PDA

View Full Version : Control Difficulties

Ishmael_Herman
04-08-2007, 11:33 AM
I am finding it extremely difficult to line up a firing solution in this game.

I am an old veteran of combat flight simulations so I understand the principles of deflection shooting, etc. My problem, I fear, may be joystick related (I have a very old Logitech Force stick). My experience is that, even the smallest joystick inputs seem to translate into wild, wide-ranging movements of the aircraft nose, making it almost impossible for me to get the enemy to stay inside the crosshairs.

I have two questions:
#1. Is this normal???
Other players seem able to line up firing solutions with a lot more ease than I do. Movies I have seen on YouTube of this game show a much smoother firing pattern than what I am able to achieve.

#2. Is there some setting I can put into the joystick curves that will improve my situation.

I have tried playing with the joystick curves but have not experienced an appreciable difference. Right now, my input curve is almost flat. The numbers I have are...

PITCH: 0 1 2 3 4 8 21 36 60 100
Deadband: 20
Filtering: 0.4

ROLL: 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 42 66 100
Filtering: 0.1

I suspect the filtering and deadband settings cause more trouble then good so I'll be experimenting with those again this afternoon.

Any help GREATLY appreciated!!!!

Ishmael_Herman
04-08-2007, 11:33 AM
I am finding it extremely difficult to line up a firing solution in this game.

I am an old veteran of combat flight simulations so I understand the principles of deflection shooting, etc. My problem, I fear, may be joystick related (I have a very old Logitech Force stick). My experience is that, even the smallest joystick inputs seem to translate into wild, wide-ranging movements of the aircraft nose, making it almost impossible for me to get the enemy to stay inside the crosshairs.

I have two questions:
#1. Is this normal???
Other players seem able to line up firing solutions with a lot more ease than I do. Movies I have seen on YouTube of this game show a much smoother firing pattern than what I am able to achieve.

#2. Is there some setting I can put into the joystick curves that will improve my situation.

I have tried playing with the joystick curves but have not experienced an appreciable difference. Right now, my input curve is almost flat. The numbers I have are...

PITCH: 0 1 2 3 4 8 21 36 60 100
Filtering: 0.4

ROLL: 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 42 66 100
Filtering: 0.1

I suspect the filtering and deadband settings cause more trouble then good so I'll be experimenting with those again this afternoon.

Any help GREATLY appreciated!!!!

DooDaH2007
04-08-2007, 11:52 AM
I had the same thing...

The folowing utility hepled me enormously:
http://mission4today.com/index.php?name=Downloads&file=details&id=1021

WWSpinDry
04-08-2007, 12:10 PM
And there's been some change in how the forces are interpreted in the sim. A "flat" curve now would actually be flat--all 50s, for example. Here are the settings from one of my squadmates, which work well for me also:

Rudder: 50 50 50 50 50 55 60 75 85 100
Pitch: 45 45 45 45 50 60 70 80 90 100
Aileron: All 100

badatit
04-08-2007, 12:39 PM
Alot of folks use 100's. All sliders maxed up, for all three axis's.
Myself included.

Ishmael_Herman
04-08-2007, 01:49 PM
You guys just saved this game for me!

I am amazed at the difference these settings made!!! I downloaded the program you suggested and went with a modified version of the numbers SpinDry gave me. I found that, maxed out at 100 however, the aileron control was just too sensitive. I made that match the my pitch settings and all was well!!!

Holy smokes! For years I played RB3D with crappy J-Stick settings. I thought I was just an awful shot! Now I see what a difference a good hardware setup can make. If only I had played with the sliders back then!

Makes me wonder how many people get turned off from flight sims all because they don't know how to set up their j-sticks correctly. I've been playing sims since I was 10 years old (back before the original Red Baron from Dynamix) and I've never known how to set my sliders! Never paid any attention to it before today!!

Oh my god.

ISHMAEL

DooDaH2007
04-08-2007, 07:42 PM
Your welcome http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Happy flying..!

Lurch1962
04-09-2007, 06:50 PM
Ishmael,
If your stick has decent (i.e., not "noisy") potentiometers, try a smaller dead band. I have all my dead band values set at 0 because I like crisp response. With any dead band setting, as I'm sure you know, there's a central zone where some stick deflection causes no in-game effect on the control surface. The problem with a dead band is that you go from no effect to a noticeable effect instantly. Most importantly in pitch (elevator), dead bands make fine adjustments for lining up a shot more difficult and maddeningly "twitchy."

While not quite as important, small or zero values for filtering allow for crisp response also. And again, try zero only if your stick has good, clean potentiometers.

--Lurch--