PDA

View Full Version : Allied planes in the Pacific vs. the Western front

cueceleches
11-04-2004, 03:00 AM
Hi!

I was so used to fly all the typical planes in the western front, and know all their pros and cons, that I feel a little bit lost with all the new aircraft, especially the allied ones.

Could anyone enlighten me please? Are they usually B&Z planes or T&B??? I´m especially interested in the Corsair, Hellcat and Wildcat.

Thanks a lot!

cueceleches
11-04-2004, 03:00 AM
Hi!

I was so used to fly all the typical planes in the western front, and know all their pros and cons, that I feel a little bit lost with all the new aircraft, especially the allied ones.

Could anyone enlighten me please? Are they usually B&Z planes or T&B??? I´m especially interested in the Corsair, Hellcat and Wildcat.

Thanks a lot!

Blottogg
11-04-2004, 06:42 AM
From what everyone else here is posting, the US fighters are better B&Z types, as they were historically, though all of the flight models sound like they've had their stall characteristics dialed back a bit. Regardless, you should be better off in the US types keeping your speed up, and not engaging the Japanese fighters in slow-speed turn fights.

VW-IceFire
11-04-2004, 07:04 AM
If you get into a turn fight with most US planes you are still going to loose in a fight with a Zero or another manuverable plane.

I'd say the Hellcat is similar in many ways to the manuverability of the Spitfire or the 109. Its a rough comparison as the Hellcat was known as an extremely capable dogfighter...but that dogfighting would be done at 300 mph or better where it has a manuverability and turn advantage against the Zero (its prime opponent).

The Pacific Theater is very different I think from the European one. The balances of power and the capabilities of planes are very different instead of being somewhat similar.

cueceleches
11-04-2004, 09:23 AM
Thanks guys. The fact is that yesterday, I set up a QMB with myself in a Hellcat against two Zeros. I tried that 5 times and 5 times I got shot down rather easily...My skills in AEP were much better than that!!
The AI seemd rather challenging to me. It seemed as if one of the Zeros made me follow him meanwhile the other positioned itself at my 6 to shoot a me...I mean, I was so focused in the guy in front of me that I the zero behind really took profit from this...

XyZspineZyX
11-04-2004, 01:50 PM
The 'Cats and the Corsair were generally America's best dogfighters. But in the Pacific they were usually flown with energy tactics since the lighter Japanese aircraft had incomparable maneuverability.

My thinking is that the Corsair has enough lift, speed, climb, and accel that it can be flown as a hybrid in the European theater... either TB or BZ will work depending on your opponent.