PDA

View Full Version : Creaking Hull

madmunson
05-19-2006, 02:28 PM
When I am sat submerged and in silence, my hull on occasion, starts creaking. Can the enemy above pick this noise up ?

HeibgesU999
05-19-2006, 02:45 PM
No, the enemy cannot hear you, but once it starts to creak, it lets you know that you are getting pretty deep, and might not want to go much deeper.

Once small leaks start, you want to try to get to a lesser detpth in a hurry.

Sabastian_Healy
05-19-2006, 04:47 PM
and dont time compress to +32 either {boom- sunk in a heart beat}

blastomatic1759
05-19-2006, 09:44 PM
wait until your running at full time compression on the surface , and you do something stupid like hit the depth gauge , and the needle sinks down into the red with a super quickness , you dont hear no creaking , groaning or anything , just sunk.

lecek
05-20-2006, 01:54 AM
With stock 1.4b game, you can not accidentally die from diving at 1024 compression. At least not normally.

Once you reach 160 meters the game TC slows to 1x. And again at 180. So unless you are in a type II, in shallow water, or damaged you can safly hit 'd' at 1024.

The hull starts creaking as soon as you pass periscope depth. The nature of the creaks change as you go deeper. AFIK the creaks don't get louder as you near crush depth per say, but get louder as you get deeper. The difference? If you have a damaged U-boat that can't dive to 50 meters depth you still hear 50 meter depth creaking not the louder creaking you expect.

I don't know for sure if this is the case but I would warn against using the creaks as a measure of how close you are to crushing. You can't trust it.

hueywolf123
05-23-2006, 03:37 PM
I think basically, rule of common sense applies.
If you've taken a previous pounding and your damage control team were called upon to repair things you must take into account what work was done, ie, watch what they are doing.
If they repaired pumps, engines radios etc, then dive as per normal.If they had to control flooding, repair hull integrity, then you could be in trouble and perhaps shouldn't trust anything deeper than 20m or so.
The creaking, although in the game the AI ships can't hear you, in reality they could if the DD with the sonar sat still. Working in three's, one DD would sit while the other two would cross each others course on a zig-zag pattern. Each sound or possible contact was relayed to them and course adjusted accordingly. One of the others would then stop, take up sonar duties and the previous still DD would take his place. Why? Well this then gave a triangulation of sorts as they could then plot intersecting lines to the contact and pin-point the boat.
When they all took turns at sonar in frequent rotation, chances of the boat escaping were almost nil
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif