PDA

View Full Version : Myst V: End of Ages announced!

Deg__
01-11-2005, 10:45 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Tuesday 01.11.05 - Community News
SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT- MYST V: END OF AGES
Cyan Worlds and Ubisoft are proud to announce the next chapter of the Myst saga: Myst V: End of Ages, which will be the culmination of all of the previous storylines. Due to the tremendous loyalty and spirit of the Myst community, and our appreciation for your involvement through the years of development of the Myst series, we are making this announcement to you first, before the official Press Release. Myst V: End of Ages will be a new pinnacle, continuing the beauty, drama, creativity and challenge which have been the hallmarks of all Myst titles. We look forward to sharing this new journey with you in Fall of 2005. And be sure to check back here for upcoming announcements and information about Myst V: End of Ages. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://mystworlds.ubi.com/us/

Deg__
01-11-2005, 10:45 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Tuesday 01.11.05 - Community News
SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT- MYST V: END OF AGES
Cyan Worlds and Ubisoft are proud to announce the next chapter of the Myst saga: Myst V: End of Ages, which will be the culmination of all of the previous storylines. Due to the tremendous loyalty and spirit of the Myst community, and our appreciation for your involvement through the years of development of the Myst series, we are making this announcement to you first, before the official Press Release. Myst V: End of Ages will be a new pinnacle, continuing the beauty, drama, creativity and challenge which have been the hallmarks of all Myst titles. We look forward to sharing this new journey with you in Fall of 2005. And be sure to check back here for upcoming announcements and information about Myst V: End of Ages. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://mystworlds.ubi.com/us/

Reverend Vader
01-11-2005, 10:51 AM
I'm locking my previous post since it is NOW redundant.

Thank you very much, Deg. (Beat me by a least 10 seconds.)

One thing I want to point out, however: "...the culmination of all of the previous storylines."

Does this mean that Something Else is actually Myst V AND Uru II ?

Deg__
01-11-2005, 11:46 AM
I think it will be "the culmination of all of the previous storylines." It'll take place after Uru.

Cheers,
- Deg -

mszv
01-11-2005, 11:56 AM
Well it's a good thing we finally set up a forum for Something Else! I guess we'll have to change the name.

Mr Zebe D
01-11-2005, 01:45 PM
There's somewhat more info in the German posting. Myst V is the Myst finale. End of Ages means what it says. It's also 3D. There's nothing though as to whether it's single player or multiplayer.

Reverend Vader
01-11-2005, 02:25 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Deg__:
I think it will be "the culmination of all of the previous storylines." It'll take place after Uru.

Cheers,
- Deg - <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Makes sense to me.

Also, my understanding has been that they are using unreleased 3D content from Uru as the basis for the environments.

A very appropriate way to directly merge the Uru and Myst storylines. (And officially bring the Myst storyline from prerendered to realtime 3D?)

Mysthints
01-11-2005, 02:29 PM
I'm kinda hoping for single player...maybe the thing about "rebuilding D'ni" implies another try for Uru Live...dunno. Can't wait to find out... http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Tora_Neko
01-11-2005, 04:08 PM
The announcement says "the Myst saga", so wouldn't that be just the end of the 'history'; that is the Myst storylines before Uru? After all there is that 250 year gap...
And it would leave Uru open to expand in the future.

JadesDream
01-11-2005, 04:34 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif End of Ages? Does that mean the end of D'ni and the Myst series in general?

RaPhil
01-11-2005, 04:40 PM
I thought the whole idea of Uru was that it was not Myst....but if Myst V is a culmination of ALL previous storylines, then I guess that may include Uru too.

Mr Zebe D
01-11-2005, 05:13 PM
URU is part of the Myst franchise, set as it is in the same universe. Yes, therefore - no URU after Myst V. (The German website and its translation are the best sources of info. It was a German interview with Rand Miller after all).

Loridion
01-11-2005, 05:14 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tora_Neko:
The announcement says "the Myst saga", so wouldn't that be just the end of the 'history'; that is the Myst storylines _before_ Uru? After all there is that 250 year gap...
And it would leave Uru open to expand in the future. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I agree with Tora, since it's Myst V and not Uru II. It sounds like the culmination of all of the previous Myst storylines. Of course I may be wrong.

GadrenURU
01-11-2005, 05:28 PM
from the Lysts...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
On Jan 11, 2005, at 12:46 PM, klaamas@XXXXX wrote:

&gt;&gt; Though, after the demise of Uru Live ('worlds without end'), seeing
&gt;&gt; that the Myst/D'ni story will come to a halt is a bit more sad than
&gt;&gt; it would otherwise be.
&gt;
&gt; Don't get ahead of yourself. "Myst" may be ending, but that doesn't
&gt; mean D'ni and linking books are. Myst V will be the last *Myst*
&gt; game--the end of the story of Atrus' family (after all, how many times
&gt; can "The Stranger"
&gt; realistically have to save Atrus' neck? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif), but there's still
&gt; potential for more D'ni. Even if not through Uru, "worlds without"
&gt; end are still out

I hesitate to chime in on this. This is the fourth time I've started to respond to this thread, only to delete my reply without sending it.

But I wanted to say that K'laamas' point here is a good one.

I'll also point out that Cyan's slogan "You never know..." applies here as well as anywhere. For those keeping score at home, remember that Riven was "absolutely the final Myst game", and that Rand said he didn't ever want to play Atrus after Riven (and said that again after Myst III and said it yet again after Myst IV.) We meant those things at the time we said them, but things happen and time changes things.

With all that being said, after working on Myst related things for almost 13 straight years, frankly, I'm ready to try Something Elseā"ž¢.

:)

RAWA
___ _ __ _____ _______________________ _____ __________________ _____
/ /| Richard A. Watson /| mailto:rawa@XXXXX /|
_/ | D'ni Historian | http://www.cyan.com |
C Y A N _|/_ _______________________ _|/_ __________________ _|/_ <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Removed E-mail adresses. (Please check the Lysts guidelines about copying and pasting messages from the Lysts)

RaPhil
01-11-2005, 05:30 PM
lol Gadren - I just posted the same thing!!

Tora_Neko
01-12-2005, 05:13 PM
The End of Ages. But not the End of All Ages. I'm ready to try Something Else(tm) too... as long as they don't cut us off from the possibility of more of The Same. I WILL NOT GIVE UP HOPE!!!

Stedmister
01-13-2005, 11:00 AM
all I can say is, and every myst games states it, but "perhaps the ending has not been written", cyan is always changing there mind, yes it is true that there bringing Myst to a close but that doesn't mean the Myst univerise will close also. You never now, 6-7 years, they might say let's make another Myst game. Oh, and if it does die, the community never will.

larabuf
01-14-2005, 09:59 AM
I hope that I can play myst V on my laptop with S3 graphics Pro Savage Aspire 1310 AMD Athlon XP-M; because for me the whole Myst story ended by Myst III. I spend money on buying Uru, but I am not able to play, neither Myst IV which is very annoying and even makes me angry.