PDA

View Full Version : Option to adjust tracer placement in ammo loadout.

IVJG51_Swine
05-01-2005, 08:58 PM
It's widely known that pilots had the ability to adjust tracer placement in their ammo load outs. Some actually preferred to leave them to the final rounds to give notice of running low. I would actually prefer to fire .50s without tracers but that's just me. Is there anyway to allow this so it's an option? I realize that this has probably been discussed but I thought I would throw it out anyway.

IVJG51_Swine
05-01-2005, 08:58 PM
It's widely known that pilots had the ability to adjust tracer placement in their ammo load outs. Some actually preferred to leave them to the final rounds to give notice of running low. I would actually prefer to fire .50s without tracers but that's just me. Is there anyway to allow this so it's an option? I realize that this has probably been discussed but I thought I would throw it out anyway.

ImpStarDuece
05-01-2005, 10:15 PM
Oleg has stated that adjustable ammunition and belt loadouts will not be included for the IL2 serise. So that means *probably* no.

On a more positive note it has been leaked that there will be adjustable belt loading available for BoB. So if your patient then you can adjust away until your hearts content. Hope you can handle a few years without it though.

TAGERT.
05-01-2005, 11:38 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by IVJG51_Swine:
It's widely known that pilots had the ability to adjust tracer placement in their ammo load outs. Some actually preferred to leave them to the final rounds to give notice of running low. I would actually prefer to fire .50s without tracers but that's just me. Is there anyway to allow this so it's an option? I realize that this has probably been discussed but I thought I would throw it out anyway. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>That would be cool.. But in light of the fact that they can not fix anything in the Java GUI that is important.. Like calibrating the JS or limiting the insigna per side I doubt they could add that selection to the Java GUI menu(s). That must have been the first guy they laid off because except for the color/skin it has not changed sense the orgianl IL2.

Blackjack174
05-02-2005, 02:19 PM
of course there would have to be restrictive belt altering, or someone could remove all the tracers out of his belt, good for nasty surprises (i know i could live only seeing the impacts on the enemy , no need for tracers, although not very realistic http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif)
hope he is considering that for BOB....

Aaron_GT
05-02-2005, 03:50 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">It's widely known that pilots had the ability to adjust tracer placement in their ammo load outs. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, to be accurate they could lodge a request with the crew chief to do this. They might not get their way, much as not all RAF pilots got to set their convergence to a sensible 150 yards rather than the SOP which was something like 400 yards.

IVJG51_Swine
05-02-2005, 05:46 PM
I was mainly speaking of US Pilots and .50 calibers. I should have clarified that more.

TAGERT.
05-02-2005, 06:23 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Blackjack174:
of course there would have to be restrictive belt altering, or someone could remove all the tracers out of his belt, good for nasty surprises (i know i could live only seeing the impacts on the enemy , no need for tracers, although not very realistic http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif)
hope he is considering that for BOB.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Actually, Col Carson said most pilots didnt use tracers.. So, it is actually more realistic if you did remove them.. At least in the P51 with .50cals

3.JG51_BigBear
05-02-2005, 07:10 PM
I've also read stories about German pilots having their tracers removed. They would fire the smaller calibre weapons first to look for strikes because they didn't have tracers, then open up with the larger cannons.

Aaron_GT
05-03-2005, 12:26 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I was mainly speaking of US Pilots and .50 calibers. I should have clarified that more. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am just saying that is might be an option that for campaigns, much like other loadouts, it might be valid to have set for you by the unit commander until you are senior enough to set the loadouts.

F16_Sulan
05-05-2005, 10:12 AM
Yeah!!! Would be cool!!!
Customisation of ones plane is allways fun!

Brings more charecter :P

Choctaw111
05-08-2005, 06:37 AM
I have been wanting this since day one. I have brought it up several times and have heard that it will be in BoB. Too bad for Il2 but it will be worth the wait! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

crazyivan1970
05-09-2005, 10:02 AM
More likely BOB will have this option..or something close to it... meaning adjustable ammo compositions

Airmail109
05-11-2005, 07:12 AM
for me my cannon rounds will be entirely HE......MUHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/icon_twisted.gif

Acidcrash--
05-12-2005, 06:12 PM
I was under the impression many pilots (in the RAF atleast, not sure about the USAAF) wanted to keep tracers for the psychological impact on their intended target, ie that of the tracers that didn't hit to then pass the canopy and startling/scarying/panicing the pilot.

irR4tiOn4L
05-16-2005, 05:13 AM
woah this is interesting - me and my brother were playing against each other and wondering why while we only seemed to fire a few bullets we always shot each other up with just a couple of hits. Now it turns out that only some bullets have "tracers"?

Could someone please direct me to a resource on just what tracers are, and their historical use/background and implementation in il2? Thanks all!

Choctaw111
05-16-2005, 07:28 AM
A tracer is simply a phosphorous or equivalent compound placed in the base of the bullet that burns when the bullet is fired. The flame that the chemical produces will leave a trail of smoke or fire or both and allows a pilot to see where his bullets are going. Not all bullets have tracers. There are many types of bullets. Some are armor piercing, others explode on impact. The Germans even had a self detonating bullet that exploded after a short time even if it did not hit anything. These AP(armor piercing) and HE(high explosive) could have a tracer in them. The designation for US bullet would either be AP-T(Armor piercing tracer) or HE-T(high explosive tracer) or even API-T((armor piercing incendiary tracer)this kind of bullet will penetrate armor and explode and also has a tracer element in the back of it). Any bullet that has a -T after it contains a tracer. I hope that this answeres your question irR4tiOn4L. Keep in mind that not all bullets have tracers so when you see tracers when you are firing there are many more bullets that you cannot see. The US tracers typically had a red tip painted on the tip of the bullet so you could identify what type it was. Also AP bullets had a black tip on them and Incendiary had a silver tip. Any combinations of these bullet types would have the muticolor bands of the appropriate type painted on them.

irR4tiOn4L
05-16-2005, 08:33 AM
yes thankyou very much for that clarification, that is what i suspected. I have to say though, i find the presentation of this in the sim confusing. Although the gunners on bombers dont really fire tracers (correct me if im wrong), you can see almost every bullet they/you fire. In a fighter however, you only see a few bullets out of many, again correct me if im wrong, but those that leave a tracer.

Is this correct? Shouldnt you at least see the bullet? (war footage from the period demonstrates that both personal arms and aircraft fire could be seen when fired) Would i be right in assuming this is a performance issue? Can you somehow modify the settings so that i can see all my bullets?

This was the one thing putting off my aiming - i assumed the only bullets travelling were those i could see, and the multiple bullet holes appearing from a single hit just part of the damage display (which it is really)