PDA

View Full Version : Drawing against Josh Age 12 wasn't as nightmarish as I thought

Undefdisfigure
01-05-2008, 01:09 AM
I just drew against Josh Age 12 (rated 2100). I will play him some more. I had a couple take backs because it was in training mode and I thought of it more as a learning experience rather than a competition. If I'll be able to beat him then I'll play him in ranked play. It wasn't easy, but he didn't crush me like I thought he would. I used a high resources engine on a dual core 2.6Ghz.

robenco18
01-05-2008, 01:08 PM
Why does it matter that you used a high resources engine on a dual core 2.6Ghz? Just wondering.

Soulcatcher
01-05-2008, 01:35 PM
Josh is no slouch at age 12, and just two years younger than Fischer was when he won his first U.S. championship.
One thing you can use against him is, he sometimes uses risky or dangerous openings, such as bringing his queen out before developing his other pieces. By harrassing it, you can sometimes gain a developement edge, or even a small material gain. BUT, you have to take full advantage of any imbalances or weaknesses you see in his position quickly or he is likely to recover and take you to the endgame, which is his strongest area.
That's what my experience playing against him has been like, anyway. Good luck! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Undefdisfigure
01-05-2008, 04:51 PM
On a high resources engine the strength is increased and the program delivers up to 70% more power. I played Josh age 12 a second time and he devastated me in the endgame. It is his strong point. If there's many pieces during the endgame (but little enough for it to be the endgame), then he's very hard to beat.

robenco18
01-06-2008, 01:51 AM
so the personalities would be better if i ran chessmaster on a better (faster) computer?

Biker1985
01-06-2008, 03:40 AM
Originally posted by robenco18:
so the personalities would be better if i ran chessmaster on a better (faster) computer?

Indeed, personalities with "Max Search Depth" on maximum together with "Pondering ON" do increases their ratings in relation with your PC power.
On a QX9770 Josh can be a nightmare for the human player http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif.

Knight-Hoodlum
01-13-2008, 06:03 PM
Josh at 6, 7, 8, 9 and 12 doesn't increase rating unlike the other AI personalities....because at that age he was at that rating - it's fixed.

Try changing from low to high engine resources - Josh will always be the same at 6 and 12 while the other personalities increase in rating.

The IM Waitzkin personality does increase rating however.

I've not yet tried to beat Josh at 12 - I'm no 2000+ player right now so I doubt i'd be able to do it without take-back either, at least not consistantly. Damn impressive having that rating at 12 >_< if only i'd started chess younger :P