PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Seen this before?

Taylortony
07-02-2005, 02:42 PM
From here

http://www.flightjournal.com/fj/plane_profiles/hellcat/hellcat_history.asp

http://www.flightjournal.com/fj/images/plane_profiles/hellcat/shot_up.jpg

This photograph has the words "O'Hare's Favorite" written on the back, making reference to the Medal of Honor winner, Butch O'Hare. Over two hundred bullet holes were counted in the skin of this F6F-3. The Hellcat was a very rugged aircraft, and was able to absorb a great deal of punishment. Note the nine victory flags under the cockpit which indicate that this Hellcat did its share of dishing out punishment as well as taking it.

Bet it sounded like a whistle when it was flying lol

badaboom.1
07-02-2005, 03:23 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_eek.gif.....WOW......That's incredible that none of those 200 rounds made it in to the cockpit to seriously injure BUTCH[THE ACE]O'HARE,Thanks for the link,good stuff http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

horseback
07-02-2005, 03:29 PM
Actually, according to one of my uncles who served in the Pacific (confirmed by the others when questioned), a badly shot-up Hellcat sounded more like a calliope than a whistle...

but the engine always seemed to tick over smoothly.

cheers

horseback

Badsight.
07-02-2005, 03:37 PM
that Hellcat looks like its had a sortie in FB-PF

seriously , thats one shot-to-hell plane

one lucky pilot

Jasko76
07-02-2005, 03:57 PM
Wow!

Talk about having a guardian angel!

WTE_Ibis
07-02-2005, 03:58 PM
There'd be some whining in the Japanese mess about
Olegs' uber Ameriplanes.

WarWolfe_1
07-02-2005, 08:50 PM
Good Lord! thanks for the link.

And yes US planes are ALL THAT!

73GIAP_Milan
07-03-2005, 05:28 AM
Semi related:
In one of my books i have a report of an F4F Wildcat being hit over 200-300 times and it was still flying. A visual report of a Japanese pilot.
He was able to destroy it only by cannonfire after he exhausted all his machinegun ammo in it.

He said he was amazed by the damage it could take when he flew alongside it.
Tail and rudder were totall shredded, the fuselage was filled with small and large holes and the pilot was wounded. After he watched with amazement what that plane had taken he settled behind it again to destroy it.
Unfortunately he did not report how many cannonshells it took, only that he pulled the trigger and the F4F blew apart in a fireball..
Far down below him he saw a parachute opening.

Asgeir_Strips
07-03-2005, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by 73GIAP_Milan:
Semi related:
In one of my books i have a report of an F4F Wildcat being hit over 200-300 times and it was still flying. A visual report of a Japanese pilot.
He was able to destroy it only by cannonfire after he exhausted all his machinegun ammo in it.

He said he was amazed by the damage it could take when he flew alongside it.
Tail and rudder were totall shredded, the fuselage was filled with small and large holes and the pilot was wounded. After he watched with amazement what that plane had taken he settled behind it again to destroy it.
Unfortunately he did not report how many cannonshells it took, only that he pulled the trigger and the F4F blew apart in a fireball..
Far down below him he saw a parachute opening.

that was Saburo Sakai, he emptied his 7.7mm ammo on the F4F, then he flew in formation with it, i think the F4F was stationed on the USS Yorktown or Enterprise.. I think the F4F pilot was called James Sutherland IIRC..

Then after he'd flown in formation for a brief moment, he pulled back, squeezed off 4 or 5 cannon rounds into the engine (after aiming carefully) and the engine burst into flames, and he felt compassion to the other pilot as he bailed out of his stricken aircraft.. He survived.

But Sakai became separated from his flight, so when he started to make his way home, he saw a flight of american planes, he assumed they were fighters but when he approached he was hosed by the SBD's gunner, one .30 cal round hit him in his head, making him blind on his right eye IIRC.

after diving away he lapsed in and out of coma as he tried to make his way home to Lae IIRC, and he finally landed after 8hrs IIRC (if you guys have the manual for CFS2 you can see the picture of him) Later he returned to service in Iwo Jima (with a blind eye) and once he became bounced by 6 F6Fs but timing his turns precisely he escaped without a scratch..

He also flew the Jack IIRC but he stated that the Zero was better.

long after the war he got a ride in the mustang, and after the flight he said: "it is almost as good as the hellcat"

I think every japanese pilots greatest fear was the F6F hellcat, considering the 'Cat had a kill ratio of 19:1 , the highest of em all in the pacific theater