PDA

View Full Version : Flaps control with X-52, which is better?

hshmulik
06-04-2007, 07:09 AM
Been using the X-52 throttle for a while, and figured I should map every possible axis to a/c controls, so I mapped the slider to flaps.

Seems to work OK, but I'm not getting the flaps position indication anymore (i.e. Raised, Combat, etc.) - so from time to time I get the flaps stuck due to using the wrong setting at high speeds.

Would it be better to map flaps to buttons instead of the slider?
What will I be able to use the slider for?
Could it be used for elevator trim? (unlike the 2 knobs, it has no middle detent, so I can't know where neutral trim is)

capt_frank
06-04-2007, 07:16 AM
I like my flaps on the slider, wouldn't have them anywhere else. I've just gotten used to how much to slide to achieve what result, i.e., combat flaps, takeoff, etc.

Ernst_Rohr
06-04-2007, 07:18 AM
I have mine mapped to the second hat switch, and the slider mapped to prop pitch. Works great.

hshmulik
06-04-2007, 07:28 AM
Originally posted by capt_frank:
I like my flaps on the slider, wouldn't have them anywhere else. I've just gotten used to how much to slide to achieve what result, i.e., combat flaps, takeoff, etc.

But how do you get indications?
Do you compare with outside view?
Can I assume that about every 25% of the slider translates to one setting, or is that fully linear?
Maybe use bands for the slider to set exact positions?

One more funny fact - I can set combat flaps on a Spit !!! Usually it just jumps from Raised to Landing and back, but with the slider it moves smoothly.

Klemm.co
06-04-2007, 07:41 AM
Originally posted by hshmulik:
One more funny fact - I can set combat flaps on a Spit !!! Usually it just jumps from Raised to Landing and back, but with the slider it moves smoothly.
Cheat. Exploit. It is. There was nothing like that in the real world. Because of that I never use that on the Spitfire, although i have my flaps mapped on a slider too.

hshmulik
06-04-2007, 07:53 AM
Good point !!! I'll keep that in mind.
So its either all the way up or all the way down for Spits ?
Funny that the sim allows you to do that.

SlickStick
06-04-2007, 08:59 AM
To quasi-quote the infamous RBJ, "Put your flaps on a slider and don't look back."

Philipscdrw
06-04-2007, 09:55 AM
I do have my trim on a slider, funnily enough, but I use it for trimming, not for cornering...

Flaps on a slider: it's not realistic to have continuous flaps settings on some aircraft (i.e. Spitfire, Hurricane, I-16). It is realistic on others though (Piper Cherokee). It's more realistic and more natural to use a lever to control the flaps, instead of a button - it's just using the lever to get something other than full-flap/no-flap in a Spitfire that's unrealistic!

Ideally, on aircraft like the Spit, the flaps would stay in one place until you move the lever past halfway, when they'd move to the other position. Then you could control the flaps - realistically - with a lever, and the flaps would - realistically - stay in one of two positions only. The Me163 throttle worked like this in FB v2.00 but with three or four positions which the engine throttle would 'jump' to as you move the joystick slider (they changed it with a patch later on).

I've got a lot of sliders, because I fly with one of these:

http://www.esat.at/images/CH_Yoke.jpg

Three throttles, which I use for throttle, prop speed, and pitch trim.

I could say that HOTAS is an exploit too, because real WW2 pilots couldn't operate their entire aircraft from the throttle and stick, they needed to take their hands off the controls and their eyes into the cockpit to perform aircraft management tasks, but I don't think this is too important really.