PDA

View Full Version : Setting Trim - Rudder/Pitch

stanner1935
12-26-2004, 07:22 PM
When setting rudder or pitch trim, do you TOGGLE
the applicable keys, or just HOLD THEM DOWN?

I have the following keys assigned:
1. , = left rudder
2. . = right rudder
3. / = neutral rudder
4. up arrow = negative elevator
5. down arrow = positive elevator
6. Ctrl+up arrow - neutral elevator

The second question I have is when I apply negative elevator, I get a positive pitch, that is the aircraft begins to climb, and vise versa.
I thought it would be the opposite. That negative elevator meant the pitch angle would be reduced and the plane would lose altitude.

Thanks
Stanner

stanner1935
12-26-2004, 07:22 PM
When setting rudder or pitch trim, do you TOGGLE
the applicable keys, or just HOLD THEM DOWN?

I have the following keys assigned:
1. , = left rudder
2. . = right rudder
3. / = neutral rudder
4. up arrow = negative elevator
5. down arrow = positive elevator
6. Ctrl+up arrow - neutral elevator

The second question I have is when I apply negative elevator, I get a positive pitch, that is the aircraft begins to climb, and vise versa.
I thought it would be the opposite. That negative elevator meant the pitch angle would be reduced and the plane would lose altitude.

Thanks
Stanner

civildog
12-26-2004, 07:56 PM
You keep tapping the key you want until the plane is trimmed.

It simulates rotations of a wheel, which is what is used on a real plane so each keystroke is like a rotation or fraction of.

And yes, it is in the opposite direction.

Each plane has different trim settings for it as various altitudes, fuel and ammo weights, throttle settings, wind direction, damage levels, etc. It gets complicated but there's hope:

Don't worry about aileron and rudder trim. You don't need to mess with those unless damage is done to those controls surfaces, or there's terrible wind shear, and trimming them helpes counter the effects of the damage.

Elevator trim is what you need 99.9% of the time. I climb to altitude and set the throttle to 100. Then when the plane settles down after a minute or so it pitches up. I hold the stick forward until the nose is level then hit ctrl-up arrow as I gradually ease the stick back.

When the plane settles to level flight and my hand is off the stick the elevators are trimmed for 100%. Then I throttle down to 70% and head for the action. The trim settings on the planes I fly (Cobras, Yaks, P-40's, Mustangs) are not so wide between 70-100% as on some planes so I can live with a slightly "up" pitch. Then when I throttle up to 90% or more in a fight I don't have to mess with the trim.

Lately I have taken to tapping the trim down key once or twice before the fight, though to have a natural pitch up. That way if I'm diving and take damage to my controls (or even level flight) the plane naturally wants to pitch up. Gives me a few seconds extra time to bail. Rela pilots did it.

Each plane is a little different so just play around with it. Trimming the elevators makes the plane react faster and act as a more stable firing platorm so it's worth learning how to do it in the planes you like to use.

Good luck!