PDA

View Full Version : taking off from ground or aircraft carrier

sonofahb25
05-08-2007, 06:43 AM
ok just like the title says.... how do you take off? i press "i" to staert the engine and get it 110% running but nothing happens i just sit there. bare with me im total noob at this game. i am trying the training missions but the only mission i can run are the ones that start off with me in the air already. help ah noob out!!!

Skycat_2
05-08-2007, 07:01 AM
Pacific Fighters specifically (and the IL-2 FB series in general) requires that you define your own key commands for several necessary functions. One of those important functions is the ability to pull and set the invisible wheel chocks that keep carrier planes from moving around the deck ... these chocks are also present for some of the land-based planes when you first start the game. To define a key, go into the Controls area of your main menu and type the key(s) combination you want to bind to the chocks in the empty space to the right of this function's description.

Other important keys you'll have to set yourself include 'tail hook,' 'canopy open,' 'seat raise' (to see over the nose when approaching carriers), manual landing gear raise and lower (for the Wildcat specifically), and the bomb and gunsight adjustment controls. See this thread for some ideas:
http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/26310365/m/990...901017394&f=26310365 (http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/26310365/m/9901017394?a=tpc&s=400102&m=9901017394&f=26310365)

buzzsaw1939
05-08-2007, 07:11 AM
I'm still figureing this stuff out myself, but I can get you started, in the controls page, assign a key for chocks , you will find that it helps to do the same for tail wheel lock, just release the chocks when your powerd up on carriers, I think the only planes so far that I'm haveing trouble with, are the 262 and the yp80, turns out, that one has an unreliable engine, some times it goes, somtimes it dosen't, your going to love this sim when you get used to it, but you will spend time in here, they are a great bunch of guys. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

buzzsaw1939
05-08-2007, 07:14 AM
Skycat beat me to it , but see what I meen! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Zeus-cat
05-08-2007, 04:04 PM
I created a campaign that walks you through takeoffs and landings using an SBD-3. You start on land and then progress to carriers. I tell you what keys you need to map at each mission. The campaign is called "Straight From the Farm". You can get it by following the link to Mission4Today.

Lehnert
05-08-2007, 05:10 PM
Hello Zeus-cat,
thank you very much for your Straight From the Farm missions !!

I have changed some of them a little for my own use with german planes to practice landing and to fight and destroy ground targets.

And it works fine !!
Also to practice start and landing on carriers after some exercises with a part of your missions ( simulation of carrier start amd landing at a gras strip)

My skill in landing the different planes and destroy ground targets,too, is growing up immediatly !!

As example:
I am landing under fire at the grasstrip - stop - turn and start again and fire then at the moving trucks and the not moving planes.

Thank you again for this missions !!

Cheers,
Gerhard from Munic / Bavarian / Germany

Originally posted by Zeus-cat:
I created a campaign that walks you through takeoffs and landings using an SBD-3. You start on land and then progress to carriers. I tell you what keys you need to map at each mission. The campaign is called "Straight From the Farm". You can get it by following the link to Mission4Today.

Zeus-cat
05-08-2007, 08:28 PM
Guten Tag Lehnert,

Ich wuchs in einer kleinen Stadt in Minnesota auf. Die stadt war Nei Ulm (New Ulm).

OK, I cheated and used babelfish to translate the above, but I pretty much knew what it said once it was translated. I studied German for 6 years, but it was so long ago I don't remember how to write anything.

I've been to Bavaria, sehr schon!