PDA

View Full Version : Night fighters?

Razman23
11-25-2004, 05:04 PM
Sure would be nice to have some 'flyable' night fighters.

Hint hint

Razman23
11-25-2004, 05:04 PM
Sure would be nice to have some 'flyable' night fighters.

Hint hint

Chuck_Older
11-25-2004, 05:22 PM
Well, the problem, if I recall, is the way the game engine works. It's not easy to model the needed equipment for a dedicated night fighter. Also, without exhaust stacks blowing sparks or glowing, finding your target at all might be very hard even with a well modelled WWII era air to air radar

Razman23
11-25-2004, 06:00 PM
Do you mean the 'wire nest' that you typically see on the front of the plane such as the 110?

I dont think we need to change much other than the front end of a plane and modify the interior to show the radar screen.

Unless I am missing something else?

Just some thinking.

TAGERT.
11-25-2004, 06:10 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Razman23:
Do you mean the 'wire nest' that you typically see on the front of the plane such as the 110?

I dont think we need to change much other than the front end of a plane and modify the interior to show the radar screen.

Unless I am missing something else?

Just some thinking. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Even if it was that easy... I think the current crop of game engines and associated PC hardware is not up to the task graphiclly to do night fighting justice.. As chuck alluded to.. at night the pilots would look for the exhast sparks/flash/glow once they got close.. Other sims did and do radar, but, that would be a major addition to the PF game engine that I belive Oleg has allready said aint going to happen. But, on the bright side, in just a few years I think the hardware and software of new games will be able to do it justice

Mozzie_21
11-25-2004, 10:29 PM
In general the dynamincs of behaviour of vision at low lighting levels are not well modeled in flight simulators. A lot of effort would have to go into understanding and modeling this aspect of flight simulation.

Waldo.Pepper
11-26-2004, 02:43 AM
I think that Oleg et al are up to the challenge. I just wish that they would do it, rather than not.

VVS-Manuc
11-26-2004, 02:55 AM
The all seeing AI will be an immersion killer for any FB/PF nightfighter-player

Razman23
11-26-2004, 06:43 AM
OIC.

Thats too bad.

I would think that having a night fighter addition to IL/PF would carry the game into a more complete sim.

Not only by having the 110, 262, and the unique "Arrow" along with the P63 "Black Widow" might have made the game a blast.

I dont recall if Russia had night fighter capibilites.

Snootles
11-26-2004, 08:52 AM
It might just be me fantasizing, but I remember hearing somewhere Oleg would be up to the task of doing a P-61 if people could gather enough data. It's true, I really want to take some old radars into combat. The Beaufighter TF.Mk. X, for instance...

Aaron_GT
11-26-2004, 12:08 PM
" but I remember hearing somewhere Oleg would be up to the task of doing a P-61 if people could gather enough data."

The P-61 was mostly used as a night intruder. It did some night fighting sorties, but night intruder sorties outnumbered these considerably. It my be that Oleg was considering modelling the P-61 just for the intruder missions with no working radar setup.