PDA

View Full Version : hurricane mk 1 gunsight

deskpilot
04-12-2011, 03:13 PM
is the hurricane gunsight set up so that a fw190 would be 100 metres away if its wing tips touched the ring of the sight? got my convergence set to 150 metres as usual but seem to be sucking worse than usual on Etreme one's REDUX modded campaign. Just wondered if I'm mistaken re the gunsight.

Sillius_Sodus
04-13-2011, 12:24 AM
The sight is correct, you just suck... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Just kidding, there are some airplanes I just can't do anything in, like the Spit.

Try setting your convergence to 200m, this seems to work well with the Hurri.

deskpilot
04-13-2011, 01:45 PM
HaHa! Sillius Soddus you may well be right! I've usually done ok at 150 metres, but reckon, because I've been flying the corsair lots lately and always set my 50 cals or cannon to 200m, maybe I'm just firing too soon because I've not adjusted to the shorter convergence. I'll have another go now.

Ba5tard5word
04-13-2011, 05:54 PM
I like 150m to 180m for anything with .30 cals like Hurricanes, and I try to get as close as I can when firing to get the most out of that horrible, horrible caliber of bullets.

TS_Sancho
04-13-2011, 06:45 PM
Desktop pilot, you are correct on the Hurricane reflector gunsight. Here is a quote from one of the sims better instructors (Frank "Dart" Giger)...

In the Hurricane and Spitfire the circle on the sight is calibrated for the FW-190. For the sake of being pedantic, the circle is 105 mils in diameter to match the wingspan of 10.5 meters.

When the wingtips of a FW-190 touch the edges of a Hurricane’s reticule circle, it’s 100 meters from the aircraft.

Half a reticule circle (wingtips from circle to center dot) is 200 meters.

A quarter of the circle to the center dot is 400 meters.

Feature: IL-2 Series - Fundamentals of Gunnery (http://www.simhq.com/_air10/air_312b.html)

The 303's will get kills but you have to get close. I have done well at times online on early war maps in Spits/109's hyperlobby server with both the Hurri I and Spit I by shortening my convergence to 100 meters and only shooting when the sight ring is full.

A good tip for light caliber mg's is to not try and shoot from dead six, rather 5 or 10 degrees "angle off" with the appropriate lead on the pipper. This keeps the rounds from having to penetrate the length of the fuselage to hit critical areas such as the engine and pilot.

Other sight rings off the top of my head...

German Revi sight... Spit fills the ring at 100 meters.

Tempest... FW190 fills ring at 200 meters.

Most U.S. sights... FW190 fills ring at 150 meters.

P51 K14 Gyro sight... Adjusted for FW190, wingspan matches width of floating pipper on nearest setting at 200 meters.

Japanese... I've forgotten but I believe 100 meters for 10 meter span for outer ring, 150 meters for inner is close.

Soviet... I believe 10 meter span fills ring at 100 meters but could be wrong here as well.

For myself, I rarely use convergence over 150 meters as I cant consistently hit anything much past that regardless of weapon used( Flying FW190 against 4 engine bombers I increase to 300) I generally keep MG and cannon convergence matched and shoot both at once as well, the exception being chasing a runner and trying to spook him by throwing bullets over his shoulder.

Hope this helps. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif