PDA

View Full Version : SALUTE TO AMERICA'S ARMED FORCES: TUSKEGEE AIRMEN OF WWII

rssmps
05-01-2006, 10:43 AM
If you're in Seattle or plan on being there over Memorial weekend, this might interest you.

----------------------------------------------

MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND: SALUTE TO AMERICA'S ARMED FORCES: TUSKEGEE AIRMEN OF WWII

When
May 27-28, 2006, 2 €" 3:30pm

Notes
The Museum honors those who have given their lives in the service of their country through three days of special programs over Memorial Day Weekend. This year, Memorial Day Weekend programs are dedicated to heroism and valor of the Tuskegee Airmen of World War II, the first African-American military pilots. Four Tuskegee Airmen will share their experiences of serving their country: Lt. Col. Howard Baugh, USAF (Ret.), flew 135 combat missions; Lt. Col. Robert Ashby, USAF (Ret.). serving in Japan, Korea and England; Capt. Claude Platte, USAF (Ret.), was the first African-American officer to be trained and commissioned in the newly reopened Air Force pilot training program at Randolph Field Air Force Base in Texas; and Roscoe D. Draper, employed by the Tuskegee Institute as a civilian flight instructor for the Army Air Corps to teach flight and ground school courses from 1942 to 1945.

Event is free with Museum admission.

Crash_Moses
05-01-2006, 10:52 AM
Oh man, that would be awesome!

My company has a factory near there...maybe I can schedule a business trip...hmmm....

Fork-N-spoon
05-01-2006, 03:43 PM
I'm a 41 year old college student in the United States. In Sociology class we had to write a paper for "Black History month," February. I wrote a paper on the Tuskegee Airmen. Nobody even knew who they were... Not even the African-American students.

This shows my ignorance to the rest of my country. Since I've known about the Tuskegee Airmen since the mid-1970s, I figured that what these men did was well known. I think it would be great to meet some of these survivors, but sadly I'm a poor college student.

Bearcat99
05-01-2006, 05:10 PM
I was just with Baugh 6 weeks ago.... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

Dew-Claw
05-01-2006, 10:42 PM
Nobody even knew who they were... Not even the African-American students.

That is a crying shame
I think a lot more time is needed spent teaching on the history of both World Wars.
The most dramatic changes to this world happened during the first 50 years of last century it's a shame its hidden like a shameful family secret.

Esel1964
05-01-2006, 11:10 PM
Wow!That's alot of fine men in on place,at one time.Gatherings like this are disappearing all too fast,which opens our eyes to the fact that we're losing our history-the men who were there---Regardless of who,where,or what they did in WW2(other than genocidal butchers)the 'honorable'-regardless of nationality- are vanishing at an astonishing rate.
I realize that's what lots of birthdays does for us,but,it makes me sad and mad at myself,that I didn't ask many more questions of relatives who were there.

When you're mature enough to realize they've seen things we may never imagine,in many cases it's too late;either they're gone physically,or they may be gone mentally.

Many of the most honorable men of modern times,have slipped away from us without any thanks for their service,or any tapping of their memory,the pictures that must be etched so vividly into their minds would make the black & white footage we see of WW2,look like a weekend picnic.
God Bless 'em all.