PDA

View Full Version : Summary of the U-Boat types?

Giantsfan24
03-12-2005, 05:32 PM
Since I have very little knowledge of U-Boats(I could spot one it it were driving down the street) can someone writing a short little summary of each U-Boat and maybe it's stregths and weaknesses. As I have said before, I'm one of the mainstream audience UBI wanted to attact with this game.

Giantsfan24
03-12-2005, 05:32 PM
Since I have very little knowledge of U-Boats(I could spot one it it were driving down the street) can someone writing a short little summary of each U-Boat and maybe it's stregths and weaknesses. As I have said before, I'm one of the mainstream audience UBI wanted to attact with this game.

JG27_Arklight
03-12-2005, 05:36 PM
www.uboat.net (http://www.uboat.net) has a wealth of info and pictures.

Very informative site.

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

NastyHyena
03-12-2005, 05:53 PM
Type II: Short-range coastal boat. Slow, limited depth, limited torpedo load (3+2).
Smaller target and more agile than larger boats.

Type VII: Mid-range boat, overall average in speed and maneuvering abilites. Heavier loadout than Type II, also has a rear-facing torpedo tube, and an 8.8cm deck gun (no relation to 8.8cm Flak). Jack of all trades boat.

Type IX: Long range boat. Larger and less agile than previous boats. Faster surface speed with longer endurance. Heavier torpedo load, larger surface armament with multiple Flak guns, and a 10.5cm deck gun versus the 8.8cm on the Type VII.

Type XXI: 'Elektro Boot.' Fast on the surface, faster submerged(!). Heavy torpedo load (6+22) using six foreward tubes. Significantly increased underwater endurace and stealthiness compared to other uboats. Limited surface attack abilities (no deck gun, 2 flak positions). Submerged attack ability BELOW periscope depth through the use of active sonar system.

Thats all my oppinion anyways, dont go to the bank with it http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

HeibgesU999
03-12-2005, 07:50 PM
The Type XXI was not very fast on the surface.

Giantsfan24
03-12-2005, 10:42 PM
Thanks guys. What do you guys think(being more knowledgable than me) will be added on if an expansion is released(in terms of adding subs)?

fordfan25
03-12-2005, 10:58 PM
what was the type used in das-boot?

necrobaron
03-12-2005, 11:50 PM
I understand the general stuff about the different types, but can someone explain(or direct me to a good site that explains) the differences in the different varients and conning tower options for each type? Uboat.net touches on these things, but doesn't really seem to go into that much detail. The somewhat...crude...graphical depictions of the U-boats also don't really clearly show what the visual differences were either.

dagamecat
03-13-2005, 02:59 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by fordfan25:
what was the type used in das-boot? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

that's a Type VII-C

oscar0072004
03-13-2005, 01:01 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dagamecat:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by fordfan25:
what was the type used in das-boot? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

that's a Type VII-C <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It was the u-96 to be exact . Its based on a true story.

u2336
03-13-2005, 01:13 PM
About the conning towers :

I will try to sort by type of uboote.

- type II. No real change, except an extended wintergarten to install a single 7.62mm falk gun for the IID.

- type VII. More interesting. The B (late) and C models had a standard wintergarten with a single 20mm flak gun for AA defense. From 1942, the aerial threat began to be a problem for the uboote cruising on surface (yes those uboote were more like a ship that could dive to hide or to attack than real sub like the XXI...), they began to introduce a new type of conning tower for the VIIC, with a second wintergarten and 4 20mm flak guns, and a single 37mm flak guns or again more 20mm guns.
In 1943, they kept this extended conning tower (CT) and took off the deck gun that was totally useless regarding the impossibility for the uboote to attack on surface (convoy + DDs.....)
The U-flak was a modified VIIC that saw her WT extended on the fore and back. (U441 if I remember well)

-type IX. Same developpment than the VIIs. Final version with IXC41 and long range IX2D2.

- type XXI. No CT change

- type XXIII. No CT change

I cant tell you everything, but there were so many different projects regarding the uboote CT that you should really buy the book by E.R√¬∂ssler "the U-Boats". It tells EVERYTHING.