PDA

View Full Version : problme wiht torpedo pistol

mastergas
10-06-2006, 10:10 PM
i cant seem to get magnetic pistol to work on the topedoes i took off the dud feature but the still dont go off can someone help plz

tuddley3
10-06-2006, 11:07 PM
I'd like to know also. They bounce off just long enough for the ship to pass, then explode. Plus they would have sunk deep enough not to harm ship anyway.

TooFastForLove.
10-06-2006, 11:14 PM
Hmmm, well just a couple of points. I don't like to state the obvious but make sure the pistol is set to magnetic and not impact. The other thing I'll point out is that a sever angle hit seems to disable the torpedo. Even if you hit close to 90 degrees to the ships bearing the curve near the bottom of the hull is still a signifigant angle. Set the depth to apporximantly 1m below the ships hull. In heavy seas the bobbing up and down of the ship may cause the torpedo to hit the curvature. I only use impacts in heavy seas.

lecek
10-07-2006, 12:21 AM
Just to be clear, TooFastForLove is right but note that he said BELOW the ships hull.

Magnetic torpedos do not actually hit the ship. They pass underneath and detect the ship magnetically.

tuddley3
10-07-2006, 02:12 AM
Oh OK. That makes sense now. Thats why the torps explode once they bounce off and start to sink a bit. Guess I better pay more attention to the Rec Manual for hull depth.

Thanks mastergas for asking the question, even I learned something. I normally keep it set at Magnetic, and hardly use Impact(boy am I stupid). I bet my kill ratio just went up a bit.

mastergas
10-07-2006, 08:18 AM
thx i hope this helps me in my hunting. i think i was setting them a bit to low at 3 to 4 meater

tuddley3
10-07-2006, 10:14 AM
Hey Kaleun mastergas, what was that Web Address for the comic strip, that stuff is hilarious. And I always laugh every time I see your avatar. I've always thought the White Ninja looked like a condom http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

Realjambo
10-07-2006, 10:19 AM
Personally, I always set Magnetic torps for one metre only below the hull - works for me.

3.JG51_Molders
10-07-2006, 05:08 PM
I use magnetic shots only if the angle on bow is less than 50 degrees or greater than 125 degrees. I look at the recognition manual to find the keel depth of the ship (say I look up a Tribal destroyer with 3.8m keel, I would set depth of the torpedo to 5 metres to allow it to pass just under the keel. Realjambo is right when he says set it for roughly one meter below the keel, any deeper and the torpedo might not go off and simply pass underneath. You also have to factor where you are in the SH3 world. If your up north or on the equator, you run a high risk of prematuring torpedos. The wave action of the sea also contributes to many premature detonations. Hence why I always do my best to get a good perpendicular shot with impact pistol.

Bootsmann0815
10-07-2006, 08:50 PM
Also it's worth noting that in the early war Magnetic pistols were unreliable, which is modelled into the game (for stock it's about until mid-1940 - after the Norwegian campaign); not sure how this is affected by the supermods as for quite some time now I have exclusively used Impact pistol. To my mind it doesnt matter whether I need several torpedos impacting before the target goes down, or whether I have to accept several magnetic misses before I get that elusive keel-breaking one-torpedo kill.

mastergas
10-07-2006, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by tuddley3:
Hey Kaleun mastergas, what was that Web Address for the comic strip, that stuff is hilarious. And I always laugh every time I see your avatar. I've always thought the White Ninja looked like a condom http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

here you are http://www.whiteninjacomics.com/comics/braggart.shtml

i got some other stuff that just as helarious if you want it