PDA

View Full Version : Testing suggestion

gkll
05-11-2005, 11:32 PM
My son and I have done a bit of comparison testing on a small LAN, trying to compare turn rates and so on between aircraft. Anyway what we found works very well indeed is to use wingtip smoke. Say you wan't to compare a Spit and a 190 for zoom and recovery.... but always the question is did the two aircraft fly the same profile? Send one aircraft off to fly some approximate flight profile... it doesn't matter exactly what it is since the following aircraft just lines up on the smoke. You can really get good at it, and the two aircraft then can be compared with the <very> influential effect of the actual flight path taken out of the equation.

FYI

BBB_Hyperion
05-12-2005, 09:27 AM
Regarding to turns thats a little imcomplete picture of the turn performance cause of the design of the planes not all turn best in the same speed margin so flying along in another flight track doesnt give you best performance in all cases.

gkll
05-13-2005, 01:29 AM
Yes agreed. However sometimes it is turn radius you need for BFM not just turn rate. And besides in a way it is like racing cars.... the second plane has to follow the track and you get to see what plane does what well pretty fast.

And it would work very well for testing performance in BnZ tactics where the manuvers will not be on the limit. You can get the geometry and climb angles almost identical.

Anyhow it was just a thought, I notice there is a 'spit vs something or other' thread going on as usual and it occured to me that some of the argument could be answered with this technique.

BBB_Hyperion
05-13-2005, 02:06 AM
http://www.jamf.info/Cool%20stuff/il2c_v25_pf302.rar

I suggest using this one for simple comparison even when its not 100 % accurate.