PDA

View Full Version : Oleg: ever thought about moving flight sims to the next generation consoles?

Aeronautico
01-17-2005, 07:35 PM
Just wondering.

The next generation consoles coming out next year will be very advanced for what the hardware specifications are concerned: CPU and GPU will rival or even beat the best PC's CPU and GPU available on the market at that time.

So, graphics and power are there, together with the screen definition (will be able to run on an HDTV or PC screen) and probably the required storage for modding and development (Xbox2 at least is likely to ship an HD version too). Multiplayer capabilities will also be there.
Furthermore, the single and stable hardware configuration would allow a much easier software development, and way steadier/more reliable results. Piracy would be a far lesser problem and the audience would be greatly broadened (consoles' gamers are way more than PCs').

The only missing links appear to be input devices such as joysticks/pedals and keyboard-like, but I'm sure these would be available soon, if they're not already (I'm not in console gaming... yet).

Any thought to share? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Aeronautico
01-17-2005, 07:35 PM
Just wondering.

The next generation consoles coming out next year will be very advanced for what the hardware specifications are concerned: CPU and GPU will rival or even beat the best PC's CPU and GPU available on the market at that time.

So, graphics and power are there, together with the screen definition (will be able to run on an HDTV or PC screen) and probably the required storage for modding and development (Xbox2 at least is likely to ship an HD version too). Multiplayer capabilities will also be there.
Furthermore, the single and stable hardware configuration would allow a much easier software development, and way steadier/more reliable results. Piracy would be a far lesser problem and the audience would be greatly broadened (consoles' gamers are way more than PCs').

The only missing links appear to be input devices such as joysticks/pedals and keyboard-like, but I'm sure these would be available soon, if they're not already (I'm not in console gaming... yet).

Any thought to share? http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

BBB_Hyperion
01-17-2005, 07:59 PM
Fact is most will have to buy a new PC to play a new Flightsim of the next generation therefore this consoles cant be upgraded so improvements like patches would reduce game performance and tweaks and handmade stuff would be hard to add. How many people playing flightsims(sims not arcade like swotl) on console ? Input Device Limits would be next Problem in the end you can easier buy an PC .The major Audience would be 10 to 16+ teens that dont have a clue about flying and critic the developer for beeing biased (we have this now to some degree imagine how it would be with lots more of these). Why wasting money for developing on limited systems ? The developement for Games is possible without coding hardware drivers for this cause directx and other interfaces offer standard access to them . I doubt piracy wouldnt be an issue . As developer you develope for next generation of CPUs already so high end system at this date are capable to running the software this allows to include high performance effects in consoles this is not possible.

Flightsims are a small market and most customers are in the age 30+- upto 60 (oldest i know). And most of these wouldnt buy a console only for gaming purposes. Most People work with PCs on the Job therefore they have 1 at home cause they are familar with it and can do work at home(Excel , Word etc).

Now Imagine the "Wife" reaction when you buy a console that only purpose is gaming. For PC you have always excuses cause you need to "Work" on it.

So all in all i think its a bad idea .)

WUAF_Badsight
01-17-2005, 09:19 PM
a good game is entirely possible on consoles now even , but not Sturmovik

Xbox games recieve patches even now & millions play online with them

but really complex sims like FB/PF should remain on the PC

Recon_609IAP
01-17-2005, 09:36 PM
you guys are starting to sound old http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif It will happen one day be sure.

next gen consoles will hopefully be more and more powerful. I picture some exclusive contracts too - ie. the next great ATI or Nvidia technology that rocks the graphics world for the PS5 http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif And your PC will be outdated by that PS5... lol

The benefit is outstanding someday: configuration nightmares over! Imagine only coding to one hardware spec! Would really cut down on the development time.

Maybe not this batch coming out - but I do see that day arriving faster than you might think.

I can see it now: "Did you get your new XBox3 compatible USB ch pro pedals?"

Certainly there are issues to work out - but if the next gen consoles are easier to maintain, continue to be so much cheaper - then I see a day where you can play games, surf and check email on your 'entertainment center' for under $500 !

Only system I'll need is my programmers wireless laptop http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I think for a game like this, it will be interesting to see what is in the next few next gen consoles.

clint-ruin
01-17-2005, 09:59 PM
Consoles are fast enough to do what they do. Run a PC game at 640x480, 8bit very low res textures, customised-to-hardware with no wasted cycles [say, there's a spare 8k buffer on the network card we can use!] and it'll be fast as a tweaker on a weeklong binge too.

Next gen consoles will start approaching the point where there is enough grunt in the hardware to run something along the lines of an Il2 quality sim - not spectacularly, and not in the same kind of open-sandbox game style we are used to on the PC, but probably close enough for most people who'll buy it. FB is quite playable on a 333mhz Celeron and 128mb if you throw a powerful enough GPU at the thing, and never run more than a half dozen planes or objects - reduce the detail and optimise it a loong way and I'm sure you could cram it into a 64mb XBOX. Expect better as the raw power of consoles increases - some things just take a certain amount of memory to store, or a certain amount of CPU time, and can't be gotten around too easily no matter what the developers do - but good ones can fake it so most people won't tell the difference in 10 hours of play on a rental. Of course - if you want the highest possible fidelity with all the associated nerdo gear - you will instead go for a 5.5ghz 64bit PC with a couple of gig of ram [recommended] where you will see 10s of millions of active items on a continuous real-world map.

The old PCM card 8bit F-16 Falcon game for the Sega Master System sold a few copies too, alongside Interceptor and Gunship and the rest on home computers. Flight simmers will go for the high fidelity stuff on their computer, people who want to kick back for a few hours on the couch will go play Tony A-4 Hawk Underground on the PS3. Don't see this 20 odd year trend being bucked anytime soon.

WUAF_Badsight
01-17-2005, 10:35 PM
consoles are gaming over the net right now

but what they do lack that PCs have is . . . . .

upgradeability

the GPU in the Xbox is just a GF4 Mx 440 64 Mb RAM chipset

in otherwords , the last GF2 re-incarnation

if Consoles are ever going to truely beat PC,s they are going to need to become upgradeable in some way

clint-ruin
01-17-2005, 10:57 PM
AFAIK the XBOX comes with a mutant GF3 GPU with an extra pixel pipeline as in the GF4.

WUAF_Badsight
01-17-2005, 11:39 PM
i got told that the GF3 was more advanced chipset than the GF4 Mx 440 was

& 1 month after the Xbox was out , the GF4 were released

at the time of the Xbox release , it had a better GPU chipset than you could get for PC's

ImpStarDuece
01-18-2005, 12:31 AM
I feel that flight sims, like strategy and turn based games, will only ever be truly siccesful on the PC.

WHY?

Um... actually i dont know why, this is just gut instinct http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Aeronautico
01-18-2005, 02:25 AM
Some of you guys are not aware of the power the new generation consoles will unleash.

Check THIS (http://xbox.gamespy.com/articles/527/527245p1.html) for example. And THIS (http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=7078).

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Recon_609IAP:

Certainly there are issues to work out - but if the next gen consoles are easier to maintain, continue to be so much cheaper - then I see a day where you can play games, surf and check email on your 'entertainment center' for under $500 !

Only system I'll need is my programmers wireless laptop http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exactly my thought.
The X-box2 will probably ship in a "PC version" as well, which will basically be a real WMC PC with closed architecture. Perfect for just about everything we'd do at home: digital entertainement of any sort, Internet browsing, and office applications too.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by WUAF_Badsight:

if Consoles are ever going to truely beat PC,s they are going to need to become upgradeable in some way <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

They already ARE upgradeable! Look at the Play Station: it's going to be upgraded now for the second time! And the X-box is upgrading too: the X-box 2! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif
Besides, a console with an hard disk should be able to let customers... customize their installed software at will, if the developer supports it.

WUAF_Badsight
01-18-2005, 02:42 AM
negative

neither the Xbox or PS2 has any endorsed CPU or GPU upgrades avaialable

what your meaning is the next versions of both machines

clint-ruin
01-18-2005, 02:56 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Aeronautico:
Some of you guys are not aware of the power the new generation consoles will unleash. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Did you get the links wrong? Those go to articles on gamespy and the inquirer. I like the bit where they name exact clockspeeds and TFLOP figures but aren't quite sure as to what the core architecture is going to be.

Funny, funny, funny.

Aeronautico
01-18-2005, 03:24 AM
Yes Badsight, it's the NEXT generation I'm talking about, as per the title of this thread. Hence the wink.

Not the wrong links Clint: that's what I found in my Internet cache, although I read some more. It's merely speculation still, but should picture what we'll see, closely.

Willey
01-18-2005, 04:35 AM
Console = console. So f*** it http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/mockface.gif

Sounds harsh, but it is. Console is for Gaming, mainly for the younger players that don't want to mess around with HW and SW, just play. Maybe we'll have a new CFS for XBox2 excluselively soon, but I wouldn't try a Sim on it http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/59.gif

WWSensei
01-18-2005, 05:39 AM
Most serious gamers spend what on their rigs? $1500-$2500 (US)? That's ten times the cost of the average console.

The large home market won't spend much more than $300 for a console. That's what an XBox cost when it was introduced and it got troucned by the PS2 in sales and Microsoft was losing a bundle. Wasn't until they dropped the price to $200 before it really sold in enough volume.

When they can manufacturer the hardware for about an order of magnitude cheaper than they do now then you will see an increase. Not saying it's impossible (actually quite likely) just pointing out the disparity in costs we have today. High costs is a barrier to market entry.

Aeronautico
01-18-2005, 06:23 AM
By the way: I'm not suggesting anything like "reducing flight sims to console games" or something; what I'm talking about is producing full real (although scalable) flight simulations exploiting the new advanced hardware characteristic that the next generation consoles should bring, and the relative advantages.

I'd love to hear Oleg says what he thinks about it.

SeaFireLIV
01-18-2005, 07:36 AM
No. Respectfully, it`s NOT about `next generation` at all. The technology is there to make great strategy/ flight sims on consoles.

The problem is there`s a pervading attitude that console players don`t want games that take time, or are realistic or even well made. The console makers think that all console buyers want are flash graphics, easy gameplay and plenty of cheat books.

I`m not sure where this attitude comes from, but programmers only go here to make money quickly and easily by providing games that are the equivalent of Hamburgers.

There are some relatively good long games like Morrowind (though it could hardly be called a sim!), but that`s about it.

It`s not the technology, it`s the MINDSET of whoever produces games onto consoles.

p.s Of course IL2 on a console would have to make some sacrifices (fewer aircraft, less complex FM/DMs), but I believe if done correctly, it could work on a console and NOT be arcade.

AWL_Spinner
01-18-2005, 10:13 AM
If a console had a USB2 bus and open driver architecture to allow the addition of the latest TrackIR, multiple Joysticks, Throttles, Pedals in varying configurations, Nostromo like devices, keyboards, custom instrument stacks....

This is a fairly unique gaming niche that relies on upgradeability and lots of genre-limited peripherals. It lives and breathes in a PC world. If a console had the flexibility above it would be edging toward being a PC anyway!

All very well if the next generation devices are that flexible but then they're not going to be consoles, by today's definition.

WUAF_Badsight
01-18-2005, 10:43 AM
wow we got some swaggering PC gaming egos in this thread

fact is that both the next Xbox & PS are going to be close to our PCs right now

game companies have been focusing on the console market for over a year now more than PC users

Chuck_Older
01-18-2005, 02:28 PM
So, let me get this straight

Consoles are going to get more powerful real soon,

but PCs will stay just like they are right now

pardon me for a mirth break
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif

Recon_609IAP
01-18-2005, 03:32 PM
Can someone lock this thread, make a sticky, and we come back in 5 years or so?

Cause I will laugh at how rigid the thinking is. As stated in topic - NEXT gen consoles.

Can't you picture that eventually the console will make contracts with video card companies, etc...?

Do you have any inkling of how much money video games bring in???

Games themselves bring in so much money that Microsoft knew they lost money on every XBox sold, but that was pennies compared to how much they would make in software sales.

I wasn't talking about current system anyway.

Aeronautico
01-18-2005, 03:42 PM
Chuck. Relax. Concentrate. Read again. Cheers.

spud2009
01-18-2005, 05:03 PM
I think the next gen consoles (ie,xbox2 with 11. gigs!)are going to hurt pc gaming.Why buy a $2,000. pc when You can get more power from a $400.console?

Cragger
01-18-2005, 05:18 PM
I think many of you thinking of 'next generation' consoles aren't thinking of what makes a console a console.

1. They must be cheap in comparison to the PC hardware they are developed from.

2. They must be compact in comparison to the PC hardware they are developed from.

3. They must be universally identical save small 'addons' that are generally not REQUIRED to play a title.

The guts of consoles are developed from PC hardware. To maintain their low cost and therefore low price point they must use several generations back hardware that is easily condensed with applications of new cooling technology and circuit layout. A top of the line GPU costs 300-400 American Dollars that the price of a console alone and it can't do anything by itself. Memory also must be kept at a minimum because it is expensive and would raise costs again hampering software development.

And at a very mimimum even if a console where to be made today utilizing the latest in PC hardware without regards to cost it takes alot of time to figure out how to shrink it down stuff it into a cube,rectange, whatever. Market it and get titles lined up for it (Failure in this area is what killed Nintendo 64). All during this development phase PC hardware advances are continually trudging along. It is impossible to redesign a console on the fly using new technologies as they appear, progress would never be made.

This is the advantage PC's have in their modularity. A new GPU only has to conform to a interface package 'AGP' and a operation systems support and space is generally not a huge issue in PCs. New memory requires either a soft upgrade (BIOS) or a new motherboard where the old parts can be dropped in.

clint-ruin
01-18-2005, 06:31 PM
Recon, every console since the first one has been the best next new thing that will revolutionise the world as we know it.

Hasn't happened yet.

How can I put this another way:

An XBOX is more than capable of running Windows 95 as an OS faster than when it was first released on PCs. The hardware guts is a lot more capable. People run linux on it as it is. But the XBOX has not revolutionised the world as a home PC / entertainment system among any group of people other than the fringes of those heavily involved in the computer scene. The PSX could do Win3.11 functionality just the same, Sony even brought out a linux distro for the PS2 themselves. But that didn't change the world either.

Being able to run whatever was the best thing 5 years ago doesn't count for a great deal in the market they are trying to reach. With next gen consoles, there will be next gen PCs.

Next would be, since the consoles and computers are using almost the exact same technologies - it is far easier for the computer to remain more powerful. Whatever cheap hardware you can stick in a console for mass production, you can also stick in a PC - and twice as much of it. PS3 or XBOX will be very much along the lines of cheap midrange computer hardware at the time of their release just as the PSX and the NES were. Whatever you can do for $300, you can do more than twice as much as that for $600. Always been that way. It's practically a function of Moores law.

LEXX_Luthor
01-18-2005, 08:18 PM
Intsinct is correct indeed.... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

ImpStarDuece:: <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I feel that flight sims, like strategy and turn based games, will only ever be truly siccesful on the PC.

WHY?

Um... actually i dont know why, this is just gut instinct http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
With Console, you can give up hope of having something like Full Mission Builder. With Console, we only play the canned missions from the arcade game developers. Maybe 3rd Parties who paid for Console development tools can make and sell missions.

Or can you actually make deep intense PC software for the Console, and transfer mission files to CD or floppy like we do FB mission files?

If not, Console is the end of flight simming.

ImpStarDuece
01-19-2005, 12:36 AM
Just been doinga little thinking:

1)Consider the audience who can afford a new top of the line console, next gen system included

2)Consider the auidence who can afford a top of the line PC

Now,

Consider the audience who enjoys FPSers, platform games, arcade style shooters, mech games and survival horror games

then,

Consider the audience who enjoys historical realism in their games and play flight sims.

Thus rests the case for the negative

269GA-Maxmars
01-19-2005, 01:31 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LEXX_Luthor:
Intsinct is correct indeed.... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

ImpStarDuece:: <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I feel that flight sims, like strategy and turn based games, will only ever be truly siccesful on the PC.

WHY?

Um... actually i dont know why, this is just gut instinct http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
With Console, you can give up hope of having something like Full Mission Builder. With Console, we only play the canned missions from the arcade game developers. Maybe 3rd Parties who paid for Console development tools can make and sell missions.

Or can you actually make deep intense PC software for the Console, and transfer mission files to CD or floppy like we do FB mission files?

If not, Console is the end of flight simming. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

One of the most succesfull GameBoy Advance titles, Advance Wars (I and II, if you will), has a full mission builder and you can trade missions with your friends, through the network. By the way, AW is one fine turn-based strategy game, both in single player and multiplayer. Quite above the average PC strategy title.

Not only that, but you can actually BOOT a game through the network (GBA can connect multiple consoles at once), i.e. without having the cartridge plugged in your own console. So, you can have four people playing with a single cartridge.

Of course this was yesterday's technology, on a portable console. The Nintendo DS has WiFi right from the start, double screen and touchscreen, enough CPU power to run 3D games at least as good as N64 ones.

And, let me tell you, Pilot Wings 64 [circa 1996] was one of the best flight sims I've played.
http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/screenshots/2/198292/pilotwin_screen002.jpg

Aeronautico
01-19-2005, 08:41 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Cragger:
I think many of you thinking of 'next generation' consoles aren't thinking of what makes a console a console. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

All true but...

I was not meant to say that the consoles to come would be better or on par to PCs for years to come. My point is that they will be good enough to run a complex flight sim, with the added value of a stable and unique architecture which allows developers to deliver more stable and opimised software, overcoming the faults of what would otherwise be a worse (cheaper) hardware than the leading edge PC (costing 10x more). When the time to move forward and upgrade comes, here it comes the furher generation console, costing less then the upmarket video card alone that would be required to update (way more often) a PC.

That's all. There are more advantages than disadvantages making console gaming more realistic and less arcadish. For everybody.

LEXX_Luthor
01-19-2005, 09:01 AM
MaxMars:: <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>One of the most succesfull GameBoy Advance titles, Advance Wars (I and II, if you will), has a full mission builder and you can trade missions with your friends, through the network. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
That Sounds good. Thanks.

Aeronautico
01-22-2005, 04:25 AM
WE bumpage.

Lav69
01-23-2005, 07:48 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by WUAF_Badsight:
wow we got some swaggering PC gaming egos in this thread

fact is that both the next Xbox & PS are going to be close to our PCs right now

game companies have been focusing on the console market for over a year now more than PC users <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nope...you are wrong. With PCI Exp. and dual vid card technology you are living a pipe dream. Its a price issue. Consoles appeal to peeps who cant afford a good PC rig. Maybe that is your problem so you want us to believe this ****. And yes console are selling good, because they are cheap. Get it CHEAP.

TooCool_12f
01-23-2005, 10:44 AM
a few things should be reminded:

- electronics manufacturers (AMD, intel, nvidia, ati, etc, etc..) develop new hardware all the time. it costs money, and you'll have to pay for it. if you develop it for a console only, the price of the console will be extremely high (definitely not 300$). If you want to keep your price low, you'll have to re-use the hardware that has been developped for something else (like the 700Mhz CPU used in XBox).. which means that you'll be far behind the top of the PC market

- the reason why consoles give you such nice looking graphics is that they don't do anything else besides. extremely limited Ai, small evolution areas (maps), simplified functions (controls), basically, you won't get anywhere near todays PCs in functionalities and complexity (needed in simulations)... unless you make it: a PC.

- oleg, since we talk about his next projects, would have no interest whatsoever in developing for consoles. BoB is supposed to be the starting point of a series of sims that should be added over each other, taking into account the advances in PC performance through several years... imagine what the "next generation" console will be several years after its first sales... it would be like trying to play PF on a 500Mhz/128MB/TNT64 PC...

Badsight.
01-23-2005, 12:39 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lav69:
Nope...you are wrong. With PCI Exp. and dual vid card technology you are living a pipe dream. Its a price issue. Consoles appeal to peeps who cant afford a good PC rig. Maybe that is your problem so you want us to believe this ****. And yes console are selling good, because they are cheap. Get it CHEAP. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
whats with the attitude ?

game makers have been focusing on the console market for the last year more-so than the PC one , that isnt conjecture , & if you take a look , console games are just as expensive as PC games

from whats been rumered , the next generation consoles are absolutly going to have similer CPU & GPU power that modern PC's have right now

PC elietisim reigns ?

Aeronautico
01-23-2005, 01:29 PM
Cutting-edge PC games that require very good hardware are systematically ported to consoles too. HL2, Far Cry anyone?

And speaking about myself, once again I repeat: I don't expect consoles' hardware to become more advanced to PCs', obviously.
I only say that it may be good enough (and even better for the aforementioned optimizations) to perform better than nowadays best PCs, and would bring better revenues to Maddox/UBI, cost less for the simmers (thus extending the simmers' base), and would not require neither the customers to run after better and better hardware, nor the developers to keep the sim consdtantly changing but at the next consoles' generation.
About the complexity of PCs' imput devices compared to consoles' ones, I say again that I'd expect new products to appear on the market.

STOP LOOKING at the way consoles are NOW, and look at what they COULD be, should there be a market to support the cahnge!

Mjollnir111675
01-24-2005, 09:26 AM
Another idea is to release a slimmed down console version only port to expand the customer base. If not to only bring this dev team and the franchise to more ppl. Or a coin-op Arcade version!! Hmm anyone have an old beat up full version AFTERBURNER??
I am tellin ALL of you, take this same game to a console and *FRIZZLE-FRAP!* NO more copy/trade issues! WANNA MAKE A BET?? EVERYONE and their dead caveman ancestors knows that!!
&lt;Enter your rebuttal&gt;
Still it doesn't matter Sony or whoever would have taken care of their business so the devs could've taken care of theirs!!The sheer publicity would ENTICE the trade/copy holders into WANTING to participate! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/mockface.gif
As far as being anywhere near what this sim is now on a future console: Why not?
Slim down the a/c selection, agree upon F&D.M.'s and clean it up for consoles.And dont try to include everything on one installment.The console crowd dont rely on patches!! they rely on out of box playability!!But those days are slowly coming to an end as well! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif
Heck yeah I had problems with my B-17 Bomber on my Intellivision w/ Intellivoice add-on but I didnt go screamin fer a patch because the bombers F&D.M. wasn't right either!! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif For real anyone remember that game?!?
There is no doubt that if it were ever to happen sales would be far higher on a console than for the p.c. And that alone irks alot of ppl.But it shouldn't. It only introduces a younger crowd who will most likely form a good relationship with the dev and then go on to purchase the same dev teams work for the p.c.But this is a Tactical/strategic business maneuver.Tactically it provides funds for the pc game in development currently(Alot better job than Patch-ific Fumblers is/was) and strategically it would bring the current consolers right into their future sims(1-15 yrs. in future).Ex: Myself and almost any game made by Konami! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/10.gif &lt;Has to be Castlevania!!)
My sons play CoD on their ps2 and I play on the p.c.My nephew,he comes over and plays BOTH!! I could really see them getting into a console version of fb/aep to help them atleast sprout wings and encourage an interest to graduate up to my pc version with the minimum of "Platform Shock" as I like to call it.Which leads me to this:
but as for peripherals, sometime back in October I believe, E.B. games had as a pre-order bonus with Ace combat 5 or 6? whichever, and it looked IDENTICAL to Saitek's X-45! I did actually think of getting it for my sons that way they could get used to the whole stick and throttle feel and graduate up to fb/aep/pf with my x-45 w/o destroying it. I have since not been able to find one. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/1072.gif
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/10.gif &lt;Maybe a future Sony EyeToy" will be more like a Trackir3 pro!!)
And I still feel that vox command tech is far better utilized on a console(ala SOCOM I&II) than when compared to p.c. couterparts(ala Enigma) http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/1072.gif
So the input/peripheral topic is not withstanding for current consoles.Especially the next incarnations.
And BTW does anyone know who Sony has chosen for their future GPU? http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

HEY 1-C: PIMP OUR TORP PLANES!! ALL NATIONS ,ALL STATIONS!!

Aeronautico
01-25-2005, 08:44 AM
I had that game (B-17 Bomber with Intellivoiceā®)!

Must have been my fist "flight sim", and I enjoyed a lot. I remember how realistic I thought it was... There is some emulated version on PC around, taht I tried a couple of years back. So sweet! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif What problem did you have with it?

TooCool_12f
01-25-2005, 12:55 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>STOP LOOKING at the way consoles are NOW, and look at what they COULD be, should there be a market to support the cahnge <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

for a valid comparison, you should also look at the PCs as they "could" be... and you get the same picture as now, "simple stuff" for consoles and "complex stuff" on PC http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

as for reducing the budget.. if you have to buy a new console for each new version of the sim, and forgetr bout the previous one (if not compatible), I'd rather stick to PCs. you'll never get all ple fronts and planes at once, and, therefore, only the PCs offer sufficient evolutivity to follow the improvements brought by new versions. consoles are good for "kleenex" games. you play, and then you switch to another one, not for evolutive stuff

gates123
01-25-2005, 05:02 PM
yeah like xbox or ps2 is going to be track ir compatible and have 4 usb ports for my closet full of devices. O im sure it'll look good with the config.ini listing 0's all the way down the list with a whopping 17fps.