PDA

View Full Version : Me262 bombing help or tips?

Saburo_0
11-30-2009, 04:47 PM
Any of you Experten out there that can help me hit the broad side of a barn with a bomb from the Me262?

AndyJWest
11-30-2009, 05:36 PM
I'm no 'Experten' but I did a bit of Me-262 ground attack a while back, and it didn't seem to present any particular difficulties, from what I remembered, so I've just had a quick refresher with the QMB, and demolished a hilltop fort on the MTO map with my first attempt. A little bigger than a barn door, admittedly.

A few things strike me. Firstly, the only sensible way to bomb is from a shallow dive. There's no bombsight, which rules out level bombing, and near-vertical dive bombing is more likely to result in an expensive lawn dart impersonation than a successful attack. Knowing this it just comes down to locating your target, selecting the appropriate speed, pointing your nose at it, and picking the right time to release. It will be faster than in a prop plane, so you will need to have quick reactions, but with no prop torque accuracy should be less problematic. You will have to be careful with the throttle, as violent movements, especially at high speeds, can cause fires or flame-outs: I'd try to stay below 500 km/h where the risks of this occuring are less, though it can happen at any speed.

The 262 is a heavy beast, so don't make things worse by taking more fuel than you need, and take care in the pullup. You will only need a small delay setting for the bombs- 2 sec will be ample, I'd think. Remember the 30mm cannons are devastating in ground attack, and no torque helps with aim here too.

Good luck!

Saburo_0
11-30-2009, 05:53 PM
Well, clearly, Hare Power is the key...just kidding. Do you have any visual cues you use with this fighter? Or recommended drop altitudes?

I know I just need to practice, but...The keeping it under 500kph sounds like a good idea btw!

AndyJWest
11-30-2009, 06:07 PM
With me, low-level bombing has always been seat-of-the-pants stuff, rather than hard and fast rules. Normally I use gunsight view, aim that a the target until almost on it, pull up the nose a degree or so, then release when I feel it is right - this just comes with practice. With the 262, you've got a better view over the nose without using the gunsight, so provided you are properly lined up on the target, that it probably better to use normal view instead. With the speed you are coming in at, there is a fairly wide margin of error for drop distance, as the bombs won't deviate much from their initial path.

Things wil get more interesting if you are being shot at, and it may be sensible to sacrifice accuracy for survival and release from further off, but otherwise, provided you can safely pull out and have a delay set on the bombs, the closer you release, the better.

I may be geting this all wrong of course - I'm sure others can offer suggestions too. Guys?

Romanator21
11-30-2009, 06:53 PM
If you fly the Arado jet bomber it will give an idea of how to do fast strike bombing. Pressing the key that gives you the bombardier position on most planes gives you a secondary periscope view in this plane. Fly in a fast shallow approach to the target, and place the cross hairs on the target. A little pipper starts to move up towards the center from the bottom.

To aim, hold the target steady at the crosshairs, and when you need to release, put the moving pipper on the target, and drop your eggs. Basically, fly at the target, and pull up slightly when you drop the bombs. You should hit right on target.

A similar sight exists on the Ju-87 D-5 and Ju-88, but you must input your altitude and airspeed manually for it to work properly. The sight on the Arado does everything automatically. For every other ground attack aircraft like Mosquitos, Me-262, A-20, etc, you just have to ballpark it and gain experience.

beNdeR__
11-30-2009, 07:41 PM
When I'm really low in a shallow dive, say 15-45 degrees, I find that the most accurate way to drop bombs is when your target disappears beneath the nose of the plane. I find this becomes less useful as you try from higher altitudes, were you probably want to be unless you like being swiss cheese, but at those altitudes you can dive at steeper angles, so its a bit easier to be accurate. When all else fails, use a bigger bomb. The 250kg bombs from Soviets and Luftwaffe are nice, and the Luftwaffe 500kg bomb is great, but you still need to get pretty close to take out armored stuff like tanks, but it will decimate planes and soft convoys.

Romanator21
11-30-2009, 08:02 PM
No reason for a 1000kg bomb to do a 250 kg bomb's job http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif Those fat eggs that a lot of Stuka pilots carry online were for ships, but I see them used on cars, which is hilarious. While the big 1000 has a big boom, the 250 kg + 4 60 kg loadout is lighter, and it's arguable that peppering 5 smaller bombs over a target area is better than 1 big bomb that misses. In Jimmy Doolittle's autobiography he mentions that in tests 2 250 lb bombs were much more effective at destroying the target than 1 500 lb bomb.

psykopatsak
12-01-2009, 11:40 AM
i just do with outside wiev, from feeling. comes from flyign AI aircraft online http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

thefruitbat
12-01-2009, 11:45 AM
come in at a shallowish dive, have the crosshairs just above the target, and come in fast, and then its just practise of when to release, record a track of your pracise runs, to see where the bombs dropping.

With practise you can drop your bombs very accuratly like this.