PDA

View Full Version : Some bugs I've found

sw25th
08-02-2008, 08:50 PM
BUG 1:

Sometimes when i land the airplane hard enough, the center fuel tank catches on fire (all aircraft). But it doesnt say my fuel tank is on fire. Then I explode within 30seconds. Yes it's reproducable, happens with latest beta patch and with previous patch.

I've tested this. Apparently it happens most when the aircraft is landed on a hill, or a wingtip strikes the ground during landing.

BUG 2:

Difficulty in adding all airplanes to a plane list, including the ai ones.

HAVE YOU EXPERIENCE THIS? DO YOU KNOW WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT?

sw25th
08-02-2008, 09:03 PM
videos coming

VW-IceFire
08-02-2008, 09:25 PM
BUG 1: Probably not a bug. A plane that has crashed hard does tend to light itself on fire due to one reason or another. Plenty of crashed aircraft videos online to look at...gruesome as they are.

The game engine doesn't model this 100% in my experience so its not unusual for a hard landing or a hard strike to the wing to cause a weird fire...it doesn't seem to be associated specifically with the fuel tanks and its simulated as more of a "general fire". If that makes any sense.

BUG 2: No idea what you're talking about here. What list...where?

sw25th
08-02-2008, 10:47 PM
ok i made the videos with fraps. going to upload to a regular FTP. Youtube has been slow and buggy lately.

BUG 1:

No. It happens even at slow speeds, including high speeds. I've noticed its more prone with engine at idle.

BUG 2:

Fly all planes on one map. FLY ALL missions were popular cuz u could fly even the AI planes, B17 etc.

Skycat_2
08-02-2008, 11:08 PM
Re: The 'list' of AI planes added to maps as flyables, are you hosting a mulitplayer session? Or are you wanting to add 'new' flyables to offline missions and campaigns?

sw25th
08-03-2008, 01:48 AM
uploading videos to ftp now.

sw25th
08-03-2008, 02:11 AM
The mysterious center fuel tank bug. Someone upload it to youtube and repost the video here.

BWaltteri
08-03-2008, 08:26 AM
Once my fuel tank exploded even if my tank was empty. I feel an empty tank shouldn't explode.

VW-IceFire
08-03-2008, 08:30 AM
Your video is messed. What did you encode it as? Nothing including VLC has any idea what it is.

Bug 1: Speed is not necessarily an indicator...if you mash your plane in...80kph is still fast.

Bug 2: Still not making any sense here. Instead of it being a bug how about you clearly describe what your trying to do and where. That might let us help you.

b2spirita
08-03-2008, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by BWaltteri:
Once my fuel tank exploded even if my tank was empty. I feel an empty tank shouldn't explode.

Yeah, but arnt fumes much more explosive than the fuel itself?

VW-IceFire
08-03-2008, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by b2spirita:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BWaltteri:

Yeah, but arnt fumes much more explosive than the fuel itself? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Bingo!

Xiolablu3
08-03-2008, 11:38 AM
Once a group of Spitfires caught a group of Me110's just about to jettison their empty tanks coming from Norway to attack Britain in 1940.

A number of them simply blew up in mid air when fired upon.

Empty fuel tanks full of fumes are probably even more explosive than full fuel tanks.

BWaltteri
08-03-2008, 11:55 AM
Alright alright alright alright.

Wasn't a too good landing either.

b2spirita
08-03-2008, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by Xiolablu3:
Once a group of Spitfires caught a group of Me110's just about to jettison their empty tanks coming from Norway to attack Britain in 1940.

Empty fuel tanks full of fumes are probably even more explosive than full fuel tanks.

Was that with the 'dachund ' type tanks? Oh and to the original poster, do you normlly land on hills? Cos i dont. Or are you talking about a crash landing?

sw25th
08-03-2008, 01:33 PM
It's in .avi format. you could use DIVx i assume.

i used fraps.

sw25th
08-03-2008, 02:27 PM
experiment with it yourself. try landing on the mountain slopes (mountain map) using the p38. carry in enough power and just before touchdown, reduce power. then, turn the airplane down the hill, dont apply power, let the plane reach approx 170kmh then watch how the mysterious fuel tank thats in the middle of the plane catch on fire. you will explode within 30seconds (it is always the same time as well).

I recorded a .trk file of this, and surprisingly it doesnt show that the plane is on fire, yet since i know it is, the plane then explodes mysteriously. since the .trk doesnt illustrate the fire.

sw25th
08-03-2008, 02:28 PM
im going to upload a .trk file so u can see wtf i am talking about

sw25th
08-03-2008, 02:36 PM
bug

mortoma
08-03-2008, 04:54 PM
What planes list are you talking about in the case of Bug #2???

sw25th
08-03-2008, 10:36 PM
i dont know how to add all planes to a "base". It's not easy enough. Is there a guide?

VW-IceFire
08-06-2008, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by sw25th:
It's in .avi format. you could use DIVx i assume.

i used fraps.
AVI format comes with many different forms of compression associated with it. I have DivX, Xvid, and a variety of other typical codecs installed.

In your example below your talking about mountain slopes all of a sudden. So are we talking about typically landing on runways or near runways or doing off the beaten path sorts of things....because yeah some weird stuff might happen then http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

sw25th
08-06-2008, 11:41 PM
Sigh. This mountain landing is just the example I use because it's where the problem is most easily duplicated.

I've encountered this bug while landing and dragging a wingtip (harmless), and while landing harder and blowing my gear out.

the thing is the track/recording does not show the fire except for on the original computer. Anyone but me who views it cant see the fire, but can see the explosion of the plane.

julian265
08-07-2008, 12:08 AM
Only recently I was flying across a friendly airfield online, with no enemies about and no flak shooting, and my 109 decided to catch fire after no contact with the ground at all.

???

There have been a few occasions where I've heard my plane being hit continuously by small caliber rounds, and slowly my plane would become damaged, despite there being nothing around to shoot me. This was on Skies of Valor so I could use externals to check. Either a bug, or someone was invisible.

chunkydora
08-07-2008, 12:15 AM

THIS IS SAD!!! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/disagree.gif
WHAT IS THE WOLRD COMING TOO WHEN YOUR EMPTY FUEL TANKS ARE MORE LIKELY TO KILL YOU THAN FULL ONES???!!! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/bigtears.gif

M_Gunz
08-07-2008, 02:30 AM
Empty just means the fuel level is lower than the fuel line.
It's supposed to be to leave fuel with dirt and unabsorbed water in the bottom of the tank,
same as with cars you don't want to run a tank empty as it loads up the filter.

Mixed with air in the correct proportions 1 cup of gas is worth 6 sticks of dynamite.

TinyTim
08-07-2008, 02:39 AM
Originally posted by chunkydora:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Xiolablu3:

THIS IS SAD!!! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/disagree.gif
WHAT IS THE WOLRD COMING TOO WHEN YOUR EMPTY FUEL TANKS ARE MORE LIKELY TO KILL YOU THAN FULL ONES???!!! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/bigtears.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Common misconception. Full fuel tank cannot even explode, because the fuel does not have any oxidiser (air...) needed for an explosion. What happens when full fuel tank is hit is that it is pierced/ripped apart and then fuel starts pouring out. Now if you are lucky, it ignites when in contact with air outside of the tank. It's much more a rapid burnout than explosion.

But when you have a partially full or empty fuel tank there is a high possibility that there is an explosive mixture of fuel vapor and air above the surface of the fuel. When this mixture is given any reason to explode (in form of a spark, or incendiary bullet...), it will. This is why on some planes (La-5 comes to mind) cooled down and filtered exhaust gasses were pumped into fuel tanks to prevent the creation of explosive mixture above the fuel level.

joeap
08-07-2008, 03:27 AM
The misconceptions that exist concerning basic science is astounding sometimes.

JG53Frankyboy
08-07-2008, 03:27 AM
Originally posted by sw25th:
i dont know how to add all planes to a "base". It's not easy enough. Is there a guide?

indeed , the AI planes you can only ad to a dogfightmission homebase when you are opening the mission.file in a texteditor and ad manually ad these plane to the homebaselist.
and tha, dont open and save this mission again in the game's missionbuilder , otherwise the AI are deleted. the FMB can only handle the flyable planes , surprise http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif .

the plane's name you need is the same as its skinfolder is named, IIRC.

and btw, thats not a bug, the gamedesigner did not wanted that these AI planes are be flwon by humans.....guess why they counted as not flaybale http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif - and some have some realy weird Flightmodels http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

jdigris001
08-08-2008, 06:07 PM
Bug1: after bailing out player a/c bouncing of the ground and doing numerous somersaults instead of coming apart or blowing up, spitfires and lightnings appear to be the worst offenders, but ive had 109s do it as well
bug2: player a/c fast shallow decent into water and coming out intact, albeit a bit slower but still flying, the lightning is the worst offender
bug3: blowing up when taxing to ramp, usually if drop tanks still fitted, even though landing was controlled and within a/c limits
bug4: stupid AI impacting hills on landing circuits
bug5: stupid AI colliding in mid flight when in formation straight and level
bug6: stupid AI doing circuits for landing whilst enemy is attacking and destroying the entire squadron
bug7: no response from squadron members to radio commands after diverting from flight waypoints, sometimes they obey "rejoin" but more often than not they ignore you, even though they respond with an affirmative
bug8: carriers running aground when close to shore, but ive only seen this in DCG missions so it might be a DCG object placement issue

DaddyAck
08-08-2008, 10:38 PM

Yep, while fuel remains in the tank the conditions in the tank are in the UEL being too rich to burn, conversly when the fuel is gone and there are just fumes the atmosphere within the tank goes into the LEL being too lean to burn. BUT when 20.95% O2 is handily intoduced into said fuel tank as it is ruptured and there is a heat souorce also intro duced then there is GREAT potential for combustion as the conditions of the tank move back up into the flamable range between the LEL and UEL with all pre-requisites met fuel air and heat.

Just my $00.02 http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif

deepo_HP
08-09-2008, 06:46 PM
hi jdigris,

concerning your bugs #1+2:
try to switch 'invulnerability' off...

jdigris001
08-10-2008, 03:59 PM
That was with "invulnerabilty off", ive never selected invulnerabilty on. It doesnt do it all the time, it only happens in 1 in a 100 crashes, and only, same with the dive thru water bug, 1 in a 100 if your lucky, but it does happen

VW-IceFire
08-10-2008, 04:16 PM
Probably a good idea to record NTRK's and upload those to RapidShare or something like that. Then we can actually see these things happening.