PDA

View Full Version : TrackIR and 6DOF in BoB

bmoffa
09-23-2007, 08:36 AM
I understand that BoB will support 6DOF when it finally arrives. I've never used a sim that supports it and was wondering how it will complicate gunnery. I assume you will have to move your head to the correct position in alignment to the pipper in order to line up your shot.

Can someone share there experiences with 6DOF and gunnery?

VonGrantoven
09-23-2007, 11:22 AM
You are not wrong that it can complicate gunnery!
6DOF is incredibly useful for keeping your eye on bogies that try to hide behind canopy lines and in those rear-low blindspots, and makes a huge difference on taxiing and final approach. In fact, lack of it was a real adjustment when I started with 1946 (I kept on cocking my head to the side and nothing would happen!)
It is however, real easy to find your head is off center in regards to the pipper. Its easily dealt with though, as you can map a button on your joystick to automatically center your head.
Some guys apparently don't do this and prefer the realism of just manually (visually?) lining their eyes up on the sights, but I find it quite difficult in the heat of battle to quickly get locked on like this. I am also crappy enough that I certainly dont need any more potential handicaps to help me miss the target!

I think when you finally get a chance to experience the full 6DOF you will find it quite an experience. It definitely takes a bit of getting used to, but once you do you may find yourself cocking your head in weird directions when watching videos and stuff!

Jediteo
09-23-2007, 02:21 PM
6DOF takes some time getting used to concerning gunney. I got my freetrack setup working pretty good, but in BobII-WoW, it is rather difficult to get the sights lined up. In il2 we have the reticle lined up, but firing from a bf109 in BoBII can be a spot of bother some times, especially when you are in a hurry. Mapping a button to centre the view is a great tool to deal with this problem

Pyrres
09-24-2007, 07:18 AM
Or what about macro that centers the view everytime you press the triger. So you would be centered atleast when the bullets start to fly.