PDA

View Full Version : Is Sirius satellite radio better than XM?? Siriusly!!

mortoma
02-19-2008, 01:39 PM
I just got a brand spankin' new 2008 Honda and got XM radio with it. Seems ok but some of the music they play on certain stations is not all that great. And they only have one conservative, right-wing talk station which was praising McCain, so I turned it off immediately. They have 3 or 4 spanish stations which is 3 or 4 too many. As if there are illegals in this country that get XM anyway. They have two liberal commie staions and I am trying to see if I can eliminate those plus the spanish stations from the lineup.

A station like "The 60s" might play music from the 60s alright, but it's something so obscure I either don't remember it or it was not really even a hit song. The 70s, 80s and the 90s are the same way relatively. The classic rock stations are the personal taste of somebody at XM radio or something. In other words, it's alright but not stellar. For sports they have a lot of major league baseball but hardly any NBA stations or none at all. On a brighter note, they have one station entirely devoted to Led Zeppelin, which I find rather cool. The BBC world service would be OK if they did not talk so much about boring economics/business all the time. Are the brits obsessed with that subject?

Is Sirius much better?

SlickStick
02-19-2008, 01:51 PM
Soon, you won't have to decide.

XM-Sirius Merger (http://money.cnn.com/2007/02/19/news/companies/xm_sirius/index.htm)

foxyboy1964
02-19-2008, 02:01 PM
A station devoted to Led Zep has got to be a good thing. I suggest you listen to it regularly otherwise they might take it away.

The British are obsessed with the weather. On UK TV we have a weather forecast every 10 mins or so. At the end of each news programme we have two weather forecasts. One of them is National and the other is Regional. The Regional forecast is for the "hard of understanding", just in case they didn't know which part of the map they should have been looking at during the National forecast.

mortoma
02-19-2008, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by foxyboy1964:
A station devoted to Led Zep has got to be a good thing. I suggest you listen to it regularly otherwise they might take it away.

The British are obsessed with the weather. On UK TV we have a weather forecast every 10 mins or so. At the end of each news programme we have two weather forecasts. One of them is National and the other is Regional. The Regional forecast is for the "hard of understanding", just in case they didn't know which part of the map they should have been looking at during the National forecast. Wow, I guess I know little of GB considering my Scottish ancestry. I though they only had one type of weather over there, cloudy, cool and damp!! I guess I should vaction there someday just to see what it's like. Not just the weather of course.

mortoma
02-19-2008, 02:13 PM
I just noticed that they have no stations devoted to the NFL either. Maybe they can't get the licenses/permissions from the leagues like the NBA and NFL to broadcast the games. They have NHL hockey, but it's nowhere nearly as popular as NBA and NFL!! I am headed over to the Sirius website to look at their lineup.

Go Sirius/XM merger!!!! I hope it happens.

foxyboy1964
02-19-2008, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by mortoma:
I though they only had one type of weather over there, cloudy, cool and damp!!

Most of the time it is http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif. Sometimes it gets a bit hot in the summer. The south of England can get as high as 30 degrees on occasion http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif.

Low_Flyer_MkIX
02-19-2008, 02:31 PM
Is that celcius or farenheit? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

mortoma
02-19-2008, 02:48 PM
Celcius of course, and that would be 86 degrees F. In the US that is warm but not hot. I live in Utah now and it regularly gets up to 105F ( 40.5C ) in the summer!!

foxyboy1964
02-19-2008, 02:48 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Celcius. Isn't the record 35ish?

Edit...apparently the record is 38.5 recorded at Faversham in Kent, August 2003. Too hot for me.
http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/corporate/pressoffice/2006/pr20060717.html

Low_Flyer_MkIX
02-19-2008, 02:53 PM
Well all I knows is them girls on the south coast wears less in the summer than in the winter, seems to be more of 'em abouts when it's clothes off season too. Must be a scientific explanation out there.

Messaschnitzel
02-19-2008, 02:53 PM
They have 3 or 4 spanish stations which is 3 or 4 too many. As if there are illegals in this country that get XM anyway. They have two liberal commie staions and I am trying to see if I can eliminate those plus the spanish stations from the lineup.

Don't live in California! You'll see billboards and advertisments written in Spanish only. One of the reasons that I have an advantage over others getting a job is that I can speak Spanish. There are a lot of Legales living here. They are interested in everything that you or I am interested in such as owning a house, and making a decent living, for example. They have computers, plasma TV's and are tech saavy as anyone else whom I have met. In my experience, the main reason Latinos are taking "the jobs away"
is because many kids in the U.S. these days are not interested in getting their hands dirty working for an honest living anymore. I personally prefer working with a legal immigrant who actually works and doesn't whine about what amounts to how unfair life is, and that they weren't born rich. These whiners want to get paid first, and maybe then do the work. If there is a need or void, then someone or something will fill it, legally or illegally.

Also, Guest Worker Programs have a way of turning around and biting a government and people in the @ss given enough time.

Soy de Los Estados Unidos. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

foxyboy1964
02-19-2008, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by Low_Flyer_MkIX:
Well all I knows is them girls on the south coast wears less in the summer than in the winter, seems to be more of 'em abouts when it's clothes off season too. Must be a scientific explanation out there.

With a bit of luck conditions this summer will allow you to get out there and conduct extensive research on the "clothes off" phenomenon. Photographic evidence should be posted in a suitably named thread for review purposes.

mortoma
02-19-2008, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by Messaschnitzel:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mortoma:
They have 3 or 4 spanish stations which is 3 or 4 too many. As if there are illegals in this country that get XM anyway. They have two liberal commie staions and I am trying to see if I can eliminate those plus the spanish stations from the lineup.
Don't live in California! You'll see billboards and advertisments written in Spanish only. One of the reasons that I have an advantage over others getting a job is that I can speak Spanish. There are a lot of Legales living here. They are interested in everything that you or I am interested in such as owning a house, and making a decent living, for example. They have computers, plasma TV's and are tech saavy as anyone else whom I have met. In my experience, the main reason Latinos are taking "the jobs away"
is because many kids in the U.S. these days are not interested in getting their hands dirty working for an honest living anymore. I personally prefer working with a legal immigrant who actually works and doesn't whine about what amounts to how unfair life is, and that they weren't born rich. These whiners want to get paid first, and maybe then do the work. If there is a need or void, then someone or something will fill it, legally or illegally.

Also, Guest Worker Programs have a way of turning around and biting a government and people in the @ss given enough time.

Soy de Los Estados Unidos. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I know more than you think. I was married to a Venezolana for catorce anos!! And yes, I speak the language moderately well. My ex-wife was staunchly against the flood of illegal mexicans coming into this country. She was a crew leader of many of them at Weaver Popcorn Co. in Indiana.

She knows the bad attitude they have, they hate us caucasions with a passion and sneak into our country ( while she had to do it legally with the immigration service ) and then think we owe them something. Then they make money under the table and some of the males make pretty good money since there are no taxes taken out. Then they are able to get welfare and food stamps and end up doing better than people like you and me since their income is not reported. They burden our schools and hospitals and cost tax payers billions of dollars. About half come into the country to commit crimes and perpetrate hari-kari upon our citizens. And if you look at the websites for the most of the fifty states "most-wanted" criminals, you'll see that the majority of them have hispanic names!! And I live in Utah and there are plenty of signs in spanish, as there are all over the US now.

And it's not so much that anyone, young or old, does not want to work for a living anymore, this is liberal propaganda
that tries to justify the flood of illegals. It's more that they can't get the jobs any more because the mexicans stole them, due to greedy business and corporates that are more than willing to allow it.

And of course I know there are some that are legal, but as it is now, I'd estimate that only about 15% of the hispanics in the country right now are legal. So don't talk like you know it all simply because you live is crapifornia. Just because you know a few that are legal and might actually want something like satellite radio is meaningless, the vast majority are not legal and they aren't interested in stuff like that.

Loco-S
02-19-2008, 05:34 PM
You know what pisses me the most?....people who come here, where the official language is English, and force everybody to speak their language, call me whatever, I am not a Native here, and my accent was horrendous when I first came here, but I practiced, and forced myself to speak Proper English to be part (productive and pro active) of the country, when somebody starts trying to speak to me in Spanish ( I speak it from birth), I quickly switch to English...Im not a snob, I actually want to integrate here, Spanish is disruptive for the country...If they want to speak other language , please send them back to where they came from.

Originally posted by Messaschnitzel:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mortoma:

Soy de Los Estados Unidos. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Messaschnitzel
02-19-2008, 06:55 PM

And it's not so much that anyone, young or old, does not want to work for a living anymore, this is liberal propaganda
that tries to justify the flood of illegals. It's more that they can't get the jobs any more because the mexicans stole them, due to greedy business and corporates that are more than willing to allow it.

And of course I know there are some that are legal, but as it is now, I'd estimate that only about 15% of the hispanics in the country right now are legal. So don't talk like you know it all simply because you live is crapifornia. Just because you know a few that are legal and might actually want something like satellite radio is meaningless, the vast majority are not legal and they aren't interested in stuff like that.

Don't think that I am trying to say that I know it all. After living and working around people of many nationalities in "Crapifornia" for the last 30 years, I have seen what I have seen. I have gone from a rural town in East Texas where the Black folks lived on the other side of town from the White folks, to an entirely different way of life here in California. He11, I never met a Russian until I came out here. When I was growing up, all Russians were a nebulous enemy not to be trusted. Since then, I have had to deal with both good and bad Russian immigrants because there are a good number of them in blue collar jobs. Some of them had questionable legal status. The same can be said of all of the other diverse immigrants with whom I have worked with or otherwise known.

I am not arguing that you are entirely wrong in what you say. Some of the things that you are complaining about are going to get worse. There are so many languages that I hear, and the diverse signs written in different languages when I go into the Bay Area, I could swear that I am not in the U.S. anymore. Our government's policy of selling land and property to non U.S. citizens for all of these years has helped float our nation's economy, but it does have its drawbacks. The world is getting smaller and smaller due to technology and travel. The whole world is going to be this way, people are going to have to get used to it and there's no going back. Either people can complain, fight, or adapt to the situation the best they can.

It'll come to a head probably sooner rather than later. Whatever happens, I'll do the best I can to adapt and survive. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Mortoma, if you will, what do you do for a living?

Copperhead311th
02-20-2008, 02:06 AM
i have a Sirus head unit in my pick up....i've had 2 actaually. and i just never get around to buyng the damn antenae for this thing and gettinga subscription.

i'm hoping it will still work after the merger. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

mortoma
02-20-2008, 08:24 AM
Copper, it should work after the merger or there should be some kind of a deal for existing customers or those with old equipment to exchange it for something that will work.

That is, IF there is a merger. It still is not a done deal yet. The FCC and other govt. agencies do not like the merger since it would be a monopoly. They may allow it if they agree to a subscription price fix.

I am thinking if there is no merger, that I will switch to Sirius because they have a sports package that suits me a little better. But neither system has a perfect sports package. Sirius has NBA and NFL, but XM has college FB, BB and ML-baseball. But not visa versa. Neither one has it all. I also think Sirius has slightly better music but I'm not sure.