PDA

View Full Version : Spifire Ace part one was terrific

Tallyho1961
05-20-2005, 02:23 PM
There's a multi-part TV series out there called: Spitfire Ace that began playing last night on the Canadian History Channel (I posted about it here a week, or so, ago).

Anyway I saw/taped episode one, and it is fantastic. The basic idea is that, amongst all of the documentary footage and discussion of the Spitfire, and RAF in general, the producers selected four young pilots who compete for the chance to solo in one of the few remaining operational Spitfires.

If I've got this right two of the four - all young - were military pilots and two were civilian. They tried to choose pilots who represented the type of pilots the RAF was recruiting/attracting in 1940.

To extend the 1940 RAF analogy, all four started off in a Tiger Moth and by mid-way through the show two had been selected to continue - one military pilot and one civilian instuctor.

It's a great piece of work punctuated with quick interview snippets with actual BoB pilots insluding Geoff Wellum, the author of First Light. If any of you have yet to read this book - I urge you to get a copy. It's been discussed on these forums, as well as over at SimHQ and Airwarfare. It's the best wartime pilot's memoir I've come across basically because Wellum's writing is so descriptive and intimate. Plus. he's got a great sense of humour.

Anyway, I thought I'd share these first impressions and remind everybody to keep their eyes peeled for this show. Spitfire fan, or not, it's a real treat for any WWII aviation buff.

Taylortony
05-20-2005, 02:52 PM
One of them selected to continue is actually not an ex military pilot but a civilian flying instructor.......glad you are enjoying a bit of UK programming...... next series in line is the bomber one using Sally B the b17 http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Tallyho1961
05-20-2005, 03:03 PM
Actually, my folks are from Bristol; my grandfather on my father's side was a Rolls Royce man. I should find out if he had anything to do with the Merlin program.

My father's family lived close to the BAC (Bristol Aircraft Company) and as a result they were knocked about quite a bit during the Blitz. In fact my father, his brother and sister were all evacuated to Wales.

We were back as a family about 20 years ago and he located the Welsh house he was billeted in as well as a section of bullet-scarred wall where my father and his sister once sheltered during a Luftwaffe strafing attack on the BAC factories.

It was an eerie sight.

PS - I fixed my post as per your note.