PDA

View Full Version : Is this a game bug or what?

Avont29
08-13-2007, 05:15 PM
im flying in zekes vs wildcat, im at about 12k feet in a f4u-1d corsair, running from a N1K2, i dodge most of his bullets, but he puts a few holes on the instrument panel, so i dive down and run back to carriers, all of a sudden, my prop pitch, and throttle is stuck..

like i move the levers and everything and they dont change, then i try cutting th eengine, but then plane wouldn't start back up? whats that about?

i know it can't be a part of the damage model, cause there is no notice saying that your thorttle cables or prop pitch cables have been damaged

SlickStick
08-13-2007, 05:20 PM
It is most definitely part of the damage model, however there are no game messages for getting your throttle or prop pitch controls shot out.

There are a few kinds of this type of engine damage. One where your prop pitch control is damaged and you can throttle back to control revs. One where your throttle gets shot and you can control revs by adjusting prop pitch. The nastiest one is where both get shot out at the same time. then, it's time to get home QUICK! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

VW-IceFire
08-13-2007, 08:44 PM
Surprised you've never had that happen before. It happens to me a fair bit...I especially notice it on a plane like a A-20 that gets a fair bit of ground fire and you'll notice that, although both engines are running despite the damage, only one of them actually responds to any sort of input.

Most certainly part of the damage model. Sadly I don't think its across the entire aircraft spectrum although anything thats newer seems to run into this sort of thing. Anything from AEP and onwards.

M_Gunz
08-13-2007, 09:46 PM
A few holes in the instrument panel? Nahhh, got nothing to do with it!

VMF-214_HaVoK
08-13-2007, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by Avont29:
im flying in zekes vs wildcat, im at about 12k feet in a f4u-1d corsair, running from a N1K2, i dodge most of his bullets, but he puts a few holes on the instrument panel, so i dive down and run back to carriers, all of a sudden, my prop pitch, and throttle is stuck..

like i move the levers and everything and they dont change, then i try cutting th eengine, but then plane wouldn't start back up? whats that about?

i know it can't be a part of the damage model, cause there is no notice saying that your thorttle cables or prop pitch cables have been damaged

Yep it happens. Not too often but it happens.

Capt.LoneRanger
08-14-2007, 12:12 AM
Originally posted by Avont29:

If you say so... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif

The damage is caused by engine hits. You also don't get messages when you are loosing coolant or oil - does that mean you never had this kind of damage, either?

LEBillfish
08-14-2007, 12:37 AM
maybe he never has, give him a break!....Lots of folks just get head shot...Over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Feathered_IV
08-14-2007, 02:48 AM
Same thing happened to me in a Shiden while online a few weeks ago. Made for an exciting landing, as the only setting the engine would run at was flat out.

Bearcat99
08-14-2007, 11:27 AM
Nope.. no bug. A feature.

striker-85
08-14-2007, 08:06 PM
I have lost throttle and/or pitch control from time to time.

Strange but this very same thing happened to me on Zeke's last night except I was in an N1K2 and had just shot up a Corsair in a head on pass. After our pass I had no throttle or pitch control.

Once I got back to the field I had to cut the engine and dead stick the landing.

Avont29
08-14-2007, 08:44 PM
^^ heh would be funny if i was that corsair, and you were that N1K2, but i didn't go head on with the N1K2, he caught me in a climb..when "supposedly" <<< keyword, there was a p-51 behind that n1k2, trying to get that N1k2 off of me, but sadly he was a noob and didn't kill him, last time i count on someone to save my six

full real is so sweet

leitmotiv
08-14-2007, 09:05 PM
Wow, I've had every form of damage inflicted on me imaginable, but I've never lost throttle and prop pitch control. Amazing there are IL-2 hairy bustications I haven't experienced just when I thought I'd exhausted them all. I got out of my airplane after a wheels-up landing the other day---and promptly dropped dead. I've never had this happen before. O lucky man!

Feathered_IV
08-15-2007, 12:15 AM
Do you ever get the feeling that Oleg comes down the chimney form time to time and adds new features? There should be a medical term for that.

willyvic
08-15-2007, 01:03 AM
Originally posted by leitmotiv:
... I got out of my airplane after a wheels-up landing the other day---and promptly dropped dead. I've never had this happen before. O lucky man!

I bailed out a couple of weeks ago and my friggin airplane hit me on the way down. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

I thought Sourkraut and CrazyIvan were going to turn blue and pass out they were laughing so hard.

WV

Capt.LoneRanger
08-15-2007, 01:42 AM
Originally posted by willyvic:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by leitmotiv:
... I got out of my airplane after a wheels-up landing the other day---and promptly dropped dead. I've never had this happen before. O lucky man!

I bailed out a couple of weeks ago and my friggin airplane hit me on the way down. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/blink.gif

I thought Sourkraut and CrazyIvan were going to turn blue and pass out they were laughing so hard.

WV </div></BLOCKQUOTE> http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

x6BL_Brando
08-15-2007, 06:05 AM
The older radial engines are quite prone to taking engine hits that will reduce performance without visible leaks or Hud-log warnings.
For example, a lucky (or unlucky) round ricochets around the inside of the cowling and impacts a valve rocker, breaking it. The valve will no longer open. It doesn't really matter whether the valve is inlet or exhaust, the compression in one cylinder will be affected and maximum power becomes unattainable. The engine loses it balance too and becomes lumpy.
The scenario is quite easy to understand and, imo, well modelled in the sim; at least in such planes as the Gloster J8A and the Polikarpov fighters.

I was flying a P47-D22 last night and took a round in the engine compartment causing a minor smoke. As soon as I could I disengaged and shaped a course for home. Other than the faint trail behind me the plane seemed undamaged and I went into a long final approach as soon as I saw the runway lights about five minutes later. As I went wheels down and extended flaps I realised that I was about 250 yards early and would need more power to reach the touchdown point and I eased the throttle forward and....nothing happened! The engine continued to growl away, but airspeed fell to 80 knots while I was still 100 yards out and about 50 feet off the ground...and I stalled as I was trying to wind the flaps back in, and fell in fifty yards short and died in the wreck.

Anyone who's ever had a car engine start to fail but needed to complete the journey will know the ways in which progressive decay affects performance. Running fast downhill in the hope that my VW running on 3 & 1/2 cylinders will get enough 'E' to crest the next hill springs to mind http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif
While the DM in IL2 is lacking in some areas, this particular random effect is well modelled. That stray round may just have dissipated its energy on something unimportant or it might fracture an oil line causing a different damage sequence to be set in motion. It's the physics of chance.

It's worth remembering too that engine failure as a result of sloppy engineering or worn parts was a regular feature of wartime operations. Planes turned back on many occasions for faults a simple as oxygen equipment failure, R/T failure, low oil pressure and so on before ever encountering enemy fire. That's probably not so well modelled in the game, simply because of the 'disappointment factor'.
I.e. You get home, switch on your 'puter and settle down for a quick flight b4 you have tea and join the family.....you take off and fly the breadth of New Guinea, only to find a red light blinking on your panel, while you are still ten minutes out from your target. Your port engine oil pressure has fallen sharply, it's that dodgy pipe-clip that you pointed out to the exhausted fitter last night; and the engine will be a goner in half that time.
You'll never make the target: there's just time to reverse course, feather the prop, jettison the bomb-load and hightail it back towards the uncertain front-lines. If we get across the mountain we'll be searching for signs of friendly forces, searching for a suitable clearing, fretting over the remaing engine, and praying that we're not picked out by a passing Zero. Eventually you see a column of friendly supply trucks and order the crew to bail, but the co-pilot opts to stay and you wrestle the plane down onto a jungle road and come to a jarring halt against a tree. You hang semi-conscious in the straps, trying to clear your head and get away from the strong smell of spilling fuel trickling towards the red-hot manifold of the overstrained starboard engine......

While some might relish the idea of this level of realism, the rest may consider a half-hour flight with no aggressive action to be a total waste of time, or be caught in the idea that every aircraft had a Formula One-style team of mechanics and that the spares shelves were always full. It's a difficult market to satisfy, one where the developer has to balance the mix of ingredients carefully to avoid disappointment and loss of sales from bad reviews.

B

JG52Uther
08-15-2007, 06:22 AM
Brando the above scenario would suite me fine http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Deadmeat313
08-15-2007, 06:31 AM
Originally posted by JG52Uther:
Brando the above scenario would suite me fine http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Me too! I'd like it as a switchable option (like CEM).

Just imagine how different the debates would be on this forum:

"The LA-5 is totally overmodelled."
"Have you got Mechanical Failures switched on?"
"Aaah."

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

T.

DKoor
08-15-2007, 06:43 AM
You should see when a well put bullet screws up the 109 p1tch.
If you don't throttle down immediately your engine dies under 5s if you are in dive.

LEBillfish
08-15-2007, 08:30 AM
This is actually an "old" feature guys....Trouble is most of us never make it far enough to see, as in being that "assured points" not clearing the sky of the enemy is paramount to some.....No matter how hard you try to leave the fight, you'll get hammered on till wings off dead.

Yet I recall all of these be they a magneto shot out, throttle or prop pitch gone, loss of engine power, or the over rev condition DKoor speaks of. In fact, could even been as long as FB has been out.

x6BL_Brando
08-15-2007, 09:14 AM
Brando the above scenario would suite me fine

Indeed - and I agree with Deadmeat's expansion on that http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Perhaps the required switch is "No mechanical failures (except for enemy fire)". That would prevent the kind of scenario that I fantasised - except, as Billfish said, we might lose the element of surprise that FB has always had.
I can remember sitting on the ramp behind a slew of Sturmos and discovering that my lease-lend Hurri just would not start. I sat there, hearing a distinct clunk every time I thumbed the starter, but no way would the prop spin. Unfortunately there was no modelled ground crew to push my dud kite out of the line, so I bailed to clear a space, and the host restarted the mission and I got a good'un.

That was about 5 years ago and I've only seen this repeated a few times by other in years of on-line play. Maybe those fitters aren't as slack as I painted them http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

B.