PDA

View Full Version : 402m: Disappearing Opponents and Black Screen

leitmotiv
11-01-2005, 12:04 PM
PAC FIGHTERS merged has been purring along like six cats, but I have run into some trouble after installing 402m. The biggest annoyance has been disappearing opponents. I'm a veteran Oleg simmer and I know very well you can lose an opponent you are chasing quite easily, but, since 402m, this has gotten to be a bit ridiculous. This morning I was haring after an H75 in an 109E-4 at a distance of, maybe, 1000 ft. The H75 dropped its starboard wing and disappeared into thin air. I flipped upside down and took a good look, dipped to port, dipped to starboard. Poof! Gone like a pixie! Then my screen went black for about ten seconds and came back right in the middle of the action. The black screen was definitely something new. Never had this happen with any Oleg designs. Now I'm convinced I'm not "seeing things." Any comments?

dieg777
11-01-2005, 12:21 PM
The black screen occurs naturally in game to simulate blackouts due to G - but Ill assume that you are aware of this and it wasnt this, so it looks like your graphics card is at fault. Make sure that you are not overclocked. check that the cooling fan is working. check that the card is seated properly and all connections snug. lastly check your drivers and update to latest for your card, then rerun il2 setup for your graphics
good luck

leitmotiv
11-01-2005, 12:28 PM
Thanks, dieg777. Definitely was not the blackout effect. Do not believe graphics card (Radeon 9800XT) to blame because PFm was belting along sublimely until 402m, but, to be on the safe side, I'll check drivers.

Achilles_NZ
11-03-2005, 03:55 PM
A couple times now while chaseing down H8K1 Flyingboats Ive had them dissapear on me completely. Starting from approx. 600 meters away, only to reappear again at approx. 250 - 300 meters. Quite irritateing when trying to line up for the kill shot.
Strangely, if the A/C was previously damaged with a smokeing engine, the smoke trail remains despite the enemy aircraft being invisible.

I can only recall it happening while flying the Beaufighter and Corsair F-4U1D.

I thought it might be because of my draw distance settings (currently set at Medium) but as mentioned, only happens to me with the H8k1.
Im running an elderly 64 meg Geforce3... possibly another source of the problem.

Anyone else had this happen? If there is, Ill post something in bug report thread in ORR with a pic or two.

leitmotiv
11-03-2005, 04:12 PM
My machine is a year old Predator brand "Waster" maxed out for flight sims. I've never had this disappearing aircraft problem before, and I have been using the Maddox sims for 18 months, and PF since the day of release in the U.S.A. I haven't had an incident since the one described above, and had only noticed this, maybe, two times previously. My video card is powerful enough to run CALL OF DUTY 2 without a flicker---I don't really think it is the culprit

Waldo.Pepper
11-03-2005, 04:49 PM
Try Coasties settings...

http://www.angelfire.com/ultra/coastie0/IL2setup.html

leitmotiv
11-03-2005, 05:15 PM
Here is the catch---pre 402m PF was perfect, and I was using 1280x960x32---the disappearing aircraft business and black screen started after 402m. I really don't want to change my settings because they have delivered excellent performance since the first couple patches ironed out PF's wrinkles months ago.

Waldo.Pepper
11-03-2005, 05:40 PM
Try it, then change it back.

Bartolomeo_ita
11-03-2005, 06:07 PM
one of my m8s had the same problem. black screen.

leitmotiv
11-03-2005, 06:22 PM
I consider 1024x768 to be an offense to a very hot computer---dark ages.