PDA

View Full Version : How to take off from carrier???

Martin_078
01-28-2005, 06:10 PM
Hi all, I just got this game today and have trouble taking off the carrier. I opened the cockpit, droped flaps, turned engine on, 100% throttle and the plane won't move. When I press to release the wheel brake by pressing the default "B" key it doesn't do nothing.
What am I doing wrong?

Martin_078
01-28-2005, 06:10 PM
Hi all, I just got this game today and have trouble taking off the carrier. I opened the cockpit, droped flaps, turned engine on, 100% throttle and the plane won't move. When I press to release the wheel brake by pressing the default "B" key it doesn't do nothing.
What am I doing wrong?

Zyzbot
01-28-2005, 06:13 PM
did you release the chocks?

Martin_078
01-28-2005, 06:15 PM
no, the training mission didn't say much about that, what are choks anyways?

Smidlee
01-28-2005, 06:26 PM
you have to assign a key to release chokes.

Zyzbot
01-28-2005, 06:38 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Martin_078:
no, the training mission didn't say much about that, what are choks anyways? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wheel chocks. They are blocks placed in front the wheels to keep the plane from moving when you don't want it to.

Martin_078
01-28-2005, 06:58 PM
Ok got it, how dumb could I be. I got it going but I never make it into the air, I plunge into the sea. I get the engine into 110%, flaps take off, canope open, elevators trim up a little, and chokes off. I can't make it to the air, what should I do. I don't use wheel brake, b button has no effect, so chokes is my last thing before the plane moves once I get it to 110% throttle. I assume that is ok. Thanks guys.

Raider010
01-28-2005, 07:07 PM
You're ok about your take-off run, but with the current 'realistic' flight model, it's all about timing. When you hit the end of the deck, you have to raise gear, and go Landing flaps as quickly as you can, ride the stall envelope untill you see a gain in altitude, then draw flaps in one stage at a time. Canopy open or closed does not matter.

SlickStick
01-28-2005, 07:32 PM
When I first spawn on a carrier, I immediately release chocks first, let the plane settle and then re-engage them. There is a strange bounce that happens when just spooling up and releasing chocks once, right at take-off.

Then:

- I set landing flaps

- Trim rudder 10-15 clicks in the direction of prop rotation for the plane I'm flying, if so equipped.

- Trim full nose down to help the tail wheel get off the ground quickly upon chock release.

- Run throttle to full with WEP engaged, if so equipped.

- I give the engine a few seconds to get to full RPMs and the prop speed to come up.

- Release chocks.

- As soon as the tail wheel raises, I trim full nose up and use rudder to keep plane straight going down the carrier.

- Right at end of carrier, I pull back gently, clear the deck and immediately raise gear, leaving flaps full down for a few more seconds to ensure clearing the water.

- Raise flaps and go kill some bogeys.

Maybe this will work for you. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Aero_Shodanjo
01-28-2005, 08:57 PM
Click here: http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=400102&f=26310365&m=4311010662&r=5961053962#5961053962

Hope that helps.

phrgflyer1
01-30-2005, 05:09 PM
Hello everyone,

I just got the game today. I cannot get the landing gear to retract on takeoff. I even tried to reassign the key. Nor can I get the gear to extend for landings on the carrier.

Please, someone tell me what is wrong.

I am in the process of downloading the two updates for the standalone version.

Thanks
Harry

EmbarkChief
01-30-2005, 05:40 PM
In the Wildcat, you have manual landing gear. A key needs to be assigned to manual gear up and down.

MGBurrows
02-02-2005, 05:51 PM
What aircraft are you flying? If the prop pitch is not auto make sure it is set at 100%. Same with fuel mixture: 100 - 120%.
The F4F and F2A both require this. Careful with the F2A, he's a twitchy pup on take-off.

MGBurrows
02-04-2005, 10:29 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Martin_078:
Ok got it, how dumb could I be. I got it going but I never make it into the air, I plunge into the sea. I get the engine into 110%, flaps take off, canope open, elevators trim up a little, and chokes off. I can't make it to the air, what should I do. I don't use wheel brake, b button has no effect, so chokes is my last thing before the plane moves once I get it to 110% throttle. I assume that is ok. Thanks guys. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Little help: Canopy / Chocks

You are leaving out two vital steps - mattering on the aircraft you're flying, of course:
A - Prop Pitch.
If you're flying a F2A or a F4F you must set your prop pitch to 100% to generate sufficient power for take-off.
B - Fuel Mixture.
Fuel mixture must be at at least 100% to generate sufficient power.
If you are flying a more advanced aircraft that has auto pitch and auto mix, then I don't know what's wrong. I've read of others having these problems, but I have not experienced them.
Keep in mind, some of the more advanced designs have auto the one, but not the other. Id est: It might have Auto Fuel Mixture, but still have manual Prop Pitch.
Test those and see if it helps.

Tooz_69GIAP
02-04-2005, 10:40 AM
fool proof way of getting off a carrier deck:

Flaps to Landing position

Radiator fully open

throttle 110%

Once engine is at full revs, let go chocks

Raise tail immediately (by pushing forward on the stick

AS SOON AS YOU LEAVE THE DECK - GEAR UP

Maintain level flight until you have gained sufficient speed

Raise flaps, and you are good to go!!

Don't open your canopy, as this will increase your drag, and if you can't get your aircraft to at least 125-130kph before you leave the deck, you're gonna struggle to get it in the air.