PDA

View Full Version : New maps at Skies of Valour

jamesblonde1979
12-14-2009, 04:12 PM
Just a heads up for you guys.

Last night Skies of Valour started running eleven new maps including several totally original maps and some rehashes of old favourites.

Mud movers will be especially interested in a lot of these objective based maps and will find detaioled and superbly presented recon photo's on the skies of fire website.

http://www.skiesoffire.org/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=26

Having played a few of these maps last night I can highly recommend them to anybody who would like to take a bit of a break from full switch flying but prefers historical planesets and challenging missions.

Hope to see some of you guys in there.

Edit: Version is 4.08m, mods are ok.

Choctaw111
12-14-2009, 04:27 PM
I haven't been on HL for over a year.
What kind of difficulty settings does this server use?
I hope it's full switch.

AndyJWest
12-14-2009, 04:33 PM
Version is 4.08m, mods are ok.

If they have gone to all the trouble of installing new maps, why are they still using 4.08m?

ROXunreal
12-14-2009, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by Choctaw111:
I haven't been on HL for over a year.
I hope it's full switch.

It has externals but not open cockpit.

jamesblonde1979
12-14-2009, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by AndyJWest:

If they have gone to all the trouble of installing new maps, why are they still using 4.08m?

To keeps the server fresh and populated, They're a fun bunch Andy, check it out some time. FS does plan to upgrade to 4.09 in January. I guess it seemed wise to wait and see how the mod situation resolved itself. HSFX 4.1 will be the new version. (IMO HSFX 4.1 will become the new hyperlobby standard version)

Originally posted by The Chockster:

CEM and closed pit but with icons and externals. The externals bug me but abstaining from using therm against guys who do makes for a fun challenge. It's a good mix of objective based immersion with a lower skill requirement and ideal for pudknockers like me who are still learning the ropes.

waffen-79
12-15-2009, 02:15 AM
HSFX 4.1 will be the new version. (IMO HSFX 4.1 will become the new hyperlobby standard version)

sig material right there mate, HSFX 4.1 is awesome in all accounts

I totally recommend Skies of Valor, that server and Spit vs 109's are my primary choices in HL, apart from the rare sorties on UK-Ded and coops

But I wish they move to 409(hsfx41) right now, as a popular server it could help speed up the transition for everyone else

Spit vs 109 4.09m b1 AAA UI 1.2
Skies of Valor 4.08m mod enabled (UI or UP)

sigh...I wish they turn to HSFX this week

skarden
12-15-2009, 05:20 AM
Ah now this is great news http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif A great server imho,I fly there most of the time atm as I can't go into my other fav spits vs 109s mods as I've got a corrupt download of 1.2 and can't get past the CRT check.I'm not going to waste my download limit looking for a d/l that isn't corrupt,I wish they'd just switch to HSFX 4.1 to be honest http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Anyhow! SOV is a great server for those who haven't been on there yet,its got fairly tight icons which is nice and while I'd personally love to see the externals turned off its still a damm fun server with great maps with plenty of good fun to be had http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

cheers for the heads up jimmy and I'll see ya there this weekend http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

p.s. Im with you too Waffen,I'd love to see it finally switch to 4.09 with HSFX 4.1 too,I'd be as happy as a pig in the brownstuff,hopefully it'll be in early jan and not later http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif

Urufu_Shinjiro
12-15-2009, 04:29 PM
Ditto the wishes for an HSFX move ASAP. Can't wait for that, SoV is indeed a great server for those who don't have the time for those full switch sorties where the map changes before you ever see a bogie...

waffen-79
12-15-2009, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by Urufu_Shinjiro:
Ditto the wishes for an HSFX move ASAP. Can't wait for that, SoV is indeed a great server for those who don't have the time for those full switch sorties where the map changes before you ever see a bogie...

exactly my thoughts lol

but when all your squad mates are flying in Spits vs 109, what I'm going to do, I have to support them http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/shady.gif

Billy_DeLyon
12-17-2009, 12:12 AM
Originally posted by jamesblonde1979:
The externals bug me but abstaining from using therm against guys who do makes for a fun challenge.

Agreed.

Wish they'd lock the pit. I guess that would most likely drive more people away than it would attract... but maybe not, given that I'm the third to express the sentiment in this short thread...

BillSwagger
12-17-2009, 03:13 AM
I've been enjoying some of the newer maps, as well as some of the old.

I actually prefer closed pit/full real, but I also like playing on populated servers. Open pit servers always have this in their favor. Having SoV the way it is seems to attract more players into trying out a closed pit enviornment, and maybe not as difficult for some as using full pit settings.

Nothing wrong with variety, either, the more servers the better, but with all the servers there are many that are empty.

In short, the settings are the way they are because they work and attract players.

Bill

Jabout
12-17-2009, 03:17 AM
SOV - I agree it's a big plus that you can find a bogey before the map changes or you run out of free time, I try others, but it's the server I keep going back to.

Would they ever consider a trial period of locking the pit and having a vote afterwards to see if they stick with a locked pit or not?

Looking forward to HSFX.

jamesblonde1979
12-17-2009, 04:52 AM
It is possible, depending on the capabilities of Zuti's MDS,that enemy externals may be switched off in future on SoV.

I'm not confirming that it will be but I have heard it discussed as a popular idea.

Frankly I too would like to see them go, having the labels on for enemy aircraft is enough IMO and having to constantly scan the sky instead of pressing F6 every few seconds is much more immersive. It breeds more alert and competent pilots.

Urufu_Shinjiro
12-17-2009, 11:38 AM
It is possible, depending on the capabilities of Zuti's MDS,that enemy externals may be switched off in future on SoV.

I'm not confirming that it will be but I have heard it discussed as a popular idea.

Frankly I too would like to see them go, having the labels on for enemy aircraft is enough IMO and having to constantly scan the sky instead of pressing F6 every few seconds is much more immersive. It breeds more alert and competent pilots.

Oh I hope they go that route. I had forgotten that there was indeed a mod to control external views, like no externals until dead/ejected, or probably best for SoV no enemy externals, etc.

MD_Titus
12-17-2009, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by Billy_DeLyon:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jamesblonde1979:
The externals bug me but abstaining from using therm against guys who do makes for a fun challenge.

Agreed.

Wish they'd lock the pit. I guess that would most likely drive more people away than it would attract... but maybe not, given that I'm the third to express the sentiment in this short thread... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

aye, but that's only in this thread, and there are tonnes who use that server because of the settings. always pretty full, and only one of two large-ish capacity servers with those settings that i know of - ukdedicated 2 being the other. were they to disable the external enemy view that would be pretty good though. no more long range padlocks and bomber pilots would get rewarded for a long route to target by not being bounced by 4 fighters...

jamesblonde1979
12-17-2009, 06:22 PM
I'll keep you posted guys. It's great to see the interest here.

megalopsuche
12-21-2009, 07:56 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by The Chockster:

CEM and closed pit but with icons and externals. The externals bug me but abstaining from using therm against guys who do makes for a fun challenge. It's a good mix of objective based immersion with a lower eyesight requirement and ideal for pudknockers like me who are still learning the ropes. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Fixed.

No externals would be nice, but the SoV admins have stated many times that externals are tied to their ability to police the server.

Lastly, many of you seem to be conflating "open/closed pit" with external views. SoV is closed pit with externals.