PDA

View Full Version : Saitek X-45

RWetterholt
01-16-2005, 11:43 PM
Hello everyone...

Just ordered a Saitek X-45 a fews days ago. Prolly won't get it in the mail until for a few more days though seeing as it is the holiday weekend (MLK Day) and all. Anywho...how many of you have the Saitek X-45 and what do you guys think of it? I just want to have a rough idea of what to expect when the package comes and I tear the cardboard box to smithereens in hopeful anticipation of something better than my current Logitech rig. Thanks!

RWetterholt
01-16-2005, 11:43 PM
Hello everyone...

Just ordered a Saitek X-45 a fews days ago. Prolly won't get it in the mail until for a few more days though seeing as it is the holiday weekend (MLK Day) and all. Anywho...how many of you have the Saitek X-45 and what do you guys think of it? I just want to have a rough idea of what to expect when the package comes and I tear the cardboard box to smithereens in hopeful anticipation of something better than my current Logitech rig. Thanks!

GAU-8
01-17-2005, 12:54 AM
its very good for a fisrt true HOTAS setup, but they are on the cheap side of manufacturing.

ive had 3 so far, and every one of them have started to go south after less than 6 months.all isolated problems, not the same thing 3 times in a row.others here who have it, have had it for several years without a fault.

i think for the money,it offers the most bang for the buck hands down, but for a moderate duration.

if your fingers are too large you can remove the rubber pinky trigger. push forward, and up at the same time. its about the only item ive noticed on the 45 that feels like it will break...but wont when you remove it =p (compared to the sturdy parts, that do break , go figure)

also, get a bithday candle or stick powder deodorant and rub a very very thin film on the underside of the disk/contact ring on the stick for preventative measure. DO NOT use any WD-40 oil, or lubricants, it will attack the plastic, and make it stick/squeek even worse.

hope it lasts you a long time http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Padser
01-17-2005, 03:00 AM
~S~

For best lubrication results, I'd recommend a little silicon grease in the location already mentioned.

Otherwise the stick will creak annoyingly and get stiff to use

Cheers

Pads

Baletzan
01-17-2005, 03:51 AM
I got mine about a week ago, and gotta say that I didn't like it that much. It gives you a whole new dimension of control but also requires a lot of adjusting, compared to my good old Logitech Wingman Extreme 3D http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/heart.gif.
You might want to think about getting TIR, if you dont own one already http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif, cause you can't use the mouse that much anymore.
Alltogether it's a nice thing and might improve your flying, when you get to know how to use it http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif.
Right now I'm still using my old stick, cause I just don't have the energy to learn how to use it and mess around with the profilers http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/53.gif.

Good luck and happy hunting http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif.

Von_Zero
01-17-2005, 08:11 AM
Got mine yesterday, from a friend of mine that just camed back from UK, and i gotta admit, compared to my old AfterBurner FF, this one is really a beast. It was flying a different plane. What i dont like (or maybe i am not used to it yet) is the stick tension, wich it seems too hard for my taste and the way the rudder is placed. Anyway, now i'm fighting with the software, trying to make it work. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

Tully__
01-17-2005, 08:26 AM
A very different feel to Logitechs I've tried, with quite a sharply defined centre and strong response with small deflections. I've been using the X-45 for well over 12 months and I'm very happy with it.

There are better HOTAS setups, but at much greater cost.

When you install it be sure to read the installation instructions first. Get the latest drivers from Saitek's website before you start, and install them in "Advanced" mode.

To get the full benefit of the X-45 you'll want to develop (or download) a profile. I'd recommend developing your own, but the profile I developed for Forgotten Battles is available for download (link under my signature picture), as is Adlabs6's profile. Find one of his posts for a link to his site and profile download.

Tallyho1961
01-17-2005, 08:35 AM
I've had my X45 for about four months now and love it. It took me a while to develop and fine-tune my profile, but now that's done the flying is pure fun.

The thing I really enjoy is that I almost never need to go near my keyboard anymore. I've got a few seldom-used commands mapped to the keypad area of my keyboard, but that's it.

Flying off a HOTAS has really added immersion for me, not to mention that it's much more comfortable and reliable than hunting for keys at 300 pmph while somebody is shooting at you.

For me the biggest revelation was being able to map trim to the two rotaries on the X45 throttle. That alone made a huge difference to my enjoyment of the sim and ability to control my aircraft.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that my X45 doesn't develop any faults - that seems to be one of the reported negatives - but so far, so good.

S!

RAF__Swede51
01-17-2005, 12:14 PM
Hello
I€ve had one for some time and I agree with the above, although I haven€t actually used a profile in a game. I would like to try using the control they call €˜mouse hat€ under the left thumb to look around as I do with the mouse. As was said, using a mouse now is not practical.
However, the real annoying feature about this stick is how sloppy the €˜stick€ is. There is about an inch of €˜play€ at the top when oscillating the stick back and forth. This translates into my gunnery skills being deteriorated greatly. Those of you that fly real airplanes know a real stick is positive and although there is some slight €˜play€ at the top, ANY movement with the stick will move the aircraft where you direct it that is proportional to the amount the stick is moved. This is not the case with an X45. I have tried all the possible settings in setup for Pitch, Yaw etc., and the setup that works the best for close in maneuvering is 70-80-90-100-100€¦.. Even with this I tend to over control so slight maneuvering is just not possible with this stick. I even tried wire-tying some of the springs under the sick together. That changed things a bit but did not do anything about the sloppiness.
I remember doing very well with my old Microsoft P2 before it broke. I have never been able to fly the same since. I can€t compare the two now, but it seems I had better control with the M$ stick.
I have heard much about the C&H and Cougar sticks. I don€t know anyone locally who sells or has one to try out. Can anyone comment on the sloppiness aspect with these?
Thank you.

Nero111
01-17-2005, 12:48 PM
Had my X45 for a year, had a wire come off the trigger, fixed it myself, and the stick to thsi day stil works fine. As has been said good value for money.
Rudder: Takes getting used to if you dont use pedals, but what I did was reverse the power, in the il2 hotas setup, so that when I pull back on the throttle the power increases. That way the throttle is at an angle which makes the rudder much easier to use.
I have a lot better control that way and I use my rudder continousely in dogfights.

Do yourself a favour and sign up at the Saitek forums. Navigate to the x45 page. Theres good support there if you ever have any probs.

Software: Same go to Saitek and get the latest drivers now.
When you instal, do it by the book and only connect the hotas when prompted to.
During the instal, if you dont see something like 'magic mouse and magic keyboard' being installed during the setup, foget it, it wont work properly. That is MOST important.

Lubrication: Non silicone on plastic. But personaly, do yourself another favour, only use CHALK, french chalk or plumbers chalk. You get it sometimes in sticks, just grind it into powder quick quick, and then rub it over the contact areas. It last a hell of a long time and theres no risk of micro damaging the plastic with an unsuitable lube which would make the stick 'sticker' for lack of a better word.

Overall, Im still very stoked at my X-45, its a **** good buy for the price.
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

Tvrdi
01-17-2005, 12:51 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RWetterholt:
Hello everyone...

Just ordered a Saitek X-45 a fews days ago. Prolly won't get it in the mail until for a few more days though seeing as it is the holiday weekend (MLK Day) and all. Anywho...how many of you have the Saitek X-45 and what do you guys think of it? I just want to have a rough idea of what to expect when the package comes and I tear the cardboard box to smithereens in hopeful anticipation of something better than my current Logitech rig. Thanks! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

best sticks were Thrustmaster Cougar (and even Top Gun Fox2 pro), old Microsoft high end line (i think new doesnt exist http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif)....Saiteks are good too, but IMO with mentioned problems with X45 and even worse problems with X52 (i heard its a junk) ill go for Cougar...and for the record...Im using TG fox2 pro joystick for 3,5 years now and its still precise, with stable base, VERY COMFORTABLE for hand (even for big one http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif)...only, plastic squeaks now (but not too much)..and I used it (almost every day) for 3 yrs now and Im not gentle with the stick....so conclusion, old stick were more durable, more comfortable, but with less buttons, and without some functions....Logitechs are pure junk as i heard from my friends who got them....also Cougars had adjustable resistance, afterburner and idle detent (fox 2 pro had adjustable resistance too) unlike X45....With Cougar, just imagine the feeling of the smooth cold steel in your hand (its full metal joy so feeling would be simmilar to one of the pilots from WW2)....so best hardware IMO would be CH pedals, old Thrustmaster or Microsoft joy and trackIR pro...

look here:

http://www.joystickreview.com/joystick/

Lav69
01-17-2005, 04:30 PM
I've had mine about 6 months or so. Went from an MS sidewinder. I like it. Its a bit on the big side and stiff at first. Lube it with wax at the bottom of the stick (under ring) and the jerkiness goes away. Want to get a CH Fighter Stick and CH pro Throttle though. They are the kings from what I understand. The rudder control on the X45 is awkward(?), so I got some CH pro peddles and love them.

STS_Marinoni
01-17-2005, 05:17 PM
I took 2 zip ties and zip tied 2 of the spring coils together to reduce the spring tension on the joystick..I have had no problems with the stick of a mechanical nature - but I have found the factory support to be....shall we say..."lacking"...I have tried Dhauzimmers drivers, but had no luck with them - so I use an older version of the Saitek drivers with a modified profile I got somewhere...if ya want..send me a PM and I'll send the profile I use to ya...