PDA

View Full Version : What is a TrackIR 1 worth in US Dollars?

Mortecai1313
10-27-2004, 08:08 PM
My friend is selling his Track IR to get a newer one. I'd love to get a TrackIR 3 but it's just too expensive. He offered to sell me his old one for $45 but it is the first version of Track IR and I think that's a little steep since he's used it for almost 2 years.

So. Is is worth the money or should I try to save up and just get a new one? What problems did the TIR1 have besides poor refresh rate?

Mortecai1313
10-27-2004, 08:08 PM
My friend is selling his Track IR to get a newer one. I'd love to get a TrackIR 3 but it's just too expensive. He offered to sell me his old one for $45 but it is the first version of Track IR and I think that's a little steep since he's used it for almost 2 years.

So. Is is worth the money or should I try to save up and just get a new one? What problems did the TIR1 have besides poor refresh rate?

XyZspineZyX
10-27-2004, 08:19 PM
There are a couple recent threads on this gadget... In one, someone pointed out that the older models were a little flakey in that sometimes they would lose tracking and there was some lag in tracking.

jimmie_T
10-27-2004, 08:33 PM
I post the following to some forum some time ago..

I've been using TIR1 for long time and got TIR3Pro a couple months ago. I've read many people wrote 3Pro is smooth and fast, and now I can tell you what they meant.

Panning in 3Pro does seem smoother than of TIR1 but the improvement is not phenomenal. It *IS* better but if this alone can sell another $129 is a bit quetionable. I mean TIR1 isn't bad at all. Having both of them I of course will prefere Pro3 in this aspect, but the gain is marginal.

"Fast." What they mean by fast is that it's MUCH more sensitive. You can't probably use TIR1's profile for Pro3 because of this. A slight movement of head results in very large amount of pan compare to TIR1. I had to lower the curves in the profile pretty much. For some people (especially who were used to TIR1) it is TOO faster no matter how they tweak the profile. For me, I could adopt myself to this much sensitive movement and I have no problem. For people who feel that they are too fast, they may be too close to the device; support says it could help, by the way. This sensitivity gain may NOT be prefered by some people. It's so fast. There may be people prefer TIR1 over Pro3 because of this alone.

Pro3's dot recognization seems better than TIR1. But I had no problem whan I was with TIR1 and TrackHat. It "feels" better (and in fact it is better) but again it is marginal and TIR1 didn't have critical problem in this matter in the first place, at least in my case.

The device has 4 red leds and in enhanced mode, there's small green led lit on the top of the device. Cool, but only eye candy.

Casing of the device is different. TIR1 is translucent and Pro3 is transparent, which looks nicer than TIR1 but if you care...

Pro3's USB cable is much longer than TIR1's which enabled me to get rid of using USB hub.

Well, I'm not answering the initial question but telling comparison between 1 and 3Pro here... I've got to wait PF till November!!

BTW, I might sell my TIR1 or return it to natural point to get some bucks... About $40 if anyone's interested..

XyZspineZyX
10-27-2004, 08:37 PM
Good post. Thanks Jimmie.

knightflyte
10-27-2004, 08:43 PM
Morticai,
I agree with jimmy. I've had it for 2 years and am happy with it. I have VERY few problems with TR1.

I wear glasses and once in a while I loos track. Not often but maybe once ot twice a week. For as often as I play (and STILL sux)that's not bad.

Track IR has enhanced mode which works GREAT. (I wish it would work in IL2 Sturmovik)

Offer your friend $40. (I don't know if that's a lot of money to you, but for what you get and the immersion you will get in the game it WILL be worth it- even for $45.)
Just make sure it works. I use the 2.11 drivers. (no not the Linda Blair version ... that's cheating LOL)
Once you go TRACK you NEVER go BACK!

Mortecai1313
10-27-2004, 09:01 PM
Wow!! Very helpful! Thanks jimmie and knightflyt. I'm gonna buy it. Looking forward to using it.

PF just came today! Impressive compared to the UBI preoder for AEP..http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif CARRIERS ! ! !

WTE_Galway
10-27-2004, 10:02 PM
the only reason I sold my TIR1 and bought a TIR3PRO was i moved the pc to a room with a lot of bright sunlight in the background .. the 3pro handles bright lights a lot better than the old TIR1

the 3pro is smoother and a touch easier to use but actually, apart from the light issues, I would have happily stuck with the "1" it was fine otherwise

Jumoschwanz
10-27-2004, 10:22 PM
I still have a track IR I don't want. Just buy me lunch. Give me ten bucks plus something for shipping and it is anyone's who wants it. It is in very, very good condition. I am in NW Pennslyvania and do not want to ship it out of the continent if I can help it. S!

Jumoschwanz

XyZspineZyX
10-28-2004, 02:16 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jumoschwanz:
I still have a track IR I don't want. Just buy me lunch. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll take you up on that offer Jumo if it's still available... I sent you a private message.

RBJ_fan_1138
10-28-2004, 02:35 AM
Noo! The TrackIR is cheating! The Master condemns it!

http://www.bath.ac.uk/~jsd23/supergreg.gif

T_O_A_D
10-28-2004, 05:27 AM
I never had much problem with my TIR 1 till I got a fast Video card. 9800 ATI then I saw the 60mhz refresh rate real bad. So I got the TIR3pro and it fixed that problem. Theres more on in my sig. I sold mine awhile back for 50 US. Id say 30 US or cheaper would be a good deal.

jimmie_T
10-28-2004, 08:06 AM
I was astonished why RBJ couldn't adopt TIR. For some people (and me) it may take some getting used to tho. After 1 week of first trial years back, I therw it away once. I couldn't manage it. Then I started again, on the second trial thereafter, I don't think I'll fly anything incapable of TIR. I never liked padlock anyway.

$30 makes good, yes. I'm just lazy to try to sell my TIR1...

I really want a GYRO driven TIR with leaning capability in the sim! Even though current cockpit is indeed 3D, the gun sight doesn't really look like 3D mainly because of lack of lighting effect. And with GYRO thing people woudln't complain that much about 190.

han freak solo
10-28-2004, 11:00 AM
I bought a new TrackIR 2 from pcaviator.com a few months back for $80 US. I went cheap instead of getting the TrackIR 3.

Even though I don't have a "3" to compare my "2" with, I think the "2" is just fine.

avimimus
10-28-2004, 11:39 AM
I have always liked track IR as a concept.

But the low Canadian Dollar and the boarder crossing fees and past bad experiences mean that I could only pay around $20 US plus shipping.

Which is really that much, oh if only we had a barter system and I could trade buffalo hides...

BinaryFalcon
10-28-2004, 11:51 AM
IMO, save the money for a later version.

I could never get used to the TIR1 in combat and as a result, I never used it. Finally, after a whole lot of debate, I decided to try a TIR3 Pro.

Now I don't want to play without it. There's a huge difference between it and the TIR1, at least in my situation. I suppose if you can set the unit up within a foot or so of your head either will work just fine. But my TIR has to be almost 3 feet away, and the TIR1 is just a bit too flaky at that distance. The 3Pro works grea, however.