PDA

View Full Version : Big guns on Lex

lbhskier37
10-01-2004, 04:07 PM
Did anyone notice that they aren't firing at the Bettys? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif Either something is improved in ships and they now only fire at planes with their AA guns, or the Lex's guns are non-functional. Hopefully its not the later.

lbhskier37
10-01-2004, 04:07 PM
Did anyone notice that they aren't firing at the Bettys? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif Either something is improved in ships and they now only fire at planes with their AA guns, or the Lex's guns are non-functional. Hopefully its not the later.

Fliger747
10-01-2004, 04:35 PM
The 8" rifles (pre-war) mounted on the model of the Lex, were not rated for AA use, and were eventually removed. These were originally designed to help the LEX protect herself from Crusiers. Battleships of the period were generally too slow to catch her unless if un-aware (Kongo's an exception).

Saratoga was eventually equiped with four twin fast firing 5"38 twin mounts, which when coupled with VT fuzes and the excellent M37 Director system, were very effective.

Fritzofn
10-01-2004, 06:19 PM
didnt Lex (and other carriers) use the bigger guns to fire at low flying torpedo planes????

Latico
10-01-2004, 06:33 PM
The 8 inch guns were not suited for defense against air attack. They were intended as defense against surface threats. I believe that these gones were removed at Pearl Harbor and replaced by the 5/38's before either the Lex or Sara engaged in combat.

The 5/38's, I think, were replace later with 40MM quads on the Saratoga. I know they were on the Enterprise.

Tater-SW-
10-01-2004, 08:50 PM
As I recall off the top of my head (I lent out First Team, lol) Lex had her's replaced with 1.1in AAA mounts, or was it 40mms? March 26th when she went in to Pearl until April something when they made for the SoPac.

tater

Fliger747
10-01-2004, 09:38 PM
It was 1.1's, just like those mounted on the Yorktown at Midway, the 40 mm mount hadn't reached fleet service as yet. The US Navy had placed it's hopes in this weapon (the 1.1) but it proved to be overly complex and prone to failure. Adoption of the Swedish 40mm Bofors and Swiss Orlikon 20 mm and their adaption to US production techniques provided the USN with the world best suite of close and medium range AA weapons, adequate when fitted in massive numbers till the advent of the Kamakaze.

No Navy pre-war had adequate AA, but the USN was quick to realize the importance of this and had the industrial base to acomplish the task.

lbhskier37
10-02-2004, 08:31 AM
I know the history of the guns. What I meant was right now anything with guns shoots at aircraft no matter whether it is supposed to or not. Maybe this means that has been fixed and battleships wont fire their main guns at planes, and tanks will stop being main gun snipers.

Fennec_P
10-02-2004, 04:40 PM
The big guns were actually for clearing damaged planes from the flght deck.

BfHeFwMe
10-03-2004, 12:44 AM
The bomb that broke the Yoktowns back wasn't the biggest one to hit it that day. It was a freak incident, a lucky hit in one of the patched holes where the armored gun turrents had been removed, passed clean through the hanger bay and down through four decks. There was no armor protection or thick decking installed to replace the armored turrents, wouldn't have been lost if it had struck the flight deck or just about any other spot.

Tater-SW-
10-03-2004, 08:41 AM
Yorktown didn't have her "back broken" by any of the 3 bombs that hit her at Midway on June 4. She was damaged, repaired enough to make way and look undamaged. Yorktown only took on a list after the next attack over 4 hours later saw her hit by 2 torpedos, but would have made Pearl had she not been torpedoed by I-168 2 days later. She didn't sink until the 7th.

tater

BfHeFwMe
10-03-2004, 10:57 PM
She was abandoned and never launched another sortie because of that hit, I'd call that a broken back. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

Latico
10-04-2004, 12:04 AM
The Yorktown was in tow, with the USS Hamann alng side conducting salvage ops when she was hit by torps from I-168. Her boilers had been destroyed but they hoped to get her back to Pearl and rebuild.

One of the torpedos hit the Hamann midship and broke her in half. She sank in minutes.

Tater-SW-
10-04-2004, 01:11 AM
I'd usually think of a broken back as a broken keel. hamann, for example.

Yorktown would have made it with just the 3 bomb hits, not question. By the time the next strike came they did realize she'd been hit.

tater

wheels_____
10-04-2004, 02:05 AM
I seem to recall that the Yorktown had manage to get herself underway when the fatal torpedo attack came.

The 8" guns on the Lexi were removed proir to the Coral Sea battle.

<S>

F16_Fatboy
10-04-2004, 07:55 AM
Far to many guessing here!

Have a look at

http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USN/ships/CV/CV-5_Yorktown.html

and further down that side the

http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USN/ships/logs/CV/cv5-Midway.html

FLSTF