PDA

View Full Version : Are they working on AC3?

flyingeaglemile
07-28-2011, 09:18 PM
And have a different team making AC:R? Or will they start AC3 after Revelations? I`d like to imagine they`ve been working on it since AC2 came out and years of work will have been put into it but that seems unlikely to me for some reason.

GunnarGunderson
07-28-2011, 09:25 PM
They're in early development stages

acjake
07-28-2011, 09:36 PM
Yes, I believe AC3 is being worked on and has been since AC2. I think a separate team is working on AC3 and when AC:R is finished the current AC:R team will join the AC3 team. I don't think they would leave AC3 (IMO the most crucial game) to a 1 year development cycle. AC3 will hopefully be a massive game and will feature many locations! I hope it will be the biggest game in the franchise (in terms of scope and hours of gameplay). I just hope they can come up with a character as good as or better than Ezio http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

Azugo
07-28-2011, 09:54 PM
Yeah, I agree with acjake.

Arguably the most important instalment in the franchise, well, I don't think they'd leave just one year for it to be done.

I think it's safe to say they've been working on it since they completed AC2.

kriegerdesgottes
07-28-2011, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by acjake:
Yes, I believe AC3 is being worked on and has been since AC2. I think a separate team is working on AC3 and when AC:R is finished the current AC:R team will join the AC3 team. I don't think they would leave AC3 (IMO the most crucial game) to a 1 year development cycle. AC3 will hopefully be a massive game and will feature many locations! I hope it will be the biggest game in the franchise (in terms of scope and hours of gameplay). I just hope they can come up with a character as good as or better than Ezio http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

I hope and pray this is true. I do believe they have started on it and they probably do have a separate team who just concentrates on ACIII.

acjake
07-28-2011, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by kriegerdesgotte:
I hope and pray this is true. I do believe they have started on it and they probably do have a separate team who just concentrates on ACIII.

I just hope AC3 has a variety of cities like AC1/2. ACB was great and all but just one location gets a little boring. I mean you do go to other locations but its super confined.

twenty_glyphs
07-28-2011, 10:04 PM
I would imagine they have indeed been working on AC3 since just before or after AC2 production ended. There was a news story a few months ago about someone's LinkedIn profile mentioning texturing work they had done on AC3 before it was taken down. From what I understand of video game development, there will usually be a core team of people working on the initial concepts and prototypes for a game for a while before they hit full-scale production and bring on a lot more people to finish building the initial vision. There has probably been a team of some capacity working for quite a while on AC3, and hopefully the Revelations team will be joining them for the final run after they get a well-deserved break.

kriegerdesgottes
07-28-2011, 10:05 PM
Yeah totally agree. I was just thinking that same thing yesterday. I find myself playing Brotherhood considerably less than I played the first two for that exact reason. You start to feel like you're in a beautiful prison with no way out. I think/hope they know the expectations are huge on ACIII and that it pretty much has to blow ACII out of the water somehow which is no easy task.

acjake
07-28-2011, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by twenty_glyphs:
I would imagine they have indeed been working on AC3 since just before or after AC2 production ended. There was a news story a few months ago about someone's LinkedIn profile mentioning texturing work they had done on AC3 before it was taken down. From what I understand of video game development, there will usually be a core team of people working on the initial concepts and prototypes for a game for a while before they hit full-scale production and bring on a lot more people to finish building the initial vision. There has probably been a team of some capacity working for quite a while on AC3, and hopefully the Revelations team will be joining them for the final run after they get a well-deserved break.

Agree, they do deserve a break! Off-topic do you think that the AC franchise will take a breather after AC3. It's no secret that AC3 will be out 2012. So maybe the AC franchise will take a break after AC3 until next gen consoles...I mean recently there has been many rumors that new consoles are not far off.

twenty_glyphs
07-28-2011, 11:21 PM
I also think they definitely need to include more than one or two free-roam cities in AC3. Rome was great, but on its own it felt like a downgrade after the many different environments of AC2. I hope that Cappadocia and Masyaf in Revelations become free-roam locations at some point instead of being entirely linear.

As much as I like the series, I would like to see Assassin's Creed take a break after AC3 in 2012. Even if it's just one year off with a new storyline/trilogy starting in 2014, I think that breather would be nice to help everyone wind down from the current story. Maybe release a large epilogue DLC in 2013, but it really feels like it needs some room to breathe.

kriegerdesgottes
07-29-2011, 10:02 AM
Agreed and that is the exact thing Jean Francois Boivin was saying right before he gave up and followed Patrice out the door. I have a feeling it won't happen though and we are more likely to get another couple Brotherhood/Revelations type games immediately after ACIII. They have already said they are setting things up for the next character who will "follow the same cycle from assassin to master to mentor."

DavisP92
07-29-2011, 11:10 AM
i remember the team saying in a article last year during the production of brotherhood, around august. that they were working on a new assassin. can't remember where but it's probably somewhere out there.

rileypoole1234
07-29-2011, 11:18 AM
I agree with acjake and really hope that AC3 takes place in more than one location. That would make it awesome, if we traveled around the world in search of Temples. It would be even more awesome if that(I find this extremely unlikely) AC3 was so massive, that it's split in to 2 games.

Sparty2020
07-29-2011, 12:00 PM
Back when AC2 was released they announced that they expected AC3 to hit in 2012. I don't know whether that's still possible of even if I want that. ACB is a fantastic game but it isn't anywhere near as deep as AC2. AC2 had philosophy, art, and religious knowledge from both Abrahamic and Pagan religion oozing from the wazoo. When you played the game you had a consistent sense of wonder as if you were exploring new territory and learning new materials. AC2 was the sort of game that the more you had going in the more you got going out.

ACB by comparison felt more GTA by comparison. A large open world, multiple side quests, an optional main mission, and a concept so simple (no philosophical codexs, no cool glyphs, no sense of wonder) that a complete new comer could just go in and pick it up. But after getting 100% synch in ACB I just couldn't bring myself to replay it until 7 months later. It's like GTA which sucks in 10-15 hours of your life with a story, an additional 15-20 with mindless running around for menial completionist tasks, and after all's said and done you just never want to play it again.

I keep telling myself that ACB was an experiment for a large team and that any successors would be superior, but I know that somewhere in my mind I realize that while the gameplay and graphics of the series continues evolving the story is being sacrificed. It's impossible to write a good novel in a month, no matter how many people are in a room.

medcsu11
07-29-2011, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by acjake:

I agree with this

twenty_glyphs
07-29-2011, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by Sparty2020:
Back when AC2 was released they announced that they expected AC3 to hit in 2012. I don't know whether that's still possible of even if I want that. ACB is a fantastic game but it isn't anywhere near as deep as AC2. AC2 had philosophy, art, and religious knowledge from both Abrahamic and Pagan religion oozing from the wazoo. When you played the game you had a consistent sense of wonder as if you were exploring new territory and learning new materials. AC2 was the sort of game that the more you had going in the more you got going out.

ACB by comparison felt more GTA by comparison. A large open world, multiple side quests, an optional main mission, and a concept so simple (no philosophical codexs, no cool glyphs, no sense of wonder) that a complete new comer could just go in and pick it up. But after getting 100% synch in ACB I just couldn't bring myself to replay it until 7 months later. It's like GTA which sucks in 10-15 hours of your life with a story, an additional 15-20 with mindless running around for menial completionist tasks, and after all's said and done you just never want to play it again.

I keep telling myself that ACB was an experiment for a large team and that any successors would be superior, but I know that somewhere in my mind I realize that while the gameplay and graphics of the series continues evolving the story is being sacrificed. It's impossible to write a good novel in a month, no matter how many people are in a room.

I agree about the sense of history and wonder in AC2, and for me a lot of it came from the Codex and the glyphs. It was very engaging to track them down in the world, continually looking for the next piece of the puzzle. It was really nice to read about Alta´r after having just seen part of his story in the first game. I really wanted to know what was going to be said in his Codex. The Scrolls of Romulus in Brotherhood were almost as good and in the same spirit as the Codex, but there were only six of them, so it felt lacking.

The Rifts in Brotherhood were just as compelling as the glyphs, but unfortunately there were only 10 of them instead of 20, so it really felt like you got less. Also finding them felt just a little less rewarding, maybe because they were just generic white holes in the game world instead of cool-looking glyphs. As far as the story and puzzles inside of them, that was probably about the same amount of content as AC2 since a lot of its glyphs were shorter than Brotherhood's. I also think the Rifts suffered because you didn't get anything when you solved them, just the corrupted video data. The glyphs felt more rewarding because at least you got to see a one second video clip that kept getting more intriguing.

I really hope that Revelations expands on the philosophical pages and the glyphs to find in the world, but I don't know if it will. At the very least, AC3 needs to do something big with them again. In the Embers trailer it appears that Ezio is writing down his own journal in a scene or two, so perhaps he'll leave behind writings and musings to find and read in AC3.

dchil279
07-29-2011, 02:19 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sparty2020:

I agree about the sense of history and wonder in AC2, and for me a lot of it came from the Codex and the glyphs. It was very engaging to track them down in the world, continually looking for the next piece of the puzzle. It was really nice to read about Alta´r after having just seen part of his story in the first game. I really wanted to know what was going to be said in his Codex. The Scrolls of Romulus in Brotherhood were almost as good and in the same spirit as the Codex, but there were only six of them, so it felt lacking.

The Rifts in Brotherhood were just as compelling as the glyphs, but unfortunately there were only 10 of them instead of 20, so it really felt like you got less. Also finding them felt just a little less rewarding, maybe because they were just generic white holes in the game world instead of cool-looking glyphs. As far as the story and puzzles inside of them, that was probably about the same amount of content as AC2 since a lot of its glyphs were shorter than Brotherhood's. I also think the Rifts suffered because you didn't get anything when you solved them, just the corrupted video data. The glyphs felt more rewarding because at least you got to see a one second video clip that kept getting more intriguing.

I really hope that Revelations expands on the philosophical pages and the glyphs to find in the world, but I don't know if it will. At the very least, AC3 needs to do something big with them again. In the Embers trailer it appears that Ezio is writing down his own journal in a scene or two, so perhaps he'll leave behind writings and musings to find and read in AC3. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Word.

acjake
07-29-2011, 02:39 PM
I also think they definitely need to include more than one or two free-roam cities in AC3. Rome was great, but on its own it felt like a downgrade after the many different environments of AC2. I hope that Cappadocia and Masyaf in Revelations become free-roam locations at some point instead of being entirely linear.

As much as I like the series, I would like to see Assassin's Creed take a break after AC3 in 2012. Even if it's just one year off with a new storyline/trilogy starting in 2014, I think that breather would be nice to help everyone wind down from the current story. Maybe release a large epilogue DLC in 2013, but it really feels like it needs some room to breathe.

Agreed. I really hope we can travel to Cappadocia and Masyaf...maybe even do some side missions. I am really hoping Cappadocia and Masyaf aren't like a five minute stop-over.

Orginally posted by kriegerdesgotte:
Agreed and that is the exact thing Jean Francois Boivin was saying right before he gave up and followed Patrice out the door. I have a feeling it won't happen though and we are more likely to get another couple Brotherhood/Revelations type games immediately after ACIII. They have already said they are setting things up for the next character who will "follow the same cycle from assassin to master to mentor."

IMO ...I really hope after AC3 they don't make AC into a generic cycle following the whole novice, master, and mentor theme.