PDA

View Full Version : Tilting Aircraft for Better View

Chris0382
09-29-2011, 01:57 PM
A lot of times when the enemy is below me, I tilt the aircraft left or right or even nose down to get a visual on the subject.

Did real pilots also have to tilt their aircraft to get views from below?

Thanks

Chris

horseback
09-29-2011, 02:02 PM
Yes, but they had to do it a lot less often, since they had stereoscopic vision and the ability to move their heads forward and back as well as to the sides of the cockpit, which the stock game does not permit.

cheers

horseback

TipsyTed
09-29-2011, 03:36 PM
Half roll and flying inverted for a couple of seconds to check lower half sphere is one of my most often performed maneouvers in IL-2 when flying a fighter.

Luno13
09-29-2011, 04:52 PM
In short yes, "tilting" the aircraft is necessary in real life. This is called a "clearing turn". A pilot uses this to check under the wings, and to better check the rear quarter.

On a plane with a solid rear bulkhead, I kick the rudder a bit to one side, and correct with opposite aileron. This allows the plane to skid through the air without changing course.

Flying inverted for any length of time wasn't often practiced because oil would drain away from where it should be. If I remember correctly, flying upside-down in a P-38 for more than 7 seconds could cause the engines to seize.

Treetop64
10-02-2011, 08:28 AM
Yup. What Luno said.

Go flying with anyone using a high-wing Cessna or similar model and you'll note that before turning right, they'll call out and briefly roll left to clear the turn to the right.

Or at least they should.

Bremspropeller
10-03-2011, 11:37 AM
Did real pilots also have to tilt their aircraft to get views from below?

Yes.

This is also a reason, why "battle formations" such as the spread-out finger-four were developed.

It gives you not only more space and time for prolnged watch-outs and scanning (...while trying to not bump the other guy) - it also gives you more freedom for mutual support.

The mutual-support thingy is why tactical formations of today are spread-out to about one nautical-mile in-between the individual aircraft.