PDA

View Full Version : More Newb questions please forgive...

pmckelvy
01-20-2005, 09:15 PM
Hey Guys,
Sorry if these are total newb questions but I'm not a pilot and I'm trying to improve my skills before I go online and look like an a$$.

1. I understand trim but, when actually dogfighting is a good pilot constantly adjusting trim to increase performance or should I not worry about it and just get good position. I think I'm getting good at getting on the AI's six but I just wonder if I could be doing something a bit better.

2. When flying offline what is a good time to know when I can come meet you grognards adn not be an embarassment. 2 or 3 kills a mission? It's not so much a pride thing as much as I'd like to join a suadron and not take up someone's time answering questions and skills I should already know. But I would love to know some more tricks/tips on dogfighting and/or being a good wingman.

3. When I merge PF with FB+aep I get a noticable chug at low alt but if I install sep I can run FB at the best possible settings and PF at almost best and both run fine. New drivers make it worse. Is this normal. Without technical info I know this is a general question but just wondering if this is a common prob. I'll upgrade to more than a gig RAM when I can but I have to kids and, well... you guys know.

So anyway guys thanks in advance because I know you guys are helpfull. Any advice on the performace issues of the various patches would be helpfull to as well, as I'm skitish on downloading them yet as the game is great now and I don't want to degrade it.

Mac

pmckelvy
01-20-2005, 09:15 PM
Hey Guys,
Sorry if these are total newb questions but I'm not a pilot and I'm trying to improve my skills before I go online and look like an a$$.

1. I understand trim but, when actually dogfighting is a good pilot constantly adjusting trim to increase performance or should I not worry about it and just get good position. I think I'm getting good at getting on the AI's six but I just wonder if I could be doing something a bit better.

2. When flying offline what is a good time to know when I can come meet you grognards adn not be an embarassment. 2 or 3 kills a mission? It's not so much a pride thing as much as I'd like to join a suadron and not take up someone's time answering questions and skills I should already know. But I would love to know some more tricks/tips on dogfighting and/or being a good wingman.

3. When I merge PF with FB+aep I get a noticable chug at low alt but if I install sep I can run FB at the best possible settings and PF at almost best and both run fine. New drivers make it worse. Is this normal. Without technical info I know this is a general question but just wondering if this is a common prob. I'll upgrade to more than a gig RAM when I can but I have to kids and, well... you guys know.

So anyway guys thanks in advance because I know you guys are helpfull. Any advice on the performace issues of the various patches would be helpfull to as well, as I'm skitish on downloading them yet as the game is great now and I don't want to degrade it.

Mac

WTE_Galway
01-20-2005, 09:48 PM
1. Trim is essential in the game for shooting if you use a "soft" profile with a deadzone in the centre (like the "oleg" profile) .. otherwise its not near as critical.

2. Actually just join a squad and let them train you. You will learn heaps more far faster that way.

3. This is more a community help question

pmckelvy
01-20-2005, 11:34 PM
Thanks for the response, I'll be looking for a squadron in the next few days.

civildog
01-20-2005, 11:44 PM
You can Private Topic me any time...always ready to help a new guy.

TX-Zen
01-21-2005, 06:25 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by pmckelvy:

Mac <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

&lt;S&gt; Mac and welcome to the forums. Online play is very different than offline, so if you're intending to fly online anyway then my advice is to come online sooner rather than later. It sounds like you've mastered basic flying skills offline, so probably the best thing to do is to just hop online and have at it. There you will meet a variety of pilots and squads and will be able to ask questions. Most people are very willing to help out so you shouldn't have any trouble finding answers.

There are a lot of squads online and most of them are also very helpful to new players, I think for the most part we all remember when we were new to the game and are glad to share our collecctive experience.

Goodluck and don't hesitate to ask questions here, we have a good community that will give you a variety of viewpoints to consider.

Stop by TX Squadron sometime, we have a public TeamSpeak server and you are welcome to come on comms with us.

&lt;S!&gt;

pmckelvy
01-21-2005, 07:43 AM
Thanks again guys I'll jump on next week and give it a go.

FlatSpinMan
01-21-2005, 08:00 AM
By the way, if you do jump online you WILL need to be patched up to the latest as almost all servers (except Troll2k-204) run the latest patches and you won't be able to connect without them. I was kind of annoyed at this too as in ver3.02(I think) I could see enemy aircraft quite easily with icons off s the dots were large but in 3.04 the dots were made smaller to please those who complained it made things less realistic. Personally i like seeing the enemy.
Also, download and install Hyperlobby. It's the easiest way to connect to online servers.

Have fun.

reddevil49
01-21-2005, 09:42 AM
I'm no expert, far from it. I've been playing for almost two years and still get wasted by the AI. I fly the 190A4 most of the time and this is what I have discoverd. Set prop pitch to manual and and leave it that way. Increase pitch to 100 percent. Open the rad all the way and leave it open for take off ,climb out and cruies. I add a little down trim while climbing and try to stay around 310 to 340 KPH for climb out. Doing this I have found it quite easy to cath up to the formation and if not careful pass them. After altitude is reached drop prop pith down to 80 to 85 percent and power in between 50 to 53 percent. This should give you a cruies speed between 340 to 350 KPH. I have found this speed to be just about spot on when flying in formation with AI wingmen and very little trim is needed for level flight. When entering combat close the rad to 2 and leave it there. Increase prop pitch between 90 to 95 percent and power to 90 to 93 percent. This way I have found that the engine will never over heat and still leave you that extra power when you need it. I trim the plane as I need to in combat, as I find that I am constantly changing the trim in a dogfight. So not too much help there. I only use the combat flaps to help me zoom climb and only for a brief time. Keep your speed up and try not to get below 400 KPH. This is what I have found that helps me so give it a try and see what you think.

Tully__
01-21-2005, 04:20 PM
1. It's up to you to some extent, but I'd suggest at first setting up trim for a fraction higher than your average combat speed and leaving it. As you become more familiar with different types of fight or changes in conditions you'll find yourself trimming at appropriate times to compensate witout even thinking about it. As an example, entering a high altitude high speed fight you may be trimmed for 400+km/h when entering the fight. As the fight evolves into a lower altitude fight with a fair bit of turning (as many prolonged fights tend to do) you may wish to trim for a lower speed.

2. If you can take off, land and hit a target, don't wait to go online. The AI as opponents will be teaching you habits that'll get you killed online. It's best to learn your advanced skills against humans and most squads worth your time recongnise that and will be patient. There's no need to join a squad immediately anyway, there're many online flyers who're between squads or just aren't able to make the time commitment that "squadron life" tends to require.

Wildcat_zero
01-21-2005, 07:03 PM
Hi

I stopped playing online because of the lack of team spirit. Often I be on someones six and I get roasted because one of my teammates is off shootin his own plane down. I got so fed up with it that I decided to take a break from online. I find off line play more realistic, meaning its more of a team based game, where i u shout of for help, generally all ur mates will come screaming for u. Even the wingman will try to help, it does not always work but its bettter than online. Off line can help u with ur fomationn flying, and gunnery and attacking bombers. I have learn many times never to attack bombers from the direct six or u get fried, its above and under for me. Online u see many player attacking from the direct 6 and get wasted by the ai guners of the bombers and they shout out man them gunners are too good. Its not the gunners are good, its them presenting themselve as a cool target.

I say go online but ur on ur own most of the time. Of course if u find a good squadron then ur set but these are very rare. I hope u get lucky and have good fun. Try them both