PDA

View Full Version : Zero speed

domenlovrec
08-08-2005, 05:24 PM
hi

I've been flying with zero for a few days so i have few question. Since i can not fly as fast as wildcat, i'd like to know how to shot it down. They keep circling and they get away. I tried to use other prop. settings, but this seams useless. So plz, post some tips about zero or paste some links. tnx

WarWolfe_1
08-08-2005, 05:37 PM
If you can't beat em, join em.....Fly the Wildcat http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/784.gif

p1ngu666
08-08-2005, 05:44 PM
irl, zero was faster.

use your roc to get height over them, and run the engine flat out, with 120% mix, with radiator open

use the 7mm cowl guns to poke the aircraft u after, and use trim to help reduce drag http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

VF-29_Sandman
08-08-2005, 05:49 PM
their using historical tactics...avoiding turning with a zero with a wildcat and use speed against it.
the zero was built for extremely tight turning radius at slow speeds. in the zeke's envelope, almost nothing will outturn it, and they know this. also was built for low alt..under 10,000 feet. above this, the zekes started to run into trouble against the us fighters.

at slow speeds, the wildcat wont be able to outturn or even outclimb the zeke. that's ur only advantage. in cfs2, ojisan_rock was the master of the a6m2. he prefered keeping the zeke low, and no more than 125 mph. at this speed, the zeke will turn on a dime and its extremely high climb rate, will make the job of zoom and boomer's a bit difficult if u work at avoiding getting hit. sneaking up on a furball might be 1 way, but at the same time, u have to keep ur head on a swivel. 1 hit, and the zeke is basically toast. if u can sucker them into turning with u, he's toast. the zeke if flown correctly is an incredibly difficult plane to hit on a 1 on 1 setting; a well timed break turn will throw the z/b's aim off and force them to either run and live, or commit suicide and try to turn. this is 1 plane where doing head-on's is suicidal and foolhardy. use the climb/turn rate against them..not head-on's

p1ngu666
08-08-2005, 06:00 PM
zero is ok for medium and high stuff till later planes. and the F4F was slower, better at dive and highspeed controls, otherwise the zero was better in regimes of flight http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

JG53Frankyboy
08-08-2005, 06:12 PM
http://www.j-aircraft.com/research/rdunn/zeroperformance/zero_performance.htm

LStarosta
08-08-2005, 07:54 PM
The Wildcat is the best plane in the game. I have proofs.

http://home.comcast.net/~l.starosta/proofs.jpg

ElAurens
08-08-2005, 08:37 PM
The long and short of it is that the Zero is undermodeled in speed.

Be sure.

Badsight.
08-08-2005, 10:42 PM
the Zeros lack of speed suits some people , they wont ever point it out

but IN REAL LIFE the Zeros pilots could run down fleeing F4F Wildcat pilots

running wasnt an option

VW-IceFire
08-08-2005, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by Badsight.:

running wasnt an option
It was if you dove...but in any other instance yes they'd run down a Wildcat in most situations.

Nonetheless....the Zero pilots in our sim shouldn't have to work too hard against a Wildcat. The idea in the Zero is to make the Wildcat manuever alot to try and get a firing solution. Waste his energy and pop him some 20mm when he's not looking.

The Zero accelerates, turns, and climbs better than the Wildcat. Basically Wildcats have to boom and zoom. Once caught low on energy...they are easy pickings...

Badsight.
08-08-2005, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by VF-29_Sandman:
at slow speeds, the wildcat wont be able to outturn or even outclimb the zeke. that's ur only advantage. the Zeros "other" advantage is to be able to disengage from the Wildcat - at will - & leave it in the dust with its superior accelleration & TOP SPEED

thinking the FB is right in this , is wrong

jugent
08-09-2005, 12:39 AM
You must rely on that the cat-pilot does some mistakes or get damaged by flak.
The worst case is P38L vs late Zero. The difference is greater but you can wulch them on their base. They are usually less defended thant the CV:s.
But the relation zero/cat is not so bad after all.
The cat is faster take more damage and have more firepower.
The relation spit/Me109 is worse. The spit is more manouverable, climbs better, got better guns and can take more damage and in the later versions, is faster.

alert_1
08-09-2005, 01:50 AM
Zero vs. Wildcat is analogy of La5 vs. Fw190..

Xiolablu3
08-09-2005, 03:25 AM
I disagree that the spit can take more damage than a 109.

109Gs in particular are pretty resistant to stuff I find.

Spit is a paper plane when I fly it, 1 hit and my wing comes off or im smoking badly.

ElAurens
08-09-2005, 05:40 AM
Originally posted by VW-IceFire:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Badsight.:

running wasnt an option
It was if you dove...but in any other instance yes they'd run down a Wildcat in most situations.

Nonetheless....the Zero pilots in our sim shouldn't have to work too hard against a Wildcat. The idea in the Zero is to make the Wildcat manuever alot to try and get a firing solution. Waste his energy and pop him some 20mm when he's not looking.

The Zero accelerates, turns, and climbs better than the Wildcat. Basically Wildcats have to boom and zoom. Once caught low on energy...they are easy pickings... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have repeatedly had F4Fs run away from me in the straight and level. And not from a position of energy advantage either.

Either the in game Wildcat is too fast, or the Zero is too slow.

This has nothing to do with tactics.

AAA_Mohican
08-09-2005, 06:15 AM
The zero actually has 40 km per hour less than its real top speed, if we trust in Saburo SakaiāĀ“s word.

Saburo Sakai, in his own book titled "Samurai" gives the zero 40 km/h more of top speed, and says that A6M2 was clearly faster than the wildcat. The only way to scape in the wildcat in a one to one combat, was really making a sharp dive.

Regards.

Jumoschwanz
08-09-2005, 07:07 AM
domenlovrec,

The zero in this sim flies well at high alt. All you have to do is take it up to 6800 meters alt, find a target below you and zoom down. Quit trying to fight them on their terms.

Jumoschwanz

Atomic_Marten
08-09-2005, 07:29 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by VF-29_Sandman:
at slow speeds, the wildcat wont be able to outturn or even outclimb the zeke. that's ur only advantage. the Zeros "other" advantage is to be able to disengage from the Wildcat - at will - & leave it in the dust with its superior accelleration & TOP SPEED

thinking the FB is right in this , is wrong </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I did not know that... geez one could imagine the US Navy pilot feelings about that in those days...

nakamura_kenji
08-09-2005, 08:17 AM
i dislike fly zero behonest find it to slow catch anything other than sbd or sleeping wildcat flying economy. it is very poor diver once high speed is reached so engage at altitude cant follow wildcat into dive better just sit at altitude and wait for them come back up again. other dislike is that people say it good turner it not really when compare to ki-43 difference is ki-43 has such manoverabilty supperiority over allied aircraft in slow dogfight it possible to surivive 1v3 dogfight assuming they try turn with you where this would be death in zero as other two planes would just park on tail as you fire other one. i dislike zero gunsight view also it far to far forward and gives limited forward view so have keep changing plus find gunsight more difficult to lead with in turn as plane disappear below engine cowling easy leaving lead to guess work, this not happen as bad with ki-43(very acurate so not look through alot) and ki-61(favorite of japanese gunsight). cant help feel a6m should have been replace quick as possible with a7m reppu than being upgrade like did.

online i fan of ija plane most ki-61 as find it far supior in many aspect to a6m make it very good alrounder for being able to dive and have gunsight not have switch view to use. just wish was little faster but not have everything just need be careful what fight pick (have never flown ki-84 online ^_^)

p1ngu666
08-09-2005, 08:19 AM
thatch weave http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif
ironicaly, both the F4F and zero are too slow i think, but the zero moreso so its worse than the f4f

firepower is similer, 6 or 40 fifty cals, vs 2x 20mm cannon and 2 7.7mm guns

Blackdog5555
08-09-2005, 11:02 AM
Thatch and his men loathed the F4F. He stated that his results were attributed to superior training, tactics and gunnery. F4F only fought in squadrons using teamwork....not like online on HL. I dont agree that the zero istoo slow in the game. it specs are right on the money. Though its turning ability is not correct from what ive read. was supposed to do a 360 in about 7 seconds. try it, youll see the Zero does underperform in turning.

NorrisMcWhirter
08-09-2005, 11:14 AM
I don't worry about the speed too much - you can normally rope some Wildcat jock into a spiral climb then pick him off at your leisure.

It's only the smart ones you have to worry about and there aren't that many.

Ta,
Norris

LStarosta
08-09-2005, 11:17 AM
My associate and I belong to that special breed.

VFS-214_Hawk
08-09-2005, 04:20 PM

running wasnt an option http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

ElAurens
08-09-2005, 04:59 PM
Your laughing only proves our point even more Hawk.

The Wildcat is too fast or the Zero is too slow, one or the other, and you know it.

NorrisMcWhirter
08-09-2005, 05:03 PM
There is a mismatch historically? Heaven forbid. Open up 50,000 threads and have the Wildcat porked or the Zero souped up immediately.

Oh no, sorry, it's only a Japanese aircraft; stetsons can remain intact http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Ta,
Norris

ElAurens
08-09-2005, 05:08 PM
I don't want either aircrart "porked" or "souped up". I like the Wildcat and Zero about equally, I just want them accurately modeled. Currently this is not the case.

NorrisMcWhirter
08-09-2005, 05:10 PM
^ was joking. You'd be surprised (or maybe not), though..some people would rather have it a-historical.

Ta,
Norris