder on the 4.9 release of ATI's Catalyst drivers (the modder didn't work on the 4.10 release). Also, I tried going back to the latest IBM drivers, which is what I had installed the first time, and I tried installing the Myst 4 patch.

In every case, Myst 4 simply doesn't run at all anymore. This is different than the other "Myst 4 not running" threads I've seen ... In those cases, the users report seeing a message (e.g. "wrong volume in drive") or they report the screen going black before returning them to the desktop. In my case, niether happens. In fact, nothing at all happens. The game simply doesn't start.

I've tried watching the Processes tab in Task Manager while I start the game. Sometimes I see the Myst4.exe process show up for a fraction of a second before it disappears. Often, though, the process starts and ends too quickly for Task Manager to even notice it.

I've checked DxDiag, and everything appears to be okay. With a few of the drivers I tried, the Myst 4 Configurator also reported everything okay (green checks by everything); with others, there were green checks by everything except "Compatible graphics driver." I even tried uninstalling and reinstalling Myst 4 a couple of times.

Remember that other than the freezing-in-the-second-room issue, Myst 4 worked just fine the first time I installed it. Now, though, no matter what I've tried, Myst 4 won't run at all.

I'm out of ideas. Anybody else have any?

maztec
11-09-2004, 09:21 PM
Safe Mode

Uninstall Video Drivers

Uninstall Myst

Reboot

Install Video Drivers

Install Myst

Don't Install Patch

Install Patch v1.02 when it becomes available -- sometime in the next week.

Maz