PDA

View Full Version : Differential braking

OD_79
10-05-2005, 06:00 AM
Hi,
Just a quick request, not sure if it has been asked for before, though I'm sure it must have been.
Is it possible to introduce differential braking to another patch/add on? It would be especially welcome from those people who have bought rudder pedals with the capability, and would make taxying easier for those even without pedals it would just be a matter of assigning a button for each wheel.
I know, and appreciate, that IL2 is coming to the end of its support and that Battle of Britain is the main focus now, but there are still a few more areas that IL2 could be tweaked to make it as good as it could ever get. Again such as the introduction of the 6DOF for Track IR as a test for BoB.
Thanks,

OD.

HoneySeeker
10-05-2005, 09:09 AM
We already have differential braking (the Allied way -> rudder + brake).

By all accounts the incorporation of 6DOF would require all cockpits to be modified to add internal collision surfaces, which isn't a trivial task.

jeroen-79
10-05-2005, 09:17 AM
The whole input system could be improved.

I'd go for:

-Left brake
-Right brake
-Brake (rudders controls direction)

-Elevator
-Aileron
-Rudder

-Elevator trim
-Aileron trim
-Rudder trim

-Flaps

And:
-Throttle
-Pitch
-Mixture
-Radiator
For:
-Individual engines
-Left engines
-Right engines
-All engines

-Bombsight altidue
-Bombsight speed
-Bombsight elevation
-Bombsight slip

-View panspeed, horizontal and vertical
-View zoom

DaimonSyrius
10-05-2005, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by jeroen-79:
The whole input system could be improved.

I'd go for:

-Left brake
-Right brake
-Brake (rudders controls direction)

-Elevator
-Aileron
-Rudder

-Elevator trim
-Aileron trim
-Rudder trim

-Flaps

And:
-Throttle
-Pitch
-Mixture
-Radiator
For:
-Individual engines
-Left engines
-Right engines
-All engines

-Bombsight altidue
-Bombsight speed
-Bombsight elevation
-Bombsight slip

-View panspeed, horizontal and vertical
-View zoom

Apart from the separate brakes, isn't everything else in the sim already? View panspeed can be adjusted in conf.ini for the mouse, but maybe you mean setting it to a button or axis. Not sure about what can be done with the POV panning, but I hear there are some POV-to-Mouse utilities around. With joystick profiles, you can set-up things like smooth 'zooming' (smooth progressive FOV might be a more accurate term). That's a joy if you add TIR! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Looking forward to 6DoF in Bob, it appears that it would be too big a task to have it fitted to IL-2 now.

S.

*Edit* D@mn typo<STRIKE>e</STRIKE>s http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

tomtheyak
10-05-2005, 10:58 AM
Olegs already commented on the 6DOF - it can't be done because the virtual cocpits have not been modelled to the extent that will allow it, i.e. if u look around the frames/seat there'll be no model of what should be there because there was no need originally to model normally hidden parts of the cockpit (it saves on polys i'd imagine). I think that some parts of the external model are also invisible from the VC so that we don't (or shouldn't) get conflict of the exterior model with the cockpit - whole swathes of programming work to re-adjust stuff for 6DOF plus I'm not even sure the engine can handle it...

So no chance for PF apparently. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

And as for differential braking just hold your brake and apply rudder the way you want to turn!
I know it's not prototypical for Axis a/c but seems fairly intuitive to me... and beats a lot of code rewrite. Mind you the post 4.01 ground handling is a bit of a shocker... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

OD_79
10-05-2005, 01:28 PM
Fair enough, I wasn't sure how much of an issue it would be for the braking. I realise 6DOF would be a massive undertaking though. I do use the brke at the same time as rudder it's just not as effective as actual differential braking where you brake the right wheel and not the left, in a right turn, so you turn on the spot. It would just make things a lot easier.
cheers for the response.

OD.

HoneySeeker
10-05-2005, 02:58 PM
You may have misunderstood us - you do have actual differential braking, just as it worked on the Allied planes. The brake lever controls total force, while the rudder controls distribution between the two wheels.

hobnail
10-05-2005, 07:30 PM
Differential braking in IL2 is always easier when you bind an axis to the brake, allowing for graduated input.

I just use the right toe-brake on my CH pedals.

OD_79
10-06-2005, 04:24 AM
~S~
I do the same, I was just unsure whether a development would be possible allowing us to use both pedals. It's not essential obviously, just a possible improvement.
Cheers,

OD.

BSS_Vidar
10-06-2005, 01:00 PM
What you're actually asking for is "Independent Braking" where you have separate input to either side with as much as you want to input via axis control. This is the type of braking the majority of allied aircraft had, and still do have. Differential braking is the sloshing around of hydrolic pressure from one side to the other via rudder input while applying brake pressure... It sux for flight deck ops.

On the Independant Braking request that I personaly requested, Oleg emailed me back and said "No chance". They had a vote and differential hydrolic braking won out.

Funny, I didn't get to vote http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

The braking in 4.01 has gotten even worse, probably due to the new flight model torque effects added in. Hopefully they'll at least restore it back to the way it was so flight deck flex-ops can be managable again.

BSS_Vidar
10-12-2005, 02:39 PM
Got an email back from Oleg today stating the braking problems have been fixed in 4.02, which will be out next week.

That's great news for the Blacksheep. Now we can "Flex-Deck" again! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

I also asked about 'Independant Braking' in future sims, but no responce to that effect from my email.

S!