PDA

View Full Version : upgraded engine

DavisP92
05-12-2011, 12:02 AM
Does anyone think Ubisoft has upgraded the engine for better physics (the cape moving in ACB and now the fur in ACR, etc.)? I see in the picture of mayaf has snow falling so it appears to have weather. And in the new AC interviews the guy says that they are doing a new realization style, character performance, camera work, and "wow" moments. What do you guys think, are there any small details that you would want to see

LaurenIsSoMosh
05-12-2011, 12:51 AM
The weather, I imagine, is scripted like in the Lair of Romulus mission in Brotherhood. While it could be considered a notable inclusion in the game, it's not really an engine upgrade, no more than the cannon sequence from Brotherhood would be. It's all unique to that scene. Unless the next game is set in Siberia, that work probably won't be used again.

If they went all the way and integrated a fully realized weather system, though, that could (probably) be considered an engine upgrade.

The new realization style is really less to do with the game at all. It's more akin to like if an environmental artist chose to use this drawing style or that. They've undoubtedly brought in new technology and software to aid this method, but, again, I'm not seeing it as an engine improvement. If someone else wanted to use the Anvil, they wouldn't be able to benefit from this experiment without copying it directly.

The "wow" moments, I'm assuming, are scripted events and exotic game play sequences, like the cannons or the flying machine. Refer back to the first one for that.

I'm sure there are tons of minor tweaks and improvements being done under the hood, but I'm doubtful that any of these are major refinements to the engine. But these are all assumptions and speculation on my part.

Grandmaster_Z
05-12-2011, 07:22 AM
Originally posted by LaurenIsSoMosh:
I'm sure there are tons of minor tweaks and improvements being done under the hood, but I'm doubtful that any of these are major refinements to the engine. But these are all assumptions and speculation on my part.

true. i just hope the can improve the draw distance, but i guess thats limited by memory of the consoles