PDA

View Full Version : Poll: What is your online skill level



TheFamilyMan
04-03-2009, 11:23 AM
How do you think you rank online? I'm stuck at the apprentice level and really don't have the time to get any better. How about you?

(Thanks to Oblivion for providing the levels)

TheFamilyMan
04-03-2009, 11:23 AM
How do you think you rank online? I'm stuck at the apprentice level and really don't have the time to get any better. How about you?

(Thanks to Oblivion for providing the levels)

danjama
04-03-2009, 11:26 AM
Going by your merits, i am an Expert, although i dont think i always fly my best when i get multiple kills and RTB. Sometimes i fly crazy stupid and just get lucky.

On a bad day i am a Journeyman.

It's all about luck. I think i'm an ok pilot though.

norton1974
04-03-2009, 11:58 AM
I am an aprentice. shot down alot but i have returned to base a few times with a kill.

X32Wright
04-03-2009, 12:07 PM
What? no 'UBER NOOB' designation? Oh well!!!

megalopsuche
04-03-2009, 12:11 PM
Your criteria for skill level are erroneous. Some of the best virtual pilots I have ever seen rarely rtb because they would rather fight to the death against superior numbers every time (and usually take half the horde out before being shot down).

TheFamilyMan
04-03-2009, 12:37 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by megalopsuche:
Your criteria for skill level are erroneous. Some of the best virtual pilots I have ever seen rarely rtb because they would rather fight to the death against superior numbers every time (and usually take half the horde out before being shot down). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>IMO part of the skill is being able to safely RTB after engaging in combat, just as real fighter pilots did. Pilots always fighting to the death didn't help any airforce win a war. I guess I'm just too literal with this stuff.

If someones always makes multiple kills they are definatly an expert, RTB or not; though I'd imagine a master considers what I stated above.

DD_crash
04-03-2009, 12:43 PM
you should have put really really shyte. I would have gone for that http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Bobbo_Tabor
04-03-2009, 01:35 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DD_crash:
you should have put really really shyte. I would have gone for that http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, how about "Only sometimes makes it off the runway without crashing" or "On good day does not take out half of friendly planes with taxing accident" category?

DuckyFluff
04-03-2009, 01:38 PM
As there is no further choice(e.g. Ace of Aces or Uber Master), I suppose a simple "master" will have to do for the purpose of this poll http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/sadeyes.gif http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/winky.gif

CUJO_1970
04-03-2009, 02:21 PM
I play under a different name in open pit servers on Hyperlobby.

I've been playing this sim for a long time, and I'm at master level, I don't mean to brag.

I'm not in a squad anymore and I don't fly on comms...but I typically end up getting hunted by squads using comms and team tactics to try and get me. That part can get tedious, flying against 3-4 players on comms and using teamwork.

It cracks me up when they think I don't see their teammate away from the action trying to climb and get altitude on me while I'm occupied with 2-3 other guys from their squad. He's the one that usually dies first.

What usually follows is that they all get pi$$ed off and start calling me a coward for using BnZ on them and then I realize that this is all just a big waste of time, I could be doing something productive.

To be honest though, I'm losing (lost?) interest and don't fly much anymore.

Choctaw111
04-03-2009, 02:26 PM
I have found that a RTB is more important, and satisfying, than turning around and facing a horde of enemy before going down in flames. I have done this countless times in my earlier years, and perhaps after years of practice, these "turn to face the enemy" tactics are less suicidal, but still, if I have the option, especially after scoring some kills, I will not turn and fight superior numbers, not when I can RTB safely.
Picking and choosing your fights are the true mark of an experienced pilot.

rnzoli
04-03-2009, 03:02 PM
Well, nowadays I always RTB with at least 10-20 kills.


Ah, forgot to mention, maybe important: I fly ground attack. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/typing.gif

BaronUnderpants
04-03-2009, 03:31 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by CUJO_1970:
I play under a different name in open pit servers on Hyperlobby.

I've been playing this sim for a long time, and I'm at master level, I don't mean to brag.

I'm not in a squad anymore and I don't fly on comms...but I typically end up getting hunted by squads using comms and team tactics to try and get me. That part can get tedious, flying against 3-4 players on comms and using teamwork.

It cracks me up when they think I don't see their teammate away from the action trying to climb and get altitude on me while I'm occupied with 2-3 other guys from their squad. He's the one that usually dies first.

What usually follows is that they all get pi$$ed off and start calling me a coward for using BnZ on them and then I realize that this is all just a big waste of time, I could be doing something productive.

To be honest though, I'm losing (lost?) interest and don't fly much anymore. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>



Know exactly what u mean, got even more fun when i "winged" with u a few times, long time ago though http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif ( proppably close to 2 years now ). Havent got the same intrest anymore either, gets old fast the things u describe with squads for ex lolying about in DF servers like it takes any skills or is fun playing 4 vs 1 on a regular basis. Dont get that at all. Takes more "skill" teaming up with a complete stranger and being succsesfull IMHO.

Moved on to closed pit since, usally with some kind of externals.

TheCrux
04-03-2009, 03:33 PM
I fly full real servers and I'm a bit of a "stat *****"....but not of the kill points type: I strive to maximize my safe landing per sortie ratio. Of course I'll go for a kill if the opportunity presents itself, BUT, the challenge of navigating and staying alive is what I like. Someone with lots of air-to-air kills doesn't impress me if they've got a lousy Kill/Death ratio.

slipBall
04-03-2009, 03:38 PM
I agree that getting home and landing safe is the number one on-line skill. If you mix it up and get a kill great, but staying alive is the name of the game as far as skill goes. By the way, this is easier done on a full switch server.

I_KG100_Prien
04-03-2009, 03:40 PM
As a bomber pilot..

If I don't get ganged up on by a bunch of fighters I always put my ordinance on target.

Then there is the problem of making it back by avoiding the same dangers of getting there.

Usually wind up being shot down by Spitfire Pilot #1,235......

McHilt
04-03-2009, 03:49 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by slipBall:
I agree that getting home and landing safe is the number one on-line skill. If you mix it up and get a kill great, but staying alive is the name of the game as far as skill goes. By the way, this is easier done on a full switch server. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Totally agree here... getting home and make a safe landing is where it's all about after all...
I'm a great pilot as far as flying and landing an aircraft goes... fighterpilot-technically speaking? Hmmm... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif
I'm a Fullswitch one on one dogfight guy to be honest btw

megalopsuche
04-03-2009, 04:05 PM
For those who have been flying online air combat for 15-20 years, the satisfaction of rtb has long since eroded away because it ceased to be a challenge many years ago. I wish I were at that level, but try to learn as much as I can...

idonno
04-03-2009, 04:12 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TheFamilyMan:
Pilots always fighting to the death didn't help any airforce win a war.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TheCrux:
Someone with lots of air-to-air kills doesn't impress me if they've got a lousy Kill/Death ratio.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>


Amen.


<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by megalopsuche:
For those who have been flying online air combat for 15-20 years, the satisfaction of rtb has long since eroded away because it ceased to be a challenge many years ago.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>


Well I've only been doing this for 11 years, but TRB'ing means as much to me as ever. If you don't care about getting home, then you're just playing an air combat game instead of flying an air combat simulation.

Segwin
04-03-2009, 04:48 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by X32Wright:
What? no 'UBER NOOB' designation? Oh well!!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That'd be me...... sniff

Segwin
04-03-2009, 04:57 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by CUJO_1970:
I play under a different name in open pit servers on Hyperlobby.

I've been playing this sim for a long time, and I'm at master level, I don't mean to brag.

I'm not in a squad anymore and I don't fly on comms...but I typically end up getting hunted by squads using comms and team tactics to try and get me. That part can get tedious, flying against 3-4 players on comms and using teamwork.

It cracks me up when they think I don't see their teammate away from the action trying to climb and get altitude on me while I'm occupied with 2-3 other guys from their squad. He's the one that usually dies first.

What usually follows is that they all get pi$$ed off and start calling me a coward for using BnZ on them and then I realize that this is all just a big waste of time, I could be doing something productive.

To be honest though, I'm losing (lost?) interest and don't fly much anymore. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

With that type of experience I would think your time would be much better spent teaching. You have nothing to prove, why not help.

waffen-79
04-03-2009, 05:05 PM
according to your poll answers

I'm EXPERT

see, I'm not always RTB because I often make last efforts to save a kameraden and end up having to bail out or shot down, for me it's 2 or 3 victories most of the sorties