PDA

View Full Version : Medic Qualification

Sgt_Hatcher
07-05-2006, 07:00 PM
Can anyone tell me whether the Medic qualification has any effect on fatigue? I understand that the Medic can heal wounded personnel, but does he decrease the time for fatigued persons to rejuvenate?

Kaleun1961
07-05-2006, 07:32 PM
None that I am aware of. His only function is to heal injured men. This is not an arcade game where you get powerups or some such mythical enhancement. Not meaning to imply an insult to you; just pointing out that the various functions in this game are approximated to reality; notwithstanding the unrealistic manner of the stock game's fatigue model. There are mods available to remedy this particular flaw of the original game.

Goose_Green
07-05-2006, 11:54 PM
More often than not having a medic doesn't make any difference either. From experience I have always lost crew members who were "too far gone" for medical assistance - I more often than not bury them at sea.

In fact on Type VII boats during the war the crew never had a qualified medic as there was no room for an extra crew member. More often the radio operator would be the best choice as he would be the only member of the crew that had the cleanest hands - as he was responsible with all the paper work on board the boat. He would normally have a basic understanding of first aid.

The only known cases of qualified medics on U-boats was on the larger and more spacious Type IX boats and especially on the U-Tankers too where there was more facilities for repair and medical attention. If u-boats did have a serious casualty and was stabalised they would meets up with any boat returning home or any of the supply boats that qualified doctors or medics on board.

hueywolf123
07-06-2006, 12:22 AM
up until very recently Australias subs never had qualified medics. The cook was also the medic and the barber.
Very wild west sounding

Goose_Green
07-06-2006, 11:10 AM
That's multitasking to the extreme - maybe the Aussie Navy should explain that to Microsoft?

Kaleun1961
07-06-2006, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by hueywolf123:
up until very recently Australias subs never had qualified medics. The cook was also the medic and the barber.
Very wild west sounding

In days of old the barber served as a type of doctor in the community. They were the practicioners of bloodletting; the red and white striped pole was the sign of their trade. Modern medicine muscled in on their turf so all they are left with is cutting hair.

The medic in SH3 is about as useful in the game as the barber was with his bloodletting. My men either live or die; I've never seen the medic make a difference. Perhaps someone else has?

Foehammer-1
07-06-2006, 04:15 PM
I had two crew members injured in 3 careers... The medic petty officer healed them completely.. I believe those guys make you lose renown. and if they are healed they won't be counted as wounded at base. And yes, I did get one Wound badge. Couldn't assign it tho http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif had to use Commander mod

hueywolf123
07-06-2006, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by Foehammer-1:
I had two crew members injured in 3 careers... The medic petty officer healed them completely.. I believe those guys make you lose renown. and if they are healed they won't be counted as wounded at base. And yes, I did get one Wound badge. Couldn't assign it tho http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif had to use Commander mod
Yeah, what is that bug? I've had that a few times now, where medals (not just wound badges) have been offered but they just will not go to the officer or PO you give it to. This is especially with the U-boat badge

Sgt_Hatcher
07-06-2006, 04:30 PM
Thanks to all for the answers. I thought that I read somewhere that the medic would assist in the crew's recovery from fatigue. I wasn't seeing that result in the game, that's why I asked. Now I know why..it isn't there.

For Kaleun 1961, I'm not sure how to take your response. You say that since SHIII is not an 'arcade' game that no such 'powerups' or 'mythical enhancements' are available. You imply that it is silly of me to even ask that such a feature be present in a game that 'approximates reality'.

From my perspective, for the medic to assist the crew in recovering from fatique does not seem that unrealistic at all in the scope of this game. After all, if you award a crewman with a 'German Cross in Gold', he is immune from the effects of fatigue and can stand on his station for the entire cruise without rest. Meaning for days or weeks or end. In fact, I have two officers in my current campaign whose 'resilience' is maxed out, therefore making them immune from fatigue, even without giving them the 'German Cross in Gold'. This, obviously, is not anywhere near reality.

Don't get me wrong. This is a cool game and some of the features may approximate reality, but only in a superficial sense. My opinion is that even when playing at 100% realism, this game only scratches the surface of 'realism' for a WWII sub simulation. As an example...all of the ballast, fuel, and trim tanks are automatically balanced for optimal performance. If you want to brag about realism, mastering manual torpedo targeting (which I have not done) is probably nothing comared to mastering the art of balancing the various tanks in the boat, especially when changing depth.

Sgt_Hatcher
07-06-2006, 04:34 PM
By the way, I have never been awarded the 'wound badge' so I cannot answer that question. However, I have noticed that is is difficult to 'grab' the 'U-Boat Badge' with the mouse to award it and at first thought that I could not give it to anyone. However, I did figure that problem out. Place the mouse point on the lower left portion of the award icon and you should be able to grab it reliably.

Kaleun1961
07-06-2006, 05:21 PM
Hatcher, good call on the effect of the German Cross. That had completely slipped my mind when I posted. You're right; that could certainly be called a mythical enhancement. As you pointed out, immunity to fatigue is nowhere near to reality. Unfortunately, since the game developers forgot to include a berth for the fifth officer, he has nowhere to sleep; thus the need for a medal workaround. Let's hope that the next game has that one figured out. As it stands, no fatigue mod with this current game is realistic. It's a limitation of the game's mechanics.

Others have pointed out some of the game's other flaws, such as not being able to give independant orders to both engines, i.e one forward and one reverse to execute advanced maneuvers.

I didn't mean to imply any silliness on your part for enquiring about the medic's effect on fatigue recovery. That's why I said, "Not meaning to imply an insult to you." I was just too aware of the fact that a good number of gamers come to this forum after playing other games and have similar expectations of this game. Unlike most games on the market, this one does attempt to make us play in a more realistic fashion, albeit in a flawed execution.
Some areas need reworking, such as the errors and omissions in regards to Coastal Command aircraft, absurd AA actions wherein some players in one patrol shoot down more aircraft than the entire U-waffe did in the whole war, unrealistic damages and repair times, etc. I assumed, and probably incorrectly for which I apologize, that you may have been another such player who tries this game and then has the wrong impression of what this game is about. Again, sorry if I offended you. Welcome aboard.

Sgt_Hatcher
07-06-2006, 06:08 PM
Thanks for the response Kaluen1961. I have played Silent Service, ShII, DC, and various other naval sim games over the years. they are all just simulations. Some are more realistic and more challenging, some are not. All of the good games achieve some feeling of realism, but only to a point.

Compared to the games that I mentioned above, this game is very good. VERY GOOD! It has some flaws and it has some limitations, but it is far better than the games before it. We can only hope that the games that follow this continue to improve.

Finally, with respect to the officer's berths, I agree that there is something wrong with a boat, such as a VIIB, that can hold five officers but only has berths for two. For my current campaign, I enlisted the maximum crew compliment for my VIIB, which I believe is 5 officers, 16 PO's, and 30 enlisted. The limit of two officer berths was a problem for me until until some of my officers became more resistant to fatigue (enhanced) due to awards, promotions, and experience.

However, at this point I am not going to let this spoil my fun since only one of my five officers is still suffering the effects of fatigue. But, you are right, until you progress far enough in your career to achieve mythical fatigue enhancement, you are playing musical chairs with five officers and two berths.

AdolphMeinhard
07-07-2006, 11:11 AM
I too have had injured crewmen healed by the medic- simply put the medic in quarters with the wounded crewman and wait for awhile.He will heal. Fatigue is not affected by the medic.