PDA

View Full Version : What makes a Pilot a Pilot

fiftycal1957
02-28-2005, 06:57 AM
What qualities must one have in order to be considered a good pilot.What do you want to see when you look out over your wing at the guy flying next to you protecting your six.I have had the great pleasure in the last week or so to be able to fly with a couple great pilots,they have been extremely helpfull and patient with my newbie flying style. But I have had my six waxed so many times I can hardly keep my trousers up. And this has caused me to wonder if I have what it takes to be a good pilot. I have flown many hours in other sims and am slightly overwhelmed with IL2 and it's realism. Allways a dream since I can remember to fly in WW2,but my learning curve is not keeping up with my expectations.So to the many great pilots in this game who know what I am asking and for any comments you might include here thank you in advance.

fiftycal1957
02-28-2005, 06:57 AM
What qualities must one have in order to be considered a good pilot.What do you want to see when you look out over your wing at the guy flying next to you protecting your six.I have had the great pleasure in the last week or so to be able to fly with a couple great pilots,they have been extremely helpfull and patient with my newbie flying style. But I have had my six waxed so many times I can hardly keep my trousers up. And this has caused me to wonder if I have what it takes to be a good pilot. I have flown many hours in other sims and am slightly overwhelmed with IL2 and it's realism. Allways a dream since I can remember to fly in WW2,but my learning curve is not keeping up with my expectations.So to the many great pilots in this game who know what I am asking and for any comments you might include here thank you in advance.

Bowman_61
02-28-2005, 07:53 AM
Practice, practice, practice.

Set-up offline missions against bombers then fighters starting with one-to-one at novice level and working upto multiple opponants at ace level, this will help with your gunnery.

SA (situalional awareness) no substitute for experience, get Team Speak, and listen in to some of the guys on the better servers i.e. Warclouds.

Be prepared to get shot down a lot, I'm a newbee online myself, after three solid weeks in Warclouds my survival time has increased from 30 sec to a couple of minuets, or even an entire engagement on a good night.

On a very, very good night I might even get a couple of shots off at an enemey aircraft. Realistically your first task is to learn to survive, shooting up opposing aircraft is a big bonous.

Altitude, altitude, altitude (you can never have too much).

Stick with one airplane and really learn to fly it.

Lots of luck

Bowman

fiftycal1957
02-28-2005, 11:15 AM
Bowmen_61 thanks for the advice. I know what you mean about lasting only a few seconds in a dog fight server.This is week three i guess for me in this sim so it can be a little agravating,but what a great sim.CLear skies, wish you the best of luck

FRAGAL
02-28-2005, 11:53 AM
Sit awareness is the biggest always look around, never fly in a straight line try and keep your altitude changing heading etc but don't whack the stick around like your trying to hammer a bent nail back into place that just looks stupid and youll probably put yourself into a spin.
Gunnery, set up a convergence you feel happy with say 270 on cannons and 240 MG's. (i always set cannons on a larger convergence than MG's don't ask me why but it works)
learn your plane - stall speed, rate of turn, top speed, best rate of climb, what damage it can take b4 it falls to bits, being able to judge when your about to run out of ammo
Keep your energy up, no point getting into a fight when you've only got 230 on the ASI (cept in the zeke 2's or 5's they love low speed fights http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_razz.gif )
and above all have patience don't just go steaming into a fight look at it first see wats going on, and pick your target.
S! good luck

GT182
02-28-2005, 01:13 PM
In layman's terms... an aircraft that stays in the air with "pilot" behind the controls. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Sorry, but I couldn't resist after reading voyager_663rd's "Having Fun" thread. I'm just a bored oldman, so take pitty on me please. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/11.gif

darkhorizon11
02-28-2005, 08:11 PM
In a word. Reflexes.

In two words. Reflexes and a sharp eye.

In three words. Reflexes, a sharp eye, and a crack shot.

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

heywooood
02-28-2005, 08:25 PM
hours...lots of hours in lots of types in his logbook...thats how you know by just one look.

fiftycal1957
02-28-2005, 09:56 PM
GT 182 darkhorizion and heywoood thanks for the replies and advice well spoken and appr.

F19_Ob
03-01-2005, 12:30 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by fiftycal1957:
What qualities must one have in order to be considered a good pilot.What do you want to see when you look out over your wing at the guy flying next to you protecting your six. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi fiftycal1957

There are several types of wingmen and styles of wingman tactics.

The classic and perhaps best known litterature-wingman is the one that does what his more skilled wingleader tells him to do and who remains in the background in a protecting role until he evolves and become experienced himself.

Personally I like a variation on the loose style that the Finns adopted. They prefered to fly in pairs like the Germans but both pilots were equal in duties and who was flying lead could shift during a flight.
He who first saw the enemy attacked regardless of position and the other followed.
What strikes me most when reading about the Finns is their almost total lack of ranks and military bossery in the air compared to most other countries although ranks was a fact on the ground. The only exeption was when managing large flights.
---------------------

In the sim I prefer to be the number two (or last if in a group) so I can monitor my wingmans moves better.
Unlike in real life, I stay behind to the right and slightly below my mate to get the best and biggest field of view. That way the guy infront can do some maneuvering without me losing sight of him as I would do if level with him.
The leader should often make wide slow turns on the way to target. partly to make it harder for a possible attacker to line up for a clear shot and also to look behind me the nr. two in the turns, wich is much easier and healthier than just wobbling around trying to spot the man behind or to the side.
This style with smooth movements allows not only Energy conservation that enables a shallow climb all the way to target (at good speed) it also is a way of communication. If I see my winglead break or do any other unexpected move I know we probably are bounced or that he spotted something closeby and didn't have time to inform me, and I can react acordingly.

I have flown with one wingman for several years now and we know eachother so well that we sense what to do in most situations and often manage when on the disadvantage.
One very interesting thing that evolves in close cooperation and communication is the ability to find eachother when separated in combat or gigantic furball.
Sane wingmantactics almost makes u invulnerable in highperformance fighters and is very fun in lowperformance planes, in wich u wouldnt normally survive alone.

Lately I have become to favor the protective role more and I highly enjoy when I manage to save my wingmens butts in tight spots. I'm very glad when my group returns home intact, especially so if we fly obsolete planes compared to the oposition.

I think new groupmembers should fly in the front sector of the formation so the other more experienced with the groups tactics can keep an eye easier wich allows the newbie to remain alive longer and thus naturally bond with his mates. This becaus even in a group we tend to stick to pairs in combat automatically and a neewbie last in the group may have an unnescessary hard time.

---------------------------------------

Some good guidelines

When flying wingie with someone U dont know well
its generally a good idea to quickly forgive and forget mistakes that your wingman do and avoid blaming of any kind.
Good communication and coordination comes with time and can never be expected even with another experienced pilot.

Its really better to see it as a loose cooperation in the beginning. U lend eachother support because u are part of the same team.

This is a good foundation for future sessions as I see it.

A few thoughts.

GAU-8
03-01-2005, 02:04 AM
short cropped hair, an attitude. and of course bubble gum...

fiftycal1957
03-01-2005, 06:07 AM
F19 exellent read you and your group from the sound of it must be pretty awesome in battle.Some exellent points and I greatly appr your taking time to include them here./GAU-8 man i must be doomed i don't do bubble gum.lol Again thank you to all for any and all advise recievied so far. Clear Skies to all

BSS_Goat
03-01-2005, 06:28 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GAU-8:
short cropped hair, an attitude. and of course bubble gum... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dont forget leather jackets, motorcycle and Raybans.

TgD Thunderbolt56
03-01-2005, 07:23 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BSS_Goat:
Dont forget leather jackets, motorcycle and Raybans. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Beat me to it Goat...I was gonna say a cool A2 jacket.

TB

fiftycal1957
03-01-2005, 07:38 AM
What about the Beautiful looking long legged woman who just happens to be maried to the base commander. I hate it when that happens!