PDA

View Full Version : Performance Tips?

Sinfull661
07-02-2010, 12:59 PM
Does anyone know anything to edit to make performance better(Besides Upgrading system) like an ini. file to edit or something?
Thanks http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif!!!

roelbartstra
07-02-2010, 02:05 PM
Besides upgradig your system....

No way anyone knows the answer :P

Skin.Job
07-02-2010, 02:32 PM
The only thing that I was able to achieve by editing the Conviction.ini file was shutting off cast shadows completely-which didn't seem to effect the shadows that hide you for some reason, only the shadows cast by your character.
This helped FPS, but hurts the look of the game alot obviously.

Other than that no. It's a CPU heavy app, so I gained a slight edge in defraging my drive, using msconfig to minimize startup programs, and cleaning my registry. OCing your CPU will help of course, its thats an option. If I didn't have my e6700 OCed from 2.66 to 3.33 I would have to shelve this game I'm sure.

Sinfull661
07-02-2010, 06:09 PM
belevezero thanks http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif I'll try it out.
edit:Cant find cast shadows maybe different name in ini.

Skin.Job
07-02-2010, 11:12 PM
In the Conviction.ini, if you scroll towards the bottom you will see a section containing the following:

[l3d]
AllocateNames=false
AlphaToCoverage=false
Threading=true
LowMemory=False
MultipassLighting=false
Shadows=true
ReferenceDevice=false
BudgetCoopSpots=2
BudgetCoopOmnis=3

Changing the Shadows value to False worked for me, disabling the shadows that move, like the shadows that your character casts for example. It helped with frame rates, but hurts the look of the game alot. I tried editing other values in this file using common sense values for various entries, but none other than the shadows edit had any effect on performance or visual quality.

roelbartstra
07-03-2010, 02:14 AM
What helped my fps was downloading the latest nvidia driver.

If you have ati you could try to do the same.

Sinfull661
07-03-2010, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by belevezero:
In the Conviction.ini, if you scroll towards the bottom you will see a section containing the following:

[l3d]
AllocateNames=false
AlphaToCoverage=false
Threading=true
LowMemory=False
MultipassLighting=false
Shadows=true
ReferenceDevice=false
BudgetCoopSpots=2
BudgetCoopOmnis=3

Changing the Shadows value to False worked for me, disabling the shadows that move, like the shadows that your character casts for example. It helped with frame rates, but hurts the look of the game alot. I tried editing other values in this file using common sense values for various entries, but none other than the shadows edit had any effect on performance or visual quality.
Thanks you had me confused.
roelbartstra thanks but I always keep up with drivers.

GuZZ33
07-03-2010, 12:33 PM
From the read me file.

System validation

================================================== ============================

Splinter Cell Conviction will validate your system against minimum requirements.
If the system validation process detects that your configuration is not completely
suited to play the game, you will be notified of the problems found. If you don't
comply with all the requirements, the game may not run properly or you may
experience severe slowdowns.

Note: The system validation process will perform a full validation only once when
you run the game for the first time. You may want to force the system validation
to run again when you change your hardware configuration (i.e. new video cards or
gamepad). Open the ConvictionUserPC.ini file in the
"Drive:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Ubisoft\Conviction" folder
and set the RunValidation value located in the [SystemValidation] section to True.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2.1. Game graphic options

The system validation process will try to determine the optimal graphic settings
based on your system performance. It will try to balance performance with visual
quality and set the appropriate graphic options settings. You can override these
settings in the options menu of the game.

================================================== ============================

Sinfull661
07-03-2010, 02:24 PM
I already checked and i'm below minimum requirements but I can still run it after much tweaking(didnt turn of shadows cause I though it affected all shadows but no) its pretty much full speed http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif(sometimes).

Sinfull661
07-04-2010, 11:14 AM
bump http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/metal.gif

sam2000_290
07-06-2010, 01:13 PM
Just to let you know, I tried it as well. I got like a 20+ fps boost. Now it runs from 40-50 fps. So anyone with problems can use this. Thanx for this; it works great!

Skin.Job
07-06-2010, 06:24 PM
Remember kids, always save a backup of the original file!

Sinfull661
07-06-2010, 07:14 PM
Oops http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif...

sam2000_290
07-07-2010, 07:37 AM
Originally posted by realsamfisher23:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by belevezero:
Oops http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Was this intended to me? LOL I am 18 and I am not a little kid. You can even check out my xfire profile and it says I am 18 years old. Besides, it doesn't matter. I didn't make a backup. Shadow is the only thing I changed. All I needed to do is to change it back if something happens.

Sinfull661
07-07-2010, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by sam2000_290:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by realsamfisher23:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by belevezero:
Oops http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Was this intended to me? LOL I am 18 and I am not a little kid. You can even check out my xfire profile and it says I am 18 years old. Besides, it doesn't matter. I didn't make a backup. Shadow is the only thing I changed. All I needed to do is to change it back if something happens. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I dont know if your talking about me or belevezero but if your talking about me I was saying that I didnt backup my file I wasnt insulting your or anything jeez.

arokh88
07-08-2010, 06:19 AM
Ok. I turned off the shadows in the .ini, turned everything off in the game, set the lowest settings with 640x480 resolution, still, my fps is jumping between 40 and 15, even if I don't do anything but staring at an effin room which is empty.

Sinfull661
07-08-2010, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by arokh88:
Ok. I turned off the shadows in the .ini, turned everything off in the game, set the lowest settings with 640x480 resolution, still, my fps is jumping between 40 and 15, even if I don't do anything but staring at an effin room which is empty.
Copy and paste over from [WinDrv.WindowsClient] to DisableShaderOptims=False (make sure to save a copy of the Conviction.ini on desktop just in case.
[WinDrv.WindowsClient]
WindowedViewportX=480
WindowedViewportY=320
FullscreenViewportX=480
FullscreenViewportY=320
TextureDetail=Low
SkinDetail=Low
Brightness=0.000000
Contrast=0.000000
Gamma=0.000000
MipFactor=0.000000
UseJoystick=True
CaptureMouse=True
StartupFullscreen=False
MaxRefreshRate=0
ScreenFlashes=True
NoLighting=False
DeadZoneXYZ=True
DeadZoneRUV=False
InvertVertical=False
ScaleXYZ=1.000000
ScaleRUV=1.000000
MinDesiredFrameRate=30.000000
Decals=False
NoDynamicLights=True
SkinDetail=Low
TextureDetail=Low
NoFractalAnim=False
Decals=False
BloomThreshold=0.000000
MonitorAspect=0.000000
ShadowQuality=0
EnvDetail=0
RealtimeReflections=False
AnisotropicFiltering=0
DynamicAmbientOcclusion=0

[D3DDrv.D3DRenderDevice]
Translucency=True
UsePrecaching=False
UseMipmapping=False
UseTrilinear=False
UseMultitexture=False
UsePageFlipping=True
UseFullscreen=False
UseGammaCorrection=False
UseTripleBuffering=False
UsePrecache=False
Use32BitTextures=False
AdapterNumber=-1
ReduceMouseLag=True
UseTripleBuffering=False
UseHWShadowMapping=False
AmbientOcclusion=False
DisableShaderOptims=False
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Skin.Job
07-08-2010, 05:47 PM

[l3d]
AllocateNames=false
AlphaToCoverage=false
Threading=true
LowMemory=False
MultipassLighting=false
Shadows=true
ReferenceDevice=false
BudgetCoopSpots=2
BudgetCoopOmnis=3

I just found that changing the option Low Memory=FALSE, to TRUE disables self-case shadows and HDR automaticly regardless of what the other entries say or in-game settings are.

sam2000_290
07-08-2010, 09:32 PM

[l3d]
AllocateNames=false
AlphaToCoverage=false
Threading=true
LowMemory=False
MultipassLighting=false
Shadows=true
ReferenceDevice=false
BudgetCoopSpots=2
BudgetCoopOmnis=3

I just found that changing the option Low Memory=FALSE, to TRUE disables self-case shadows and HDR automaticly regardless of what the other entries say or in-game settings are. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I did that too b/4 and it seems to help. There are some really good tips here.

sam2000_290
07-08-2010, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by realsamfisher23:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by sam2000_290:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by realsamfisher23:

Was this intended to me? LOL I am 18 and I am not a little kid. You can even check out my xfire profile and it says I am 18 years old. Besides, it doesn't matter. I didn't make a backup. Shadow is the only thing I changed. All I needed to do is to change it back if something happens. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I dont know if your talking about me or belevezero but if your talking about me I was saying that I didnt backup my file I wasnt insulting your or anything jeez. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ok, I didn't know that belevezero was just kidding around. And when you said oops, I thought you were with him. So, now there is no harm, no foul, just a little misunderstanding. Now, I get what you guys are actually saying. At that time, my interpretation was different.

Sinfull661
07-10-2010, 05:23 AM
Originally posted by sam2000_290:
I did that too b/4 and it seems to help. There are some really good tips here.
Im happy that if someone with low performance(like me) can get the fps higher without fiddling around as much as I had to.

Sinfull661
12-04-2011, 08:32 AM
Bump http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/winky.gif